Обсуждение: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

От
"Ed L."
Дата:
Can someone help find (or create) a client/server compatibility
matrix that shows which client versions are compatible with
which server versions?  For example,

server:  7.1.2  7.2.1  7.2.2  7.2.3 ...

client
======
7.1.2     Yes    No      No    No   ...
7.2.1     No
7.2.2     No
7.2.3     No
7.3       ...
7.3.1

I'd be happy to contribute it to the docs.

Ed

Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
What do you mean by "client version"? If you're talking about libpq,
then any version can talk to any version of the DB (AFAIK). It's all
compatable.

pg_dump should be able to dump any older version. It's a bug otherwise.

If you're talking about psql, well, within major versions for full
compatability. I've used quite a bit across versions and other than
certain \-commands not working fully, they all work.

What exactly are you looking for?

Hope this helps,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 03:17:46PM -0600, Ed L. wrote:

> Can someone help find (or create) a client/server compatibility
> matrix that shows which client versions are compatible with
> which server versions?  For example,
>
> server:  7.1.2  7.2.1  7.2.2  7.2.3 ...
>
> client
> ======
> 7.1.2     Yes    No      No    No   ...
> 7.2.1     No
> 7.2.2     No
> 7.2.3     No
> 7.3       ...
> 7.3.1
>
> I'd be happy to contribute it to the docs.
>
> Ed

>        match

Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 16:17, Ed L. wrote:
> Can someone help find (or create) a client/server compatibility
> matrix that shows which client versions are compatible with
> which server versions?  For example,
>
> server:  7.1.2  7.2.1  7.2.2  7.2.3 ...
>
> client
> ======
> 7.1.2     Yes    No      No    No   ...
> 7.2.1     No
> 7.2.2     No
> 7.2.3     No
> 7.3       ...
> 7.3.1
>
> I'd be happy to contribute it to the docs.

In version 7.3, the support for the pgsql V 6.2 FE/BE protocol was
removed.  So, what you might want to do is look for which versions of
the FE/BE protocol have been added over time.  Basically, the server
will fall back to whatever version it has to in order to communicate,
and after V 7.3, the oldest clients, the ones written with the release
of 6.2 would now fail.  So, the chart, for versions 6.3 and up would be
kind boring on a Yes No basis.

So, I'd toss in the FE/BE versions.

I don't have that real handy, but Tom or Bruce probably know (mostly)
all that off the top of their heads.

Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 16:56, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> What do you mean by "client version"? If you're talking about libpq,
> then any version can talk to any version of the DB (AFAIK). It's all
> compatable.
>
> pg_dump should be able to dump any older version. It's a bug otherwise.

But FYI that backwards compatibility was introduced around 7.3 or 7.4
version.  Before that you'd have issues.  I know from experience that V
7.2 pg_dump / pg_dumpall had issues with 7.0 and / or 7.1 or something
like that.  Not sure the exact versions.

Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 16:56, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> pg_dump should be able to dump any older version. It's a bug otherwise.

> But FYI that backwards compatibility was introduced around 7.3 or 7.4
> version.  Before that you'd have issues.  I know from experience that V
> 7.2 pg_dump / pg_dumpall had issues with 7.0 and / or 7.1 or something
> like that.  Not sure the exact versions.

pg_dump believes it can dump from any server back to 7.0; if it can't,
that's a bug, and details would be appreciated.

Note however that the *output* of pg_dump is not guaranteed to load into
a server older than the pg_dump's own version.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 22:02, Tom Lane wrote:
> Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 16:56, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> >> pg_dump should be able to dump any older version. It's a bug otherwise.
>
> > But FYI that backwards compatibility was introduced around 7.3 or 7.4
> > version.  Before that you'd have issues.  I know from experience that V
> > 7.2 pg_dump / pg_dumpall had issues with 7.0 and / or 7.1 or something
> > like that.  Not sure the exact versions.
>
> pg_dump believes it can dump from any server back to 7.0; if it can't,
> that's a bug, and details would be appreciated.
>
> Note however that the *output* of pg_dump is not guaranteed to load into
> a server older than the pg_dump's own version.

I thought the backwards dumping compatibility thing was fairly new (i.e.
it showed up around 7.3 or 7.4) and before that, if you used, say
pg_dump from 7.1 to try and dump from 6.5 you'd get errors.

Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 22:02, Tom Lane wrote:
>> pg_dump believes it can dump from any server back to 7.0; if it can't,
>> that's a bug, and details would be appreciated.

> I thought the backwards dumping compatibility thing was fairly new (i.e.
> it showed up around 7.3 or 7.4) and before that, if you used, say
> pg_dump from 7.1 to try and dump from 6.5 you'd get errors.

That was true back in the 6.x days, but starting in 7.1 we had code in
pg_dump to work with a 7.0 server, and we've kept up that policy.

Perhaps you are thinking of pg_dumpall specifically?  That was a shell
script until 7.3, and before it was converted to C I don't think it had
much of any cross-version adaptability.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql client/server compatibility matrix?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 09:26, Tom Lane wrote:
> Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 22:02, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> pg_dump believes it can dump from any server back to 7.0; if it can't,
> >> that's a bug, and details would be appreciated.
>
> > I thought the backwards dumping compatibility thing was fairly new (i.e.
> > it showed up around 7.3 or 7.4) and before that, if you used, say
> > pg_dump from 7.1 to try and dump from 6.5 you'd get errors.
>
> That was true back in the 6.x days, but starting in 7.1 we had code in
> pg_dump to work with a 7.0 server, and we've kept up that policy.
>
> Perhaps you are thinking of pg_dumpall specifically?  That was a shell
> script until 7.3, and before it was converted to C I don't think it had
> much of any cross-version adaptability.

Ding!  That was it.  I knew something had bitten me back in the day, but
honestly, 7.2 is a fast fading memory.