Обсуждение: /usr/sbin/useradd is needed by postgresql-server-8.0.1-PGDG

/usr/sbin/useradd is needed by postgresql-server-8.0.1-PGDG

От
"Rey Arqueza"
after running:  rpm -i ./postgresql-server-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm, I get the
following error:

error: Failed dependencies:
/usr/sbin/useradd is needed by postgresql-server-8.0.1-PGDG

I would guess that /usr/sbin needs to be in my path? if I guessed correctly,
how do I do that?  If this is not the case, then what could possibly cause
this error message?

-Rey

Re: /usr/sbin/useradd is needed by postgresql-server-8.0.1-PGDG

От
Daniel Martini
> after running:  rpm -i ./postgresql-server-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm, I get the
> following error:
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
> /usr/sbin/useradd is needed by postgresql-server-8.0.1-PGDG
>
> I would guess that /usr/sbin needs to be in my path? if I guessed correctly,
> how do I do that?

If you're using a Bourne shell/Korn shell derivative (bash, ksh...):
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin

If you're using a C-Shell derivative (csh, tcsh...):
setenv PATH $PATH':/usr/sbin'

> If this is not the case, then what could possibly cause
> this error message?

Does /usr/sbin/useradd exist? If not, you could be missing the rpm which
contains it.

Regards,
Daniel

Re: /usr/sbin/useradd is needed by postgresql-server-8.0.1-PGDG

От
"Rey Arqueza"
Дата:
I have added  /usr/sbin to my path (bash) and /usr/sbin/useradd does exist
(and the command works when I type the command from any directory).

However I still get the same error when running rpm -i ..etc.

I don't remember having issues like this with the PostgreSQL 7.x rpm's..
Maybe because I used the PostgreSQL rpms that were built into the distro I
used instead of latest bleeding edge releases of PostgreSQL.

Anyway, here is what I did in the following order
1. rpm -i postgresql-libs-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm
2. rpm -i postgresql-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.RPM
3. rpm -i postgresql-server-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm

Just curious why there isn't a single install rpm that does all of the above
(libs, client, server) ?

> > after running:  rpm -i ./postgresql-server-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm, I get
the
> > following error:
> >
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> > /usr/sbin/useradd is needed by postgresql-server-8.0.1-PGDG
> >
> > I would guess that /usr/sbin needs to be in my path? if I guessed
correctly,
> > how do I do that?
>
> If you're using a Bourne shell/Korn shell derivative (bash, ksh...):
> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
>
> If you're using a C-Shell derivative (csh, tcsh...):
> setenv PATH $PATH':/usr/sbin'
>
> > If this is not the case, then what could possibly cause
> > this error message?
>
> Does /usr/sbin/useradd exist? If not, you could be missing the rpm which
> contains it.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

Re: /usr/sbin/useradd is needed by postgresql-server-8.0.1-PGDG

От
"Rey Arqueza"
Дата:
Ok.. thanks.

...seconds later...

It worked!  hmm.. strange...  why is that?  is this a bug for the rpm
installer?  If so, here's my distro:

Fedora Core 2

maybe the rpm has issues with this distro?

> maybe you try a --nodeps parameter to your rpm call. If the useradd
command is
> around and in your path the remainder of the installation should succeed.
>

> On Monday 14 February 2005 11:21 pm, Rey Arqueza wrote:
> > I have added  /usr/sbin to my path (bash) and /usr/sbin/useradd does
exist
> > (and the command works when I type the command from any directory).
> >
> > However I still get the same error when running rpm -i ..etc.
> >
> > I don't remember having issues like this with the PostgreSQL 7.x rpm's..
> > Maybe because I used the PostgreSQL rpms that were built into the distro
> > used instead of latest bleeding edge releases of PostgreSQL.
> >
> > Anyway, here is what I did in the following order
> > 1. rpm -i postgresql-libs-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm
> > 2. rpm -i postgresql-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.RPM
> > 3. rpm -i postgresql-server-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm
> >
> > Just curious why there isn't a single install rpm that does all of the
> > above (libs, client, server) ?

Geoffrey
Дата:
Rey Arqueza wrote:
> I have added  /usr/sbin to my path (bash) and /usr/sbin/useradd does exist
> (and the command works when I type the command from any directory).
>
> However I still get the same error when running rpm -i ..etc.

Silly question, but does /usr/sbin/useradd exist?  Was it installed by
an rpm?  (If not, then it's not likely in the rpm database)  The
original error appears to be an issue with rpm not seeing references to
it in the rpm database, and not a path issue.  If it couldn't find it,
I'd expect something like:

command not found

Note the message states that it fails a dependency, hence the reason I
suspect that it's an rpm issue and not a path issue.

First make sure it does in fact exist, then:

'rpm -qf /usr/sbin/useradd' should tell you which rpm it came with.  If
this does not return anything, then it is not in the rpm database and
was not installed via rpm (as far as rpm database is concerned).

If you believe it was installed via rpm, try rebuilding your rpm
database? (rpm --rebuilddb)

> I don't remember having issues like this with the PostgreSQL 7.x rpm's..
> Maybe because I used the PostgreSQL rpms that were built into the distro I
> used instead of latest bleeding edge releases of PostgreSQL.
>
> Anyway, here is what I did in the following order
> 1. rpm -i postgresql-libs-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm
> 2. rpm -i postgresql-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.RPM
> 3. rpm -i postgresql-server-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm

Try:

rpm -i postgresql-libs-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm \
    postgresql-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.RPM \
    postgresql-server-8.0.1-1PGDG.i686.rpm

Not that I expect that to resolve the issue, but grasping at some straws
here.

--
Until later, Geoffrey