Re: A quick question on CONTRIB package

От Chris Browne
Тема Re: A quick question on CONTRIB package
Дата
Список pgsql-general
ramakrishna.reddy@indussoft.com ("Ramakrishna Reddy") writes:
> Thanks for your vauable suggestions.
>
> We have very huge databases in many installations and infact have
> plans for upgrading to latest releases. But as we are not very sure
> about the stability of post 7.2.1 versions, refrained from doing
> that. Could you please suggest me which version is the best in terms
> of stability, performance and minimal bugs. We want to upgrade this
> on both our Windows as well as Linux environments.

Well, there are only three versions worth considering:

1.  7.4.13; 7.4 is still being supported, somewhat.  It's now an old
    version, where numerous improvements and some fixes have been
    applied to later versions that will never be applied to it.

    As compared to 8.0 and 8.1 releases, there are quite a lot of
    things *missing* in 7.4 that help the subsequent major versions to
    provide both better performance and more predictable/stable
    performance.

    I would *NOT* recommend that you jump to 7.4; that would merely
    bring you to having a 2-and-a-half year-old version, lacking the
    benefits of 8.0 and 8.1.

2.  8.0.8.  This is also being supported.  It is an old version, as
    8.1 was released about six months ago.  Again, fixes and
    *numerous* improvements have been applied to 8.1 that will never
    be applied to the 8.0 series.

3.  8.1.4.  This is the latest release of the latest major version.

    As "latest major version," it can be expected to have better
    performance than any earlier major version.

    There haven't been many reports of bugs that were introduced newly
    to this major version, so this version seems reasonably stable
    overally.

    As the latest release of that major version, it can be expected to
    be more stable than any previous release of 8.1.  Certainly it may
    be expected to have the fewest bugs of any 8.1.x release.

It all seems to point to 8.1.4 being the best candidate.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
"Lisp is an eternal thought in the mind of God."