Обсуждение: psql error - "unrecognizable command" V8.0.0 beta

psql error - "unrecognizable command" V8.0.0 beta

От
"Anony Mous"
Дата:
Hi,

I've run into a problem.  I've had postgres V8 beta on my WinXP Pro machine
for some time now, and it's been running great.  Now, for some reason, I
cannot issue any queries to the database via psql.  See snippit below...

------------
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta1\bin>createdb -U postgres test
CREATE DATABASE

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0-beta1\bin>psql -d test -U postgres
Welcome to psql 8.0.0beta1, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

Warning: Console codepage (850) differs from windows codepage (1252)
         8-bit characters will not work correctly. See PostgreSQL
         documentation "Installation on Windows" for details.

test=# select now();
'more' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
test=#
-------------

The message regarding the 'more' command is the same no matter what query is
issued.  I also get it anytime I try to restore a database from a dump
(wherever a setval command is issued).

I've tried reinstalling the db to no avail.  This problem does not repeat
itself on other machines!  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Peter

Re: psql error - "unrecognizable command" V8.0.0 beta

Дата:
"Anony Mous" <A.Mous@shaw.ca> writes:
> test=# select now();
> 'more' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

Looks to me like psql is trying to use "more" to paginate the query
output, and it ain't there.  "more" is the default on Unix but I dunno
what we should use on Windows.  Anyway, see the psql man page and read
about the "pager" variable to change this.

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql error - "unrecognizable command" V8.0.0 beta

От
Klint Gore
Дата:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:52:17 -0600, "Anony Mous" <A.Mous@shaw.ca> wrote:
> I've tried reinstalling the db to no avail.  This problem does not repeat
> itself on other machines!  Does anyone have any ideas?

does more.com exist in a directory on the path (usually
%systemroot%\system32)?

klint.

+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
: Klint Gore                            : "Non rhyming    :
: EMail   : kg@kgb.une.edu.au           :  slang - the    :
: Snail   : A.B.R.I.                    :  possibilities  :
: Mail      University of New England   :  are useless"   :
:           Armidale NSW 2351 Australia :     L.J.J.      :
: Fax     : +61 2 6772 5376             :                 :

Re: psql error - "unrecognizable command" V8.0.0 beta

От
Peter Lang
Дата:
Well, as I mentioned, I cannot reproduce this problem on other PC's running
Win 2K or XP.  It must be a system path issue on my PC.  I can't test it
right now, but I'll try ensuring that the system knows where to find the
"more" executable and try it again.

Much thanks.