Обсуждение: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
After a relatively short period for beta5, where nothing major arose, we
have just packaged up our first Release Candidate for v7.4, with the hopes
of producing a full release over the next 7 to 14 days.

There is only one major change between Beta5 and RC1 that, so far, has
been reported back ... RC1 will no longer work with TCL8.0.x, due to a
change to pgtclCmds.c:

          Use Tcl ByteArray objects to avoid unwanted character set
          translation in libpgtcl's lo_read/lo_write commands.  Also, deal
          correctly with failure return from lo_read().  ljb and Tom Lane.

There are a few other changes that were made, affecting RI, Java and ECPG,
among others, with a full list of changes available at:

    ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/sources/v7.4/ChangeLog.BETA5.to.RC1

As we are in the home stretch of a full release, we encourage as many as
possible to test and report any bugs they can find, whether as part of the
build process, or running in "real life" scenarios.

If we've heard no reports back before midnight on Thursday, we are looking
at a full code freeze, with a Final Release to happen on the following
Monday.

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Network Administrator
Дата:
Quoting "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>:

> After a relatively short period for beta5, where nothing major arose, we
> have just packaged up our first Release Candidate for v7.4, with the hopes
> of producing a full release over the next 7 to 14 days.
>
> There is only one major change between Beta5 and RC1 that, so far, has
> been reported back ... RC1 will no longer work with TCL8.0.x, due to a
> change to pgtclCmds.c:
>
>           Use Tcl ByteArray objects to avoid unwanted character set
>           translation in libpgtcl's lo_read/lo_write commands.  Also, deal
>           correctly with failure return from lo_read().  ljb and Tom Lane.
>
> There are a few other changes that were made, affecting RI, Java and ECPG,
> among others, with a full list of changes available at:
>
>     ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/sources/v7.4/ChangeLog.BETA5.to.RC1
>
> As we are in the home stretch of a full release, we encourage as many as
> possible to test and report any bugs they can find, whether as part of the
> build process, or running in "real life" scenarios.
>
> If we've heard no reports back before midnight on Thursday, we are looking
> at a full code freeze, with a Final Release to happen on the following
> Monday.

Something told me to email you (or the list) over the weekend.  I just got two
P4 boxes in and the first thing that went on there was beta5 so I could play
around with pgbench and some other things to get my feet wet... but there was a
little voice that was saying perhaps I should wait.  :)

*happy 7.4 is almost released dance*

Hopefully I'll get some play time this week.

--
Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications

____________________________________
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:

MGF> As we are in the home stretch of a full release, we encourage as many as
MGF> possible to test and report any bugs they can find, whether as part of the
MGF> build process, or running in "real life" scenarios.

MGF> If we've heard no reports back before midnight on Thursday, we are looking
MGF> at a full code freeze, with a Final Release to happen on the following
MGF> Monday.

Does this now guarentee no more initdb will be required?

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
Vivek Khera wrote:

> MGF> As we are in the home stretch of a full release, we encourage as
> many as
> MGF> possible to test and report any bugs they can find, whether as
> part of the
> MGF> build process, or running in "real life" scenarios.
>
> MGF> If we've heard no reports back before midnight on Thursday, we
> are looking
> MGF> at a full code freeze, with a Final Release to happen on the
> following
> MGF> Monday.
>
> Does this now guarentee no more initdb will be required?

do I have to be a major guru or coder to be on the dev list? I'd REALLY
like to find out what the roadmap is for Postgres, especially in
relationship to locale's, sorting, and encodings.

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Vivek Khera wrote:

> MGF> As we are in the home stretch of a full release, we encourage as many as
> MGF> possible to test and report any bugs they can find, whether as part of the
> MGF> build process, or running in "real life" scenarios.
>
> MGF> If we've heard no reports back before midnight on Thursday, we are looking
> MGF> at a full code freeze, with a Final Release to happen on the following
> MGF> Monday.
>
> Does this now guarentee no more initdb will be required?

