Обсуждение: Mapping/DB Migration tool

Mapping/DB Migration tool

От
"MC Moisei"
Дата:
Hi,

I'm looking to migrate psql db1 to a psql db2 that has a different structure
even though 70% would be the same. I'd need a tool that allows me to map
field to field and then migrate the data from one db to another. Needless to
say that preserving data integrity is very important.

Any good idea what would be the best approach ?

Thanks,
Constantin
http://www.goodstockimages.com

Re: Mapping/DB Migration tool

От
Pavel Golub
Дата:
Hello, MC.

Only human can do this. Moreover, if "data integrity is very
important".

Regards

--
With best wishes,
 Pavel                          mailto:pavel@microolap.com

Re: Mapping/DB Migration tool

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Jul 25, 2006, at 2:59 PM, MC Moisei wrote:

> I'm looking to migrate psql db1 to a psql db2 that has a different
> structure even though 70% would be the same. I'd need a tool that
> allows me to map field to field and then migrate the data from one
> db to another. Needless to say that preserving data integrity is
> very important.

I'm not aware of any migration tool to help on this (other than a
good SQL editor ;). It seems the best approach is to load an exact
copy of db1 and then write a script to transform it into db2,
creating, dropping, and altering the structure as necessary.

I think there are some tools (EMS?) that can compare schemas and
generate the SQL to transform db1 to db2. But there is a good chance
an automated approach like this will not transform data the way you
want.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL