Re: Mapping/DB Migration tool

От John DeSoi
Тема Re: Mapping/DB Migration tool
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Jul 25, 2006, at 2:59 PM, MC Moisei wrote:

> I'm looking to migrate psql db1 to a psql db2 that has a different
> structure even though 70% would be the same. I'd need a tool that
> allows me to map field to field and then migrate the data from one
> db to another. Needless to say that preserving data integrity is
> very important.

I'm not aware of any migration tool to help on this (other than a
good SQL editor ;). It seems the best approach is to load an exact
copy of db1 and then write a script to transform it into db2,
creating, dropping, and altering the structure as necessary.

I think there are some tools (EMS?) that can compare schemas and
generate the SQL to transform db1 to db2. But there is a good chance
an automated approach like this will not transform data the way you
want.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL