Обсуждение: Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of

Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of

От
"Williams, Travis L, NEO"
Дата:
Not that my DB is that big..  but if it was and it contained any sort of
financial data (something that you might want to dispute 2 years down
the road) then I would have multiple replicated systems (which I do have
.. but they are MSSQL) and I would also be backing the data up to an
offsite storage.. either via tape or another box with enough storage
space.  Your best bet is to have geographical redundancy.

Travis

-----Original Message-----
From: Lincoln Yeoh [mailto:lyeoh@pop.jaring.my]
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 10:20 AM
To: Lamar Owen
Cc: PgSQL General ML
Subject: Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: [GENERAL] State of

>At 07:16 PM 9/13/2003 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
>'migration' server.  And I really don't want to think about
dump/restore
>of 100TB (if PostgreSQL actually stores the image files, which it
might).

Hmm. Just curious, do people generally backup 100TB of data, or once
most
reach this point they have to hope that it's just hardware failures
they'll
deal with and not software/other issues?

100TB sounds like a lot of backup media and time... Not to mention
ensuring
that the backups will work with available and functioning backup
hardware.

Head hurts just to think about it,

Link.

Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 12:55, Williams, Travis L, NEO wrote:
> Not that my DB is that big..  but if it was and it contained any sort of
> financial data (something that you might want to dispute 2 years down
> the road) then I would have multiple replicated systems (which I do have
> .. but they are MSSQL) and I would also be backing the data up to an
> offsite storage.. either via tape or another box with enough storage
> space.  Your best bet is to have geographical redundancy.

There are companies (Iron Mountain comes to mind) that have *large*,
secure, temperature-controlled warehouses (an old mine, in Iron
Mountain's case) and couriers that will bring your tapes (and
other documents, for that matter) to their facilities.

You put the "stuff" to be brought off-site in a special box, with
the "recycle date" on it.  Each day/week/month, they will bring
back the "old" box(es) and take away the "new" box(es).

For a fee, or as part of the service contract, some will even
bring out boxes at odd hours of the night/weekend.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be based
on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the wheel and axle,
the screw, the wedge and the inclined plane."
Marilyn Vos Savant

Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Ron Johnson wrote:
> There are companies (Iron Mountain comes to mind) that have *large*,
> secure, temperature-controlled warehouses (an old mine, in Iron
> Mountain's case) and couriers that will bring your tapes (and
> other documents, for that matter) to their facilities.

Actually, part of this database's mission is to do this sort of thing
here, as we have large, temperature and humidity controlled rooms (with
raised floor) for storing backup data.  Security at this site is, well,
legendary.  Or at least it was.  But the bullet-proof glass on what
windows are here tend to have an impression -- and in this case
'bullet-proof' includes 50 caliber machine guns.  You just have to read
about it to believe it: google for 'Rosman Research Station' and see
www.pari.edu.

The front door to the building we're going to use for archiving has a
Sargent and Greenleaf combination lock on it, and is bullet-proof.  This
is the only entrance -- there are a number of exits, but only the one
entrance.  Well, except for the tunnel, but that's a different story.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology