Обсуждение: Visual Studio 2005 .Net -> Npgsql -> Postgresql

Visual Studio 2005 .Net -> Npgsql -> Postgresql

От
"Philippe Lang"
Дата:
Hi,

I'v been playing with Visual Studio 2005 beta 2 recently. I'm evaluating
it as a RAD tool for developing GUI front-ends to Postgresql.

RAD means for me something similar to Delphi: you configure a database
connexion, drop a few objects on a form, controls, you bind the controls
to the datasource, and finished. No glue code or whatever.

In Visual Studio 2005, that's something I could achieve with a Microsoft
database - Access or SQL Server -. When you select one of these
databases, code is being generated, that works, really, no problem.

Although Npgsql seems to be a very nice library to access Postgresql, I
was not able to do that. Adding a database to the project is fine for MS
Access / SQL Server / Oracle databases, but I'm still searching how to
do it for Postgresql.

So my question is: is it reasonable to expect as much integration of
Postgresql in Visual Studio than with the other databases? Does anyone
work under Visual Studio as easily with Postgresql than with MS Access /
SQL Server?

-----------
Philippe

Re: Visual Studio 2005 .Net -> Npgsql -> Postgresql

От
Douglas McNaught
Дата:
"Philippe Lang" <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> writes:

> Although Npgsql seems to be a very nice library to access Postgresql, I
> was not able to do that. Adding a database to the project is fine for MS
> Access / SQL Server / Oracle databases, but I'm still searching how to
> do it for Postgresql.
>
> So my question is: is it reasonable to expect as much integration of
> Postgresql in Visual Studio than with the other databases? Does anyone
> work under Visual Studio as easily with Postgresql than with MS Access /
> SQL Server?

While knowing very little about Microsoft technologies, I would say
that what you are looking for is a function of the quality of the
database driver.  So talk to the Npgsql folks about your specific
problems rather than posting to -general.

-Doug

Re: Visual Studio 2005 .Net -> Npgsql -> Postgresql

От
Listas Evandro (Não use este endereço para mensagens pessoais)
Дата:
Try using with ODBC works great for VS2005

On 5/27/05, Philippe Lang <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'v been playing with Visual Studio 2005 beta 2 recently. I'm evaluating
> it as a RAD tool for developing GUI front-ends to Postgresql.
>
> RAD means for me something similar to Delphi: you configure a database
> connexion, drop a few objects on a form, controls, you bind the controls
> to the datasource, and finished. No glue code or whatever.
>
> In Visual Studio 2005, that's something I could achieve with a Microsoft
> database - Access or SQL Server -. When you select one of these
> databases, code is being generated, that works, really, no problem.
>
> Although Npgsql seems to be a very nice library to access Postgresql, I
> was not able to do that. Adding a database to the project is fine for MS
> Access / SQL Server / Oracle databases, but I'm still searching how to
> do it for Postgresql.
>
> So my question is: is it reasonable to expect as much integration of
> Postgresql in Visual Studio than with the other databases? Does anyone
> work under Visual Studio as easily with Postgresql than with MS Access /
> SQL Server?

Re: Visual Studio 2005 .Net -> Npgsql -> Postgresql

От
Shelby Cain

--- Philippe Lang <philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch> wrote:

> So my question is: is it reasonable to expect as much integration of
> Postgresql in Visual Studio than with the other databases? Does
> anyone
> work under Visual Studio as easily with Postgresql than with MS
> Access /
> SQL Server?

Open the controls toolbox in VS.Net.  Select the "General" category and
right-click anywhere on the pane.  Select Add/Remove items and navigate
to the Npgsql.dll located in your Postgresql install directory.  You'll
now have the Connection/Command/etc controls that you can place on
forms.

As an aside, I'd highly recommend learning how ADO.Net works at the
fundamental level so that you can (if necessary) code these things
manually instead of having to rely on the forms designer provided by
VS.Net.

Regards,

Shelby Cain

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Visual Studio 2005 .Net -> Npgsql -> Postgresql

От
Brar Piening
See:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/npgsql-general/2005-May/001374.html