Обсуждение: Tool to ease development of plpgsql

Tool to ease development of plpgsql

What's the best way to ease development of plpgsql.

My largest issues with plpgsql pertain to the quoting of course.

Bill McMilleon

Re: Tool to ease development of plpgsql

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Friday 16 January 2004 22:52, bill.postgresql-users@mcmilleon.com wrote:
> What's the best way to ease development of plpgsql.
>
> My largest issues with plpgsql pertain to the quoting of course.

I personally use kate (on KDE) or vi, but any syntax-hightlighting editor can
help. I don't use anything fancy, just make sure the highlighting picks up
quoting / comments.
Edit the file with your function and use \i from psql to test it - that'll
give you line numbers for errors too.
ALWAYS make sure your variables/parameters have names that are different from
columns in queries.

Having done a _lot_ of plpgsql in the last few months, what irritates from my
end is:
1. Can't EXPLAIN inside a function
2. Error reporting not always useful
3. To work around the EXPLAIN problem I copy/paste SQL from my function, at
which time I have to unfix the quoting, then paste it back and refix the
quoting...

Anyway - there is the possiblilty that something a bit like shell/perl HERE
documents might exist in 7.5 which'll make the quoting problem go away.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Tool to ease development of plpgsql

От
"D. Dante Lorenso"
Дата:
Richard Huxton wrote:

>On Friday 16 January 2004 22:52, bill.postgresql-users@mcmilleon.com wrote:
>

>>What's the best way to ease development of plpgsql.
>>My largest issues with plpgsql pertain to the quoting of course.
>>

>3. To work around the EXPLAIN problem I copy/paste SQL from my function, at
>which time I have to unfix the quoting, then paste it back and refix the
>quoting...

<plug>

I use EMS PostgreSQL Manager to edit PL/PGSQL functions.  It automagically
escapes the quotes for you as you write functions, so you can just write:

    SELECT 'sometexthere'::text;

instead of having to do:

    SELECT ''sometexthere''::text;

It's a major time saver when developing.  You gotta pay money for PG
Manager,
but it's worth it and has Windows and Linux versions.

    http://www.ems-hitech.com/pgmanager/download.phtml

</plug>

Dante

Re: Tool to ease development of plpgsql

От
"Dean Arnold"
Дата:
Would a tool like www.presicient.com/teraforge be of value ?
I'm thinking of making a Pg port....if interested, please
let me know, and let me know what kind of features
you'd like to see...

--
Dean Arnold
Presicient Corp.

"Richard Huxton" <dev@archonet.com> wrote in message
> On Friday 16 January 2004 22:52, bill.postgresql-users@mcmilleon.com
wrote:
> > What's the best way to ease development of plpgsql.
> >
> > My largest issues with plpgsql pertain to the quoting of course.
>
> I personally use kate (on KDE) or vi, but any syntax-hightlighting editor
can
> help. I don't use anything fancy, just make sure the highlighting picks up
> quoting / comments.
> Edit the file with your function and use \i from psql to test it - that'll
> give you line numbers for errors too.
> ALWAYS make sure your variables/parameters have names that are different
from
> columns in queries.
>
> Having done a _lot_ of plpgsql in the last few months, what irritates from
my
> end is:
> 1. Can't EXPLAIN inside a function
> 2. Error reporting not always useful
> 3. To work around the EXPLAIN problem I copy/paste SQL from my function,
at
> which time I have to unfix the quoting, then paste it back and refix the
> quoting...
>
> Anyway - there is the possiblilty that something a bit like shell/perl
HERE
> documents might exist in 7.5 which'll make the quoting problem go away.
>
> --
>   Richard Huxton
>   Archonet Ltd

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Tool to ease development of plpgsql

От
Pavel Stehule
Дата:
Hello

    try: http://www.ems-hitech.com/pgmanager. It has plpgsql debugger.

Regards
Pavel Stehule

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 bill.postgresql-users@mcmilleon.com wrote:

> What's the best way to ease development of plpgsql.
>
> My largest issues with plpgsql pertain to the quoting of course.
>
> Bill McMilleon

Re: Tool to ease development of plpgsql

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Sunday 18 January 2004 16:02, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
> >On Friday 16 January 2004 22:52, bill.postgresql-users@mcmilleon.com wrote:
> >>What's the best way to ease development of plpgsql.
> >>My largest issues with plpgsql pertain to the quoting of course.
> >
> >3. To work around the EXPLAIN problem I copy/paste SQL from my function,
> > at which time I have to unfix the quoting, then paste it back and refix
> > the quoting...
>
> <plug>
>
> I use EMS PostgreSQL Manager to edit PL/PGSQL functions.  It automagically
> escapes the quotes for you as you write functions, so you can just write:
>
>     SELECT 'sometexthere'::text;
>
> instead of having to do:
>
>     SELECT ''sometexthere''::text;
>
> It's a major time saver when developing.  You gotta pay money for PG
> Manager,
> but it's worth it and has Windows and Linux versions.
>
>     http://www.ems-hitech.com/pgmanager/download.phtml
>
> </plug>

FWIW I believe both phpPgAdmin and PgAdmin do this.

Robert Treat

Re: Tool to ease development of plpgsql

От
Rich Hall
Дата:
PG Manager is a great tool. EMS is very responsive when it comes to bugs
or useability issues.

Rick

Pavel Stehule wrote:

>Hello
>
>    try: http://www.ems-hitech.com/pgmanager. It has plpgsql debugger.
>
>Regards
>Pavel Stehule
>
>On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 bill.postgresql-users@mcmilleon.com wrote:
>

>>What's the best way to ease development of plpgsql.
>>
>>My largest issues with plpgsql pertain to the quoting of course.
>>
>>Bill McMilleon

A Message from MicroPatent® LLC

MicroPatent now offers searchable .PDF patents!  Save time and improve your workflow efficiencies with these
convenient,easy-to-review documents.  For more information, go to
http://www.micropat.com/0/searchable_pdf/searchable_pdf.html.

Richard Hall
Database Programmer
MicroPatent LLC
250 Dodge Avenue
East Haven, CT  06512
T:  <Phone Number>, x 3321
F:  <Fax Number>
S:  <Toll Free Number>
rhall@micropat.com
www.micropat.com

MicroPatent is an Information Holdings Inc. company (NYSE: IHI).