I hate to say *guarantee*, but it will be one helluva bug needing to be
fixed for it to be required ...

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Dennis Gearon wrote:

> do I have to be a major guru or coder to be on the dev list?

Nope, anyone's welcome to join

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Dennis Gearon writes:

> do I have to be a major guru or coder to be on the dev list?

No, you merely have to be able to follow the instructions to subscribe.

> I'd REALLY like to find out what the roadmap is for Postgres, especially
> in relationship to locale's, sorting, and encodings.

These things might be addressed in the next release.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> As we are in the home stretch of a full release, we encourage as many as
> possible to test and report any bugs they can find, whether as part of the
> build process, or running in "real life" scenarios.

Folks, we still need verification of PostgreSQL 7.4 on certain platforms.
See
<http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/supported-platforms.html>
for a list of what has already been tested.  In particular, if you have
any of the following platforms available,

IRIX
NetBSD (anything but ix86)
OpenBSD (anything but ix86 and sparc)
SCO OpenServer

please get the release candidate tarball and run ./configure; make all;
make check; make install on them to see whether everything works.  If you
have several compilers available (GCC and vendor compiler), try both.
Report the results together with `uname -a` to
pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Joseph Shraibman
Дата:
Dennis Gearon wrote:

> do I have to be a major guru or coder to be on the dev list? I'd REALLY
> like to find out what the roadmap is for Postgres, especially in
> relationship to locale's, sorting, and encodings.

Use the news server.

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
"Uwe C. Schroeder"
Дата:

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El Mar 04 Nov 2003 14:53, Peter Eisentraut escribió:
> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > As we are in the home stretch of a full release, we encourage as many as
> > possible to test and report any bugs they can find, whether as part of the
> > build process, or running in "real life" scenarios.
>
> Folks, we still need verification of PostgreSQL 7.4 on certain platforms.
> See
> <http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/supported-platforms.html>
> for a list of what has already been tested.  In particular, if you have
> any of the following platforms available,
>
> IRIX
> NetBSD (anything but ix86)
> OpenBSD (anything but ix86 and sparc)
> SCO OpenServer
>
> please get the release candidate tarball and run ./configure; make all;
> make check; make install on them to see whether everything works.  If you
> have several compilers available (GCC and vendor compiler), try both.
> Report the results together with `uname -a` to
> pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org.

I saw that no body tried it on 64 bit Linux SPARC.

bugs:~# uname -a
Linux bugs 2.4.21 #1 Thu Aug 7 20:30:12 EDT 2003 sparc64 GNU/Linux

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Martin Marques writes:

> I saw that no body tried it on 64 bit Linux SPARC.
>
> bugs:~# uname -a
> Linux bugs 2.4.21 #1 Thu Aug 7 20:30:12 EDT 2003 sparc64 GNU/Linux

Well, I did build it on a machine whose uname looked much like this, but
it was in fact a 32-bit build.  Are you sure yours was a 64-bit build?
(For example, long should be 8 bytes.)

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El Mar 04 Nov 2003 16:13, Peter Eisentraut escribió:
> Martin Marques writes:
>
> > I saw that no body tried it on 64 bit Linux SPARC.
> >
> > bugs:~# uname -a
> > Linux bugs 2.4.21 #1 Thu Aug 7 20:30:12 EDT 2003 sparc64 GNU/Linux
>
> Well, I did build it on a machine whose uname looked much like this, but
> it was in fact a 32-bit build.  Are you sure yours was a 64-bit build?
> (For example, long should be 8 bytes.)

Havn't built it yet, just got 7.4RC yestearday and thought about the 64 bit
build.
Are you saying it's not that all straight-forward to build a 64 bit
aplication, even having a 64 bit compiler, kernel, and, obviously,
architecture?

