Re: Tool to ease development of plpgsql

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: Tool to ease development of plpgsql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 16 January 2004 22:52, bill.postgresql-users@mcmilleon.com wrote:
> What's the best way to ease development of plpgsql.
>
> My largest issues with plpgsql pertain to the quoting of course.

I personally use kate (on KDE) or vi, but any syntax-hightlighting editor can
help. I don't use anything fancy, just make sure the highlighting picks up
quoting / comments.
Edit the file with your function and use \i from psql to test it - that'll
give you line numbers for errors too.
ALWAYS make sure your variables/parameters have names that are different from
columns in queries.

Having done a _lot_ of plpgsql in the last few months, what irritates from my
end is:
1. Can't EXPLAIN inside a function
2. Error reporting not always useful
3. To work around the EXPLAIN problem I copy/paste SQL from my function, at
which time I have to unfix the quoting, then paste it back and refix the
quoting...

Anyway - there is the possiblilty that something a bit like shell/perl HERE
documents might exist in 7.5 which'll make the quoting problem go away.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd