Обсуждение: Tomcat Connection Pool?

Tomcat Connection Pool?

От
Bjørn T Johansen
Дата:
I am running a connection pool for the PostgreSQL and I was wondering which values you would reccommend for the connection pool?

                <parameter>
                        <name>maxWait</name>
                        <value>5000</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>maxActive</name>
                        <value>10</value>
                </parameter>
                <parameter>
                        <name>maxIdle</name>
                        <value>2</value>
                </parameter>

What does maxWait and maxIdle means?

Regards,

BTJ

Bjørn T Johansen (BSc,MNIF)
Executive Manager
btj@havleik.no                  Havleik Consulting
Phone : +47 67 54 15 17         Conradisvei 4
Fax : +47 67 54 13 91           N-1338 Sandvika
Cellular : +47 926 93 298       http://www.havleik.no
"The stickers on the side of the box said "Supported Platforms: Windows
98, Windows NT 4.0,
Windows 2000 or better", so clearly Linux was a supported platform."

Re: Tomcat Connection Pool?

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 02/09/2003 23:06 Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> I am running a connection pool for the PostgreSQL and I was wondering
> which values you would reccommend for the connection pool?
>
>                 <parameter>
>                         <name>maxWait</name>
>                         <value>5000</value>
>                 </parameter>
>                 <parameter>
>                         <name>maxActive</name>
>                         <value>10</value>
>                 </parameter>
>                 <parameter>
>                         <name>maxIdle</name>
>                         <value>2</value>
>                 </parameter>
>
> What does maxWait and maxIdle means?

maxWait is is maximum time the connection pool will wait for a connection
to become available so it only has an effect when all maxActive
connections are being used at the same time. maxIdle is the maximum number
of connections what the pool will keep open. Using your settings as an
example, say you reach a point where all 10 connections have beed created
and are in use and that sometime later the nunber of requests drops so
that they can serviced by just a few connections. In this case excess idle
connections will be closed but there will always be at least maxIdle
connections left open.
HTH

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Tomcat Connection Pool?

От
Bjørn T Johansen
Дата:
Oki, thx... Any ideas to what is sensible values also?
(Like number of maxIdle compared to maxActive, etc..)

BTJ

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 15:34, Paul Thomas wrote:
> On 02/09/2003 23:06 Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > I am running a connection pool for the PostgreSQL and I was wondering
> > which values you would reccommend for the connection pool?
> >
> >                 <parameter>
> >                         <name>maxWait</name>
> >                         <value>5000</value>
> >                 </parameter>
> >                 <parameter>
> >                         <name>maxActive</name>
> >                         <value>10</value>
> >                 </parameter>
> >                 <parameter>
> >                         <name>maxIdle</name>
> >                         <value>2</value>
> >                 </parameter>
> >
> > What does maxWait and maxIdle means?
>
> maxWait is is maximum time the connection pool will wait for a connection
> to become available so it only has an effect when all maxActive
> connections are being used at the same time. maxIdle is the maximum number
> of connections what the pool will keep open. Using your settings as an
> example, say you reach a point where all 10 connections have beed created
> and are in use and that sometime later the nunber of requests drops so
> that they can serviced by just a few connections. In this case excess idle
> connections will be closed but there will always be at least maxIdle
> connections left open.
> HTH

Re: Tomcat Connection Pool?

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 03/09/2003 22:56 Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> Oki, thx... Any ideas to what is sensible values also?
> (Like number of maxIdle compared to maxActive, etc..)

I think sensible values are going to be very dependent on the number of
requests. One way to find out might be to write a little utility to count
the number of back-end postgres connections and have it run every 3 or 4
seconds. That would give you an idea of the maximum and average number of
connections being used.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Tomcat Connection Pool?

От
"Bjorn T Johansen"

> On 03/09/2003 22:56 Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
>> Oki, thx... Any ideas to what is sensible values also?
>> (Like number of maxIdle compared to maxActive, etc..)
>>

> I think sensible values are going to be very dependent on the number of
> requests. One way to find out might be to write a little utility to count
> the number of back-end postgres connections and have it run every 3 or 4
> seconds. That would give you an idea of the maximum and average number of
> connections being used.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Paul Thomas

Well, that's one way to go. Guess I just have to try and fail... :)
Thx....

BTJ