Обсуждение: A quick question on CONTRIB package

A quick question on CONTRIB package

От
"Ramakrishna Reddy"
Дата:
Hi,

I need to connect to remote databases using Dblink. Our existing version is 7.2.1 on Windows and please point me the
locationof this package where I can download from and the installation procedure.

Thanks,
RamaKrishna.

Re: A quick question on CONTRIB package

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 06:47, Ramakrishna Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to connect to remote databases using Dblink. Our existing version is 7.2.1 on Windows and please point me the
locationof this package where I can download from and the installation procedure.

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY consider upgrading to at least version
8.0.8, if not 8.1.4.

7.2 is, in general not supported.  The windows port, in particular, has
no support whatsoever.  It has known data eating bugs and the dreaded
transaction wraparound bug in particular.

Also, by updating to 8.0.8 or 8.1.4 you should get the dblink package as
a matter of course, I believe.  A windows user would have to confirm
that for me though.  But seriously, if you value your data, updated from
7.2.1 as soon as humanly possible

Re: A quick question on CONTRIB package

От
"Ramakrishna Reddy"
Дата:
Hi,

Thanks for your vauable suggestions.

We have very huge databases in many installations and infact have plans for upgrading to latest releases. But as we are
notvery sure about the stability of post 7.2.1 versions, refrained from doing that. Could you please suggest me which
versionis the best in terms of stability, performance and minimal bugs. We want to upgrade this on both our Windows as
wellas Linux environments.

Thanks again,
RamaKrishna.

________________________________

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 06:47, Ramakrishna Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to connect to remote databases using Dblink. Our existing version is 7.2.1 on Windows and please point me the
locationof this package where I can download from and the installation procedure.

You should REALLY REALLY REALLY consider upgrading to at least version
8.0.8, if not 8.1.4.

7.2 is, in general not supported.  The windows port, in particular, has
no support whatsoever.  It has known data eating bugs and the dreaded
transaction wraparound bug in particular.

Also, by updating to 8.0.8 or 8.1.4 you should get the dblink package as
a matter of course, I believe.  A windows user would have to confirm
that for me though.  But seriously, if you value your data, updated from
7.2.1 as soon as humanly possible

Re: A quick question on CONTRIB package

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 12:57, Ramakrishna Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your vauable suggestions.
>
> We have very huge databases in many installations and infact have plans for upgrading to latest releases. But as we
arenot very sure about the stability of post 7.2.1 versions, refrained from doing that. Could you please suggest me
whichversion is the best in terms of stability, performance and minimal bugs. We want to upgrade this on both our
Windowsas well as Linux environments.

Both 8.0.8 and 8.1.4 are light years ahead of 7.2.1 in terms of both
stability and performance.

Both 8.0.8 and 8.1.4 are quite stable.  My recommendation would be for
an upgrade would be to go to 8.1.4 on Linux.

You might need to use iconv (a linux tool) to fix any encoding issues
that have snuck into your data while using 7.2.1

Re: A quick question on CONTRIB package

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
ramakrishna.reddy@indussoft.com ("Ramakrishna Reddy") writes:
> Thanks for your vauable suggestions.
>
> We have very huge databases in many installations and infact have
> plans for upgrading to latest releases. But as we are not very sure
> about the stability of post 7.2.1 versions, refrained from doing
> that. Could you please suggest me which version is the best in terms
> of stability, performance and minimal bugs. We want to upgrade this
> on both our Windows as well as Linux environments.

Well, there are only three versions worth considering:

1.  7.4.13; 7.4 is still being supported, somewhat.  It's now an old
    version, where numerous improvements and some fixes have been
    applied to later versions that will never be applied to it.

    As compared to 8.0 and 8.1 releases, there are quite a lot of
    things *missing* in 7.4 that help the subsequent major versions to
    provide both better performance and more predictable/stable
    performance.

    I would *NOT* recommend that you jump to 7.4; that would merely
    bring you to having a 2-and-a-half year-old version, lacking the
    benefits of 8.0 and 8.1.

2.  8.0.8.  This is also being supported.  It is an old version, as
    8.1 was released about six months ago.  Again, fixes and
    *numerous* improvements have been applied to 8.1 that will never
    be applied to the 8.0 series.

3.  8.1.4.  This is the latest release of the latest major version.

    As "latest major version," it can be expected to have better
    performance than any earlier major version.

    There haven't been many reports of bugs that were introduced newly
    to this major version, so this version seems reasonably stable
    overally.

    As the latest release of that major version, it can be expected to
    be more stable than any previous release of 8.1.  Certainly it may
    be expected to have the fewest bugs of any 8.1.x release.

It all seems to point to 8.1.4 being the best candidate.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
"Lisp is an eternal thought in the mind of God."

Re: A quick question on CONTRIB package

Дата:
Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
> ramakrishna.reddy@indussoft.com ("Ramakrishna Reddy") writes:
>> We have very huge databases in many installations and infact have
>> plans for upgrading to latest releases. But as we are not very sure
>> about the stability of post 7.2.1 versions, refrained from doing
>> that. Could you please suggest me which version is the best in terms
>> of stability, performance and minimal bugs. We want to upgrade this
>> on both our Windows as well as Linux environments.

> Well, there are only three versions worth considering:
> It all seems to point to 8.1.4 being the best candidate.

I'm having a hard time not rolling on the floor laughing at this
discussion.  If 7.2.1 is your standard of comparison, any of the later
branches are super stable ...

A more serious point is that 7.2.x to 8.x is a big jump in terms of
behavior; there were a lot of not-so-compatible changes in between.
Porting their application code first to 7.4 and then to 8.1 might be a
good plan in terms of not dealing with too many things at once.
I don't suggest moving their production databases twice, just divvying
up the work of testing and updating their applications.

            regards, tom lane