Обсуждение: Postmaster is starting but shutting when trying to connect (Windows)

Postmaster is starting but shutting when trying to connect (Windows)

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Hello,

i have a PostgreSQL (8.1) installation for testing purposes which was
running fine for several months now (Windows XP). I was working with it
yesterday, and today after booting my computer and restarting the
service (I'm starting the service manually, because I don't need the
server running all the time) postmaster comes up fine, no entries in the
log file.

But as soon as I try to connect to the server (does not matter what type
of client, psql, PgAdmin or JDBC) I get an error message in the log
file. Here is the full log file:

2006-07-07 09:18:15 LOG:  database system was shut down at 2006-07-07
09:14:00 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit
2006-07-07 09:18:15 LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/3C82F60
2006-07-07 09:18:15 LOG:  redo record is at 0/3C82F60; undo record is at
0/0; shutdown TRUE
2006-07-07 09:18:15 LOG:  next transaction ID: 100576; next OID: 19416
2006-07-07 09:18:15 LOG:  next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0
2006-07-07 09:18:15 LOG:  database system is ready
2006-07-07 09:18:15 LOG:  transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484148,
limited by database "postgres"

2006-07-07 08:43:54 LOG:  incomplete startup packet
2006-07-07 08:44:18 LOG:  could not receive data from client: An
operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

2006-07-07 08:44:18 LOG:  incomplete startup packet
2006-07-07 08:45:27 LOG:  received fast shutdown request
2006-07-07 08:45:27 LOG:  shutting down
2006-07-07 08:45:27 LOG:  database system is shut down
2006-07-07 08:45:28 LOG:  logger shutting down

I already checked with netstat whether I have something running on port
5432 and I changed the port in posgresql.conf just to make sure it's not
cause by another process that locks port 5432 that I'm not aware of. But
still the same thing

There is no firewall active which would block that port either (and - as
I said before I shut down my computer yesterday evening it was working fine)

There is also no postmaster.pid file hanging around when I shut down the
service.

Any hints what I could try to fix this?

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Re: Postmaster is starting but shutting when trying to connect (Windows)

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
On 07.07.2006 09:20 Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have a PostgreSQL (8.1) installation for testing purposes which was
> running fine for several months now (Windows XP). I was working with it
> yesterday, and today after booting my computer and restarting the
> service (I'm starting the service manually, because I don't need the
> server running all the time) postmaster comes up fine, no entries in the
> log file.
>
> But as soon as I try to connect to the server (does not matter what type
> of client, psql, PgAdmin or JDBC) I get an error message in the log
> file.

Follow up:

when I start Postgres "manually" i.e. from a commandline running as the
postgres user, using pg_ctl, then everything is working fine.

When I use "net start" to start the Postgres Service I cannot connect

Cheers
Thomas

Re: Postmaster is starting but shutting when trying to connect (Windows)

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
> Hello,
>
> i have a PostgreSQL (8.1) installation for testing purposes
> which was running fine for several months now (Windows XP). I
> was working with it yesterday, and today after booting my
> computer and restarting the service (I'm starting the service
> manually, because I don't need the server running all the
> time) postmaster comes up fine, no entries in the log file.
>
> But as soon as I try to connect to the server (does not
> matter what type of client, psql, PgAdmin or JDBC) I get an
> error message in the log file. Here is the full log file:

This looks exactly like the issues we've seen with broken antivirus or
personal firewall software. Make sure you don't have any such installed
(actualy installed, not just enabled), and if you do try to uninstall
them. If you don't, but had before, check for any remaining pieces.
There should be posts in the archives with details about it.

Again, note that just disabling things usually isn't enough, you need to
actually uninstall.

//Magnus

Re: Postmaster is starting but shutting when trying to connect (Windows)

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote on 08.07.2006 06:21:
> This looks exactly like the issues we've seen with broken antivirus or
> personal firewall software. Make sure you don't have any such installed
> (actualy installed, not just enabled), and if you do try to uninstall
> them. If you don't, but had before, check for any remaining pieces.
> There should be posts in the archives with details about it.

Thanks for the hint. In the meantime I could actually nail it down to my UMTS
Software that was installed recently.

Now I need to find a way on how to keep the UMTS Software but still have PG up
and running.

Could you image why running as a service makes PG behave differently compared to
start it from the commandline directly using pg_ctl?

Cheers
Thomas