Обсуждение: Converting 7.x to 8.x

Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Carlos

What would be the faster way to convert a 7.4.x database into an 8.x database?  A dump of the database takes over 20 hours so we want to convert the database without having to do a dump and resptore.

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Chris
Carlos wrote:
> What would be the faster way to convert a 7.4.x database into an 8.x
> database?  A dump of the database takes over 20 hours so we want to
> convert the database without having to do a dump and resptore.

That's your only option as far as I know (I'm sure someone will correct
me if that's not the case).

You can't do a binary conversion or anything like that because the
postgres internals are different between major versions.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 15:43:19 +1100,
  Chris <dmagick@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carlos wrote:
> >What would be the faster way to convert a 7.4.x database into an 8.x
> >database?  A dump of the database takes over 20 hours so we want to
> >convert the database without having to do a dump and resptore.
>
> That's your only option as far as I know (I'm sure someone will correct
> me if that's not the case).
>
> You can't do a binary conversion or anything like that because the
> postgres internals are different between major versions.

People use slony to do this. You can ask on the slony list for more
details.

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Benjamin Smith
Дата:
On Tuesday 23 January 2007 13:55, Carlos wrote:
> What would be the faster way to convert a 7.4.x database into an 8.x
> database?  A dump of the database takes over 20 hours so we want to convert
> the database without having to do a dump and resptore.

You've probably already accounted for this, but make sure you've tried your
options for loading the database. Using long ("insert") form vs copy can make
a *huge* performance difference.

(Hours vs seconds, in some cases!)

-Ben
- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Jan 25, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 13:55, Carlos wrote:
>> What would be the faster way to convert a 7.4.x database into an 8.x
>> database?  A dump of the database takes over 20 hours so we want
>> to convert
>> the database without having to do a dump and resptore.
>
> You've probably already accounted for this, but make sure you've
> tried your
> options for loading the database. Using long ("insert") form vs
> copy can make
> a *huge* performance difference.

In case no one's mentioned it already, you can also perform this
migration using Slony, by making the 7.4 database the master, and
replicating to an 8.x database.

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
"Anton Melser"
Дата:
On 26/01/07, Jim Nasby <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 January 2007 13:55, Carlos wrote:
> >> What would be the faster way to convert a 7.4.x database into an 8.x
> >> database?  A dump of the database takes over 20 hours so we want
> >> to convert
> >> the database without having to do a dump and resptore.
> >
> > You've probably already accounted for this, but make sure you've
> > tried your
> > options for loading the database. Using long ("insert") form vs
> > copy can make
> > a *huge* performance difference.
>
> In case no one's mentioned it already, you can also perform this
> migration using Slony, by making the 7.4 database the master, and
> replicating to an 8.x database.

In case this is not what you meant above, you can pipe a dump directly
into psql, so that keeps it to only 20hrs...
Cheers
Antoine

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:
On Jan 27, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Using slony or "piped pg_dump" requires that you have *double* the
> amount of disk space.  Having a *very large* database and double
> capacity of SCSI disks (including storage controllers, shelves, etc,
> etc) is expensive, and might not be available.

Then one must decide which costs more: 20+ hours of downtime or some
disks and a computer...

Вложения

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
On Jan 27, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Using slony or "piped pg_dump" requires that you have *double* the
> amount of disk space.  Having a *very large* database and double
> capacity of SCSI disks (including storage controllers, shelves, etc,
> etc) is expensive, and might not be available.

You sure it has to be SCSI?

Even better question... how are you backing up right now? Are you
ready to accept the huge amount of downtime to restore from backup if
your server explodes?

In any case, there is an update utility for 8.1->8.2... you could
look into hacking that to work for 7.4->8.*.

Re: Converting 7.x to 8.x

От
Ron Johnson
Дата: