Обсуждение: Hoow do you drop a column in a table

Hoow do you drop a column in a table

От
Art Fore
Дата:
Using phppgadmin, I tried tropping a column in a table. I comes back to
try DROP .. CASCADE. Went into psql and typed the following,

ALTER TABLE "MPC" DROP COLUMNG  do_not_use CASCADE

It appeared to work but did not drop the column. What is the dprocedure
for dropping a column? an anyone point me to a document that tells
EXACTLY how to do this? Also, how do you find out the dependencies it
says it has? I know of none.

Art

Re: Hoow do you drop a column in a table

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
Hi Art,

On Feb 8, 2005, at 7:37 PM, Art Fore wrote:

> ALTER TABLE "MPC" DROP COLUMNG  do_not_use CASCADE
>
> It appeared to work but did not drop the column. What is the
> dprocedure for dropping a column? an anyone point me to a document
> that tells EXACTLY how to do this? Also, how do you find out the
> dependencies it says it has? I know of none.

Here is the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-altertable.html

If it still does not work, try again in psql and then paste the output
in your email so we can better understand the problem.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Hoow do you drop a column in a table

От
Robby Russell
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 16:37 -0800, Art Fore wrote:
> Using phppgadmin, I tried tropping a column in a table. I comes back to
> try DROP .. CASCADE. Went into psql and typed the following,
>
> ALTER TABLE "MPC" DROP COLUMNG  do_not_use CASCADE
>
> It appeared to work but did not drop the column. What is the dprocedure
> for dropping a column? an anyone point me to a document that tells
> EXACTLY how to do this? Also, how do you find out the dependencies it
> says it has? I know of none.
>
> Art

ALTER TABLE foo DROP COLUMN name CASCADE;

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
* --- Now hosting Ruby on Rails Apps ---

Re: Hoow do you drop a column in a table

От
Art Fore
Дата:
Thanks for the answers. I recreated the views. Did not realize when you
renamed a column, it also changed the views.

Art