Обсуждение: invalid data in PID file

invalid data in PID file

От
"J S B"
Дата:
Hi,

I'm trying to start my postgres server using

#> pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/abc

and get an error like:

invalid data in PID file "/usr/local/pgsql/abc/postmaster.pid"

can anyone comment whats wrong.

My postmaster.pid file is empty at the time when i run this command.

Regards,
Jas

Re: invalid data in PID file

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 02:50:59PM -0400, J S B wrote:
> I'm trying to start my postgres server using
>
> #> pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/abc
>
> and get an error like:
>
> invalid data in PID file "/usr/local/pgsql/abc/postmaster.pid"
>
> can anyone comment whats wrong.
>
> My postmaster.pid file is empty at the time when i run this command.

I think the fact that it's empty may be what's wrong. It should have
something in it.

How did you manage to get into that state?

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения

Re: invalid data in PID file

От
"J S B"
Дата:
i never touched it. when i opened it to check the stuff  inside, found it empty.
What should i do now?

--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: invalid data in PID file

От
"J S B"
Дата:
I deleted postmaster.pid file and got rid of the previous error.
Now its a new error which say something as follows after i try starting my postgres server usring pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/jsbali    :-

postmaster starting
LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
FATAL:  could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied

Can you please tell me what is this all about?

Jas

i never touched it. when i opened it to check the stuff  inside, found it empty.
What should i do now?

On 10/11/06, Martijn van Oosterhout < kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 02:50:59PM -0400, J S B wrote:
> I'm trying to start my postgres server using
>
> #> pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/abc
>
> and get an error like:
>
> invalid data in PID file "/usr/local/pgsql/abc/postmaster.pid"
>
> can anyone comment whats wrong.
>
> My postmaster.pid file is empty at the time when i run this command.

I think the fact that it's empty may be what's wrong. It should have
something in it.

How did you manage to get into that state?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org >   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Re: invalid data in PID file

Дата:
"J S B" <jsbali@gmail.com> writes:
> FATAL:  could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
> denied

> Can you please tell me what is this all about?

It looks to me like you have, or had, another postmaster running under a
different userid.  Perhaps you should back up to the beginning and tell
us what you've been doing with this installation.

            regards, tom lane

Re: invalid data in PID file

От
Madison Kelly
Tom Lane wrote:
> "J S B" <jsbali@gmail.com> writes:
>> FATAL:  could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
>> denied
>
>> Can you please tell me what is this all about?
>
> It looks to me like you have, or had, another postmaster running under a
> different userid.  Perhaps you should back up to the beginning and tell
> us what you've been doing with this installation.
>
>             regards, tom lane

IIRC, I had that happen on a botched upgrade of postgres. Even if I did
a reinstall it wasn't enough. Under Debian I had to try upgrading again,
then do a "complete uninstall" (or something similar), then a fresh
reinstall and it finally worked again. It happened a couple of times and
I never figured out why. Hasn't happened lately though.

Madi

Re: invalid data in PID file

От
"J S B"
Дата:
Actually i've been trying to setup my postgres database in a new machine.
the machine that i'm using right now is goin to die very soon. So i was trying to restore it in another machine but before that I have to install postgres in this new machine.

I installed postgres successfully, created a DB cluster using initdb comand after creating a user account that would use postgres and made it the owned of the location where DB was initialized.

Then I started my postgres service using
pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/jsbali

That was the very first time i started it and it did not give me any errors.
After that I created a new DB server using PGAdmin3 and the server was created successfully.
When i tried connecting to this server, i gave me an error Ident Authentication failed and wanted me to do appropriate changes in pg_hba.conf file
However, in pg_hba.conf file, i have the settings for the trusted connection.
pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf files i copied from my old Db server and overwrote on the ones that were created as a result of initidb in the new database.

Right after this point, pg_ctl start, stop and reload doesn't work at all.

There was some problem with postmaster.pid file, so i just removed it.

The last error that i got after tryin to start postgres is :

could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use.
HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not , wait a few seconds and retry.
LOG: could not bind IPv$ socket: Address already in use
HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not , wait a few seconds and retry.
WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "*"
FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets

"J S B" <jsbali@gmail.com> writes:
> FATAL:  could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
> denied

> Can you please tell me what is this all about?

It looks to me like you have, or had, another postmaster running under a
different userid.  Perhaps you should back up to the beginning and tell
us what you've been doing with this installation.

                        regards, tom lane

Re: invalid data in PID file

Дата:
"J S B" <jsbali@gmail.com> writes:
> There was some problem with postmaster.pid file, so i just removed it.

Without bothering to stop the old postmaster first, I take it.

At this point your best bet is to find out the PID of the old postmaster
with "ps" and then kill it with "kill -INT <pid>".  I suspect you've
also been sloppy about which userid you've been starting the postmaster
under ... you have to be consistent about that.

            regards, tom lane

Re: invalid data in PID file

От
"J S B"
Дата:
Well, I've been very particular with the user id. There's just one single user ID am working on my postgres with.
when i start the postgres, it creates the follwoing processes for postgres:

1 S jsbali    4034  4033  0  76   0 -  2489 -      15:41 pts/2    00:00:00 postgres: logger process
1 S jsbali    4036  4033  0  75   0 -  5042 -      15:41 pts/2    00:00:00 postgres: writer process
1 S jsbali    4037  4033  0  76   0 -  2739 -      15:41 pts/2    00:00:00 postgres: stats buffer process
1 S jsbali    4038  4037  0  83   0 -  2547 -      15:41 pts/2    00:00:00 postgres: stats collector process

and gives the follwoing error

LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.

At this point I would have no option but to kill -INT 4033. I do a ps -elf | grep jsbali again after this kill and i have nothing for postgres running. Good enough.

Then i try to start postgres again and it gives me the same error:

LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.

It ends up being a cyclic problem.
Don't know how to get rid of it now.

Thanks,
Jas

On 10/11/06, Tom Lane < tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"J S B" < jsbali@gmail.com> writes:
> There was some problem with postmaster.pid file, so i just removed it.

Without bothering to stop the old postmaster first, I take it.

At this point your best bet is to find out the PID of the old postmaster
with "ps" and then kill it with "kill -INT <pid>".  I suspect you've
also been sloppy about which userid you've been starting the postmaster
under ... you have to be consistent about that.

                        regards, tom lane

Re: invalid data in PID file

> Then i try to start postgres again and it gives me the same error:

> LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: Address already in use
> HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a
> few seconds and retry.

Um, have you tried waiting a bit as the hint suggests?

If the port is still claimed after a minute or two, then there must be
some process holding onto it.  netstat and/or lsof might help you find
out what.

            regards, tom lane