Обсуждение: How to access a table from one database to another database

How to access a table from one database to another database

От
"VivekanandaSwamy R."

Hai all,
I have 2 databases namee PAO and CAS.
PAO contains 3 schemas named Public,pao,sts
CAS contains 4 schemas named Public,cao,sts,reports

Now  i am in PAO database..now i want access table 'activity' in schema 'cas' in CAS database.
How it is posible.

2nd thing is...

i have 2 servers access i.e local and mainserver.

How access table from one server to another server?

please tel me...because we need this one

Vivekananda.R | Software Engineer | CGDA Program.
Infinite Computer Solutions India Pvt. Ltd.|Exciting Times ... Infinite Possibilities...
SEI-CMMI level 5 | ISO 9001:2000
IT SERVICES | BPO |
Telecom | Finance | Healthcare | Manufacturing |
Energy & Utilities | Retail & Distribution | Government

Tel +91-80-4133 0000-2 Ext:3006 | Mobile: 9986463365
Fax +91-80-513-10853 | www.infics.com
USA | United Kingdom | India | China | Singapore | Malaysia |Hong Kong

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to Infinite Computer Solutions and / or its Customers and is intended for use only by the individual or the entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at info.in@infics.com and delete this email from your records.

Re: How to access a table from one database to another

От
John Purser
Дата:
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:26:55 +0530
"VivekanandaSwamy R." <VivekanandaSwamyr@infics.com> wrote:

> Hai all,
> I have 2 databases namee PAO and CAS.
> PAO contains 3 schemas named Public,pao,sts
> CAS contains 4 schemas named Public,cao,sts,reports
>
> Now  i am in PAO database..now i want access table 'activity' in
> schema 'cas' in CAS database.
> How it is posible.
>
> 2nd thing is...
>
> i have 2 servers access i.e local and mainserver.
>
> How access table from one server to another server?
>
> please tel me...because we need this one

Vivekananda,

I hope you just want the first one.  I think what you need is to
re-think your database design.

From the PostgreSQL manual:
"A PostgreSQL database cluster contains one or more named databases.
Users and groups of users are shared across the entire cluster, but no
other data is shared across databases. Any given client connection to
the server can access only the data in a single database, the one
specified in the connection request."
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ddl-schemas.html

Now your CLIENT can connect to two different databases with two
different connections and ditto for connecting to two different
clusters.

John Purser

 --
Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
        -- Mark Twain

Re: How to access a table from one database to another database

От
"Gregory S. Williamson"
Дата:
Possible dblink, in the ./contrib directory would help ? I have never had to use it but it seems like it might be what
youneed.

HTH,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC

Vivekananda.R <mailto:vivekanandaswamyr@infics.com>  | Software Engineer

Fax +91-80-513-10853 | www.infics.com <http://www.infics.com/>

USA | United Kingdom | India | China | Singapore | Malaysia |Hong Kong

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to Infinite Computer Solutions and / or its Customers and is
intendedfor use only by the individual or the entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is
privileged,confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it
appearsthat this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or
disseminationof this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at
info.in@infics.comand delete this email from your records.

!DSPAM:44b875fa155491804284693!

Re: How to access a table from one database to another

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
VivekanandaSwamy R. wrote:

> Hai all,
> I have 2 databases namee PAO and CAS.
> PAO contains 3 schemas named Public,pao,sts
> CAS contains 4 schemas named Public,cao,sts,reports
>
> Now  i am in PAO database..now i want access table 'activity' in
> schema 'cas' in CAS database.
> How it is posible.
>
> 2nd thing is...
>
> i have 2 servers access i.e local and mainserver.
>
> How access table from one server to another server?
>
> please tel me...because we need this one

This can be done with DBlink which is a contrib module.

see the FAQ item number 4.17 for more info
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html

--
Tony Caduto
http://www.amsoftwaredesign.com

Re: How to access a table from one database to another database

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  15.07.2006, um 10:26:55 +0530 mailte VivekanandaSwamy R. folgendes:
> Now  i am in PAO database..now i want access table 'activity' in schema
> 'cas' in CAS database.
> How it is posible.
> How access table from one server to another server?

08:02 < akretschmer> ??dblink
08:02 < rtfm_please> For information about dblink
08:02 < rtfm_please> see http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/contrib/dblink/
08:02 < rtfm_please> or http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dblink-tds/

Read this.

HTH, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer    (Kontakt: siehe Header)
Heynitz:  035242/47215,      D1: 0160/7141639