Обсуждение: full text indexing

full text indexing

От
"chris smith"
Дата:
Hi all,

Just wondering which full text module is better & what the differences
are between tsearch and fti ?

The table in question has roughly 80,000 rows.

Thanks!
--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: full text indexing

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
chris smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering which full text module is better & what the differences
> are between tsearch and fti ?
>
> The table in question has roughly 80,000 rows.

I've been very happy with tsearch2. Note that if you're running an old
version of PostgreSQL (7.4?) there are some manual steps you'll need to
take to dump + restore.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: full text indexing

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, chris smith wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering which full text module is better & what the differences
> are between tsearch and fti ?

if you need online indexing and linguistic support (dictionaries, stop
words, ranking) tsearch2 is fine. If your data are static and you need
only strict search, fti could works for you.
We hope to develop inverted index support for tsearch2 this year, though.

> The table in question has roughly 80,000 rows.

how many unique words and how long are documents ?

> Thanks!
> --
> Postgresql & php tutorials
> http://www.designmagick.com/

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: full text indexing

От
"Ian Harding"
Дата:
On 3/15/06, chris smith <dmagick@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just wondering which full text module is better & what the differences
> are between tsearch and fti ?

Having only used tsearch/tsearch2 all I can say that it works as
advertised and I am extremely happy with it.

- Ian

Re: full text indexing

От
Chris
Дата:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, chris smith wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just wondering which full text module is better & what the differences
>> are between tsearch and fti ?
>
> if you need online indexing and linguistic support (dictionaries, stop
> words, ranking) tsearch2 is fine. If your data are static and you need
> only strict search, fti could works for you.
> We hope to develop inverted index support for tsearch2 this year, though.
>

>> The table in question has roughly 80,000 rows.
>

> how many unique words and how long are documents ?

I think I'll stick to tsearch, it seems to work pretty well.

I created the words list from one table (2 columns) for fti. 2.6G file
and almost 200 million records, and took up almost 8.5G of space in the
database.

I was going to see if I could do a speed comparison between the two but
ran out of space before I could create the indexes on this table.

Hmm. Might try it on a different table and see what happens, I'm
interested to see the differences (if any) between the results :)

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

Re: full text indexing

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Chris,

try REL8_1_STABLE branch, because you save a lot of time of indexing

Oleg