Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of

От Ron Johnson
Тема Re: need for in-place upgrades (was Re: State of
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 12:55, Williams, Travis L, NEO wrote:
> Not that my DB is that big..  but if it was and it contained any sort of
> financial data (something that you might want to dispute 2 years down
> the road) then I would have multiple replicated systems (which I do have
> .. but they are MSSQL) and I would also be backing the data up to an
> offsite storage.. either via tape or another box with enough storage
> space.  Your best bet is to have geographical redundancy.

There are companies (Iron Mountain comes to mind) that have *large*,
secure, temperature-controlled warehouses (an old mine, in Iron
Mountain's case) and couriers that will bring your tapes (and
other documents, for that matter) to their facilities.

You put the "stuff" to be brought off-site in a special box, with
the "recycle date" on it.  Each day/week/month, they will bring
back the "old" box(es) and take away the "new" box(es).

For a fee, or as part of the service contract, some will even
bring out boxes at odd hours of the night/weekend.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be based
on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the wheel and axle,
the screw, the wedge and the inclined plane."
Marilyn Vos Savant