Обсуждение: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

autovacuum "connections" are hidden

От
Casey Duncan
Дата:
Trying to drop a database, this morning I ran into the not so unusual
error:

dropdb: database removal failed: ERROR:  database "test_seg1" is
being accessed by other users

however, when I did "select * from pg_stat_activity" on the pg
server, it showed no connection to that db. Then I looked at the
processes:

tmp0% ps ax | grep test_seg1
10317 ?        D      0:36 postgres: autovacuum process   test_seg1

I imagine this doesn't show up because there is no connection, per
se, the autovacuum process is a bon-a-fide backend process in its own
right. It's just a bit confusing in this circumstance.

I guess this is more of a heads up than a question.

Another circumstance where this has bitten me is in doing a slony
SUBSCRIBE_SET. At least in 1.1.5 the autovac daemon can deadlock with
slony and cause the subscriber operation to fail. When this happened
to me it was somewhat baffling at first because I had altered
pg_hba.conf to forbid all non-superuser connections and there were no
other connections visible at the time (in pg_stat_activity). Turning
off autovacuum during the subscribe fixed this, but not without a
little head-scratching (and maybe some luck).

No way comes to my mind to improve the visiblity of autovac
"connections" but I thought I would throw this out here in case
anyone had any thoughts on the matter.

-Casey

Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

Дата:
Casey Duncan <casey@pandora.com> writes:
> however, when I did "select * from pg_stat_activity" on the pg
> server, it showed no connection to that db. Then I looked at the
> processes:
> tmp0% ps ax | grep test_seg1
> 10317 ?        D      0:36 postgres: autovacuum process   test_seg1

Hmm, autovacuum won't show up in pg_stat_activity because it never calls
pgstat_report_activity().  Seems like maybe it should, though.

            regards, tom lane

Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

От
Casey Duncan
Дата:
On May 17, 2006, at 12:34 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Casey Duncan <casey@pandora.com> writes:
>> however, when I did "select * from pg_stat_activity" on the pg
>> server, it showed no connection to that db. Then I looked at the
>> processes:
>> tmp0% ps ax | grep test_seg1
>> 10317 ?        D      0:36 postgres: autovacuum process   test_seg1
>
> Hmm, autovacuum won't show up in pg_stat_activity because it never
> calls
> pgstat_report_activity().  Seems like maybe it should, though.

Is this worth filing a bug about for posterity?

Tom Lane wrote:
> Casey Duncan <casey@pandora.com> writes:
> > however, when I did "select * from pg_stat_activity" on the pg
> > server, it showed no connection to that db. Then I looked at the
> > processes:
> > tmp0% ps ax | grep test_seg1
> > 10317 ?        D      0:36 postgres: autovacuum process   test_seg1
>
> Hmm, autovacuum won't show up in pg_stat_activity because it never calls
> pgstat_report_activity().  Seems like maybe it should, though.

If we do that, would it help people who are trying to determine if
pg_autovacuum is running?  Would the connection still appear while
pg_autovacuum is sleeping?

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

От
"Larry Rosenman"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Casey Duncan <casey@pandora.com> writes:
>>> however, when I did "select * from pg_stat_activity" on the pg
>>> server, it showed no connection to that db. Then I looked at the
>>> processes: tmp0% ps ax | grep test_seg1
>>> 10317 ?        D      0:36 postgres: autovacuum process   test_seg1
>>
>> Hmm, autovacuum won't show up in pg_stat_activity because it never
>> calls pgstat_report_activity().  Seems like maybe it should, though.
>
> If we do that, would it help people who are trying to determine if
> pg_autovacuum is running?  Would the connection still appear while
> pg_autovacuum is sleeping?

I believe while autovacuum is sleeping, the process is gone.

I.e. it gets spawned anew for each pass looking for work.

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer

PERVASIVE SOFTWARE. INC.
12365B RIATA TRACE PKWY
3015
AUSTIN TX  78727-6531

Tel: 512.231.6173
Fax: 512.231.6597
Email: Larry.Rosenman@pervasive.com
Web: www.pervasive.com

Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Larry Rosenman wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >>
> >> Hmm, autovacuum won't show up in pg_stat_activity because it never
> >> calls pgstat_report_activity().  Seems like maybe it should, though.

Yep.  I'll fix it.  Should I backpatch to 8.1?

> > If we do that, would it help people who are trying to determine if
> > pg_autovacuum is running?  Would the connection still appear while
> > pg_autovacuum is sleeping?
>
> I believe while autovacuum is sleeping, the process is gone.

Yes, which means that really autovacuum does not sleep (it just exits
when it's done).  Postmaster is the one who sleeps between autovac
iterations.

Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yep.  I'll fix it.  Should I backpatch to 8.1?
>
> > > If we do that, would it help people who are trying to determine if
> > > pg_autovacuum is running?  Would the connection still appear while
> > > pg_autovacuum is sleeping?
> >
> > I believe while autovacuum is sleeping, the process is gone.
>
> Yes, which means that really autovacuum does not sleep (it just exits
> when it's done).  Postmaster is the one who sleeps between autovac
> iterations.

Good, anyway, it would allow people to see _when_ autovacuum is
processing things.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us

Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Hmm, autovacuum won't show up in pg_stat_activity because it never
>>> calls pgstat_report_activity().  Seems like maybe it should, though.

> Yep.  I'll fix it.  Should I backpatch to 8.1?

Yeah, probably, because this is really a regression from 8.0: the old
contrib autovacuum's activities would show in pg_stat_activity, since
it was just issuing the VACUUM/ANALYZE commands normally.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

> > Yep.  I'll fix it.  Should I backpatch to 8.1?
>
> Yeah, probably, because this is really a regression from 8.0: the old
> contrib autovacuum's activities would show in pg_stat_activity, since
> it was just issuing the VACUUM/ANALYZE commands normally.

Hmm.  I had assumed this would be a quickie, but it turned out not to be
the case.  The problem is that while we can make autovac report quite
easily, other backends will ignore the backend entry because it hasn't
set a database ID.  (In pg_stat_get_backend_dbid, entries with NULL dbid
return NULL, so the pg_stat_activity view doesn't show them because it
uses a inner join.  Also, pgstat_report_autovac sets the database entry,
but it doesn't do anything about the backend entry.)

The problem is that pgstat_bestart (called in InitPostgres, which
autovac calls) deliberately ignores autovacuum, due to not having a
client address.  We could create a fake client address (which doesn't
seem easy to do), or we could change pg_stat_activity to use an OUTER
JOIN.  Not sure what other options are there.

Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

Дата:
> The problem is that pgstat_bestart (called in InitPostgres, which
> autovac calls) deliberately ignores autovacuum, due to not having a
> client address.  We could create a fake client address (which doesn't
> seem easy to do), or we could change pg_stat_activity to use an OUTER
> JOIN.  Not sure what other options are there.

Seems like the client address should read as NULL.  Not sure if that's
hard or not.  Changing the view definition is no fun (at least for an
8.1 back-patch) because it'd require initdb.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > The problem is that pgstat_bestart (called in InitPostgres, which
> > autovac calls) deliberately ignores autovacuum, due to not having a
> > client address.  We could create a fake client address (which doesn't
> > seem easy to do), or we could change pg_stat_activity to use an OUTER
> > JOIN.  Not sure what other options are there.
>
> Seems like the client address should read as NULL.  Not sure if that's
> hard or not.  Changing the view definition is no fun (at least for an
> 8.1 back-patch) because it'd require initdb.

This seems to work for me.  I'd appreciate input, as I'm not sure how
would other archs (or even my own) cope with the zeroed client address
trick (note the memcmp ...)

This is the 8.1 version of the patch; I haven't looked at HEAD yet, but
I think it's slightly different.

(The actual activity reported is a bit bogus ... I'd appreciate
suggestions for better wording.  Do I waste cycles in obtaining the
relname?  My answer is yes.  What if there are multiple rels (a case
currently not exercised)?.  Should it explicitly say that it's
autovacuum?  My answer is no.)

Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

Дата:
> This seems to work for me.  I'd appreciate input, as I'm not sure how
> would other archs (or even my own) cope with the zeroed client address
> trick (note the memcmp ...)

AFAICS that should work; I can't imagine all-zeroes being a valid client
address.  I'd suggest commenting it as "process has no client" rather
than "don't know".

> (The actual activity reported is a bit bogus ... I'd appreciate
> suggestions for better wording.  Do I waste cycles in obtaining the
> relname?  My answer is yes.  What if there are multiple rels (a case
> currently not exercised)?.  Should it explicitly say that it's
> autovacuum?  My answer is no.)

What I was expecting was to see one of

    VACUUM
    ANALYZE
    VACUUM ANALYZE
    VACUUM foo
    ANALYZE foo
    VACUUM ANALYZE foo

ie exactly the command being executed if you were to type the manual
equivalent.

Since the multiple-rels case isn't used, there seems no need to debate
how it ought to report...

BTW, patches are probably off-topic for pgsql-general.

            regards, tom lane

Re: autovacuum "connections" are hidden

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
Moving to -hackers

Does this still obey stats_command_string? I think it'd be very handy to
either have autovac always report what it's doing (ignoring
stats_command_string), or to provide it with it's own option for it. I
doubt this should pose a performance issue, since unless you have a
whole lot of small tables autovac shouldn't be issuing commands very
frequently.