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar
Programador, Administrador, DBA |       Centro de Telemática
                       Universidad Nacional
                            del Litoral

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Martin Marques
Дата:
El Mar 04 Nov 2003 16:13, Peter Eisentraut escribió:
> Martin Marques writes:
>
> > I saw that no body tried it on 64 bit Linux SPARC.
> >
> > bugs:~# uname -a
> > Linux bugs 2.4.21 #1 Thu Aug 7 20:30:12 EDT 2003 sparc64 GNU/Linux
>
> Well, I did build it on a machine whose uname looked much like this, but
> it was in fact a 32-bit build.  Are you sure yours was a 64-bit build?
> (For example, long should be 8 bytes.)

Just got this from "configure":

checking whether long int is 64 bits... yes
checking for unsigned long... yes
checking size of unsigned long... 8
checking for short... yes
checking alignment of short... 2
checking for int... yes
checking alignment of int... 4
checking for long... yes
checking alignment of long... 8
checking for double... yes
checking alignment of double... 8

I think we have a 64 bit system here! :-)

--
select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
Martín Marqués                  |        mmarques@unl.edu.ar
Programador, Administrador, DBA |       Centro de Telemática
                       Universidad Nacional
                            del Litoral

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
>>SCO OpenServer
>>

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Just a sarcastic remark: Should SCO be supported at all after what they are
>doing ??

I could see UnixWare but OpenServer is an end of life platform, it seems
odd that we would support
it. Regardless of the SCO/Caldera BS that is going on.

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
Larry Rosenman

--On Tuesday, November 04, 2003 11:36:26 -0800 "Joshua D. Drake"
<jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

>>> SCO OpenServer
>>>

>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Just a sarcastic remark: Should SCO be supported at all after what they
>> are  doing ??
>>

> I could see UnixWare but OpenServer is an end of life platform, it seems
> odd that we would support
> it. Regardless of the SCO/Caldera BS that is going on.
Actually, It's not.  with the Legend Release (Due next year), it's getting
a major update.

I wouldn't say it's dead.

LER

>>    UC
>>
>> - --
>> Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
>> Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066
>> Cell:   +1 650 302 2405        United States
>> Fax:    +1 650 872 2417

> Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
> Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
> +1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
> Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
ljb
Дата:
scrappy@postgresql.org wrote:
> There is only one major change between Beta5 and RC1 that, so far, has
> been reported back ... RC1 will no longer work with TCL8.0.x, due to a
> change to pgtclCmds.c:

I sent in a revised patch which removes the loss of Tcl8.0.x compatibility.
Guess it didn't make RC1. I doubt anyone cares about Tcl 8.0.x anymore, but
it would mean one less thing to document in the release notes.

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

Дата:
ljb <ljb220@mindspring.com> writes:
> I sent in a revised patch which removes the loss of Tcl8.0.x compatibility.

When?  I don't recall having seen any such patch.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgtcl patch, lost messages? / was: PostgreSQL v7.4 Release Candidate 1

От
ljb
Дата:
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us wrote:
> ljb <ljb220@mindspring.com> writes:
>> I sent in a revised patch which removes the loss of Tcl8.0.x compatibility.
>
> When?  I don't recall having seen any such patch.

I must be doing something wrong.

I can see my second patch on the news server news.us.postgresql.org as
message 196 in comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.general, posted on Thu,
30 Oct 2003 01:17:41 +0000 (UTC).  But it isn't showing up on the archive
of pgsql-interfaces on the web site. Other things I posted to the
interfaces group (like a beta release announcement of pgin.tcl for
PostgreSQL-7.4) also don't show up. But my posts to pgsql-bugs and
other groups are showing up in the archive. Is there a problem here? I did
notice that the mailing list name (pgsql-interfaces) does not match the
newsgroup (comp.databases.postgresql.interfaces.general).

I'll repost the patch on pgsql-patches. But it's going to be against
PostgreSQL-7.4beta5, not 7.4RC1, because I can't download RC1 from here.
If you need the patch against 7.4RC1, I should be able to get it in a few
days.