Обсуждение: The ..... worm

The ..... worm

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
<OT about the worm>
Jeessh, a lot of people have my email address.

I have received about 500 copies of the worm in the last 24 hours. My
mail spool at work was sooooo full I couldn't get out or relay or
anything. The wierd part is that it's my work address, and I'm
subscribed to almost all my lists through the address above or my
previous home address. YEARS ago I was using the work address for lists,
but not for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.
</OT about the worm>

Re: The ..... worm

От
Guy Fraser
Дата:
Running mozilla on linux and having my mail processed by postini,
_http://www.postini.com_, I haven't had any problems other that lots of
quarantined mail at postini. Having the mail quarantined off site saves
bandwith as well.

I work at an ISP and we use postini for all email that ends up on our
mail servers.

We used to run Spam Assassin for all our mail, but since we moved to
postini our bandwith savings have been great. I still have Spam Assassin
running for my account but postini is so good that I only get about 1%
of the UE {unsolicited email} that makes it through and Spam Assassin
usualy catches about half of the ones that make it through. In a week I
usaualy get about one UE to my inbox, 5 into my Spam Assassin mail box
and about 500 quarantined at postini. Now that I ahve my white lists
setup at postine I only get one or two legitimate messages captured per
week. I normaly get around 5000-10,000 messages a week, so the time
savings of having all UE quarantined off site where I can delete them
without downloading them save a lot of time and bandwidth.

I don't work for, or get kick backs for, Postini. They are worth while
looking into especialy for medium to large organizations, because they
keep their virus checkers and UE algorithms up to date and most large to
medium sized organizations can recoup their postini costs with their
savings in bandwidth, and lost productivity of staff having to download
and pick out the UE from the real mail, possibly getting infected by a
virus while doing so.

NOTE: I use UE so that Hormel {http://www.spam.com/} doesn't get upset
with me ;-)

Guy

PS Keep your worm to your self :-D

Dennis Gearon wrote:

> <OT about the worm>
> Jeessh, a lot of people have my email address.
>
> I have received about 500 copies of the worm in the last 24 hours. My
> mail spool at work was sooooo full I couldn't get out or relay or
> anything. The wierd part is that it's my work address, and I'm
> subscribed to almost all my lists through the address above or my
> previous home address. YEARS ago I was using the work address for
> lists, but not for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.
> </OT about the worm>

Re: The ..... worm

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 22/08/2003 22:18 Dennis Gearon wrote:
> <OT about the worm>
> Jeessh, a lot of people have my email address.
>
> I have received about 500 copies of the worm in the last 24 hours. My
> mail spool at work was sooooo full I couldn't get out or relay or
> anything. The wierd part is that it's my work address, and I'm
> subscribed to almost all my lists through the address above or my
> previous home address. YEARS ago I was using the work address for lists,
> but not for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.
> </OT about the worm>

Asuming you mean Sobig-9...

 From what I've read, the US seems to have suffered the major hit with
this email virus although it it must be spreading to the UK today as it's
now officially news over here.

I had about 5 or 6 copies sent on Tuesday but nothing since. I used to be
paranoid but now I know everybody hates me :)

OTOH, the Blaster worm seems to be doing a positive social service as I've
noticed a massive drop in Code Red "get default.ida.." requests to the web
server on my DSL line.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: The ..... worm

От
Lincoln Yeoh
Thing is, in my case it wasn't due to that many people, most were mainly
from one guy at rr.com

Common header:

And he was the source of 260 in one day, total so far = 609!

Really not sure why that happened - shouldn't the worm be sending to many
and not blast just one address. Is it blasting 500 copies to each person on
all the lists- but how's that going to make it spread faster.

At 02:18 PM 8/22/2003 -0700, Dennis Gearon wrote:

><OT about the worm>
>Jeessh, a lot of people have my email address.
>
>I have received about 500 copies of the worm in the last 24 hours. My mail
>spool at work was sooooo full I couldn't get out or relay or anything. The
>wierd part is that it's my work address, and I'm subscribed to almost all
>my lists through the address above or my previous home address. YEARS ago
>I was using the work address for lists, but not for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.
></OT about the worm>

Re: The ..... worm

От
Florian Weimer
Дата:
Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my> writes:

> Thing is, in my case it wasn't due to that many people, most were
> mainly from one guy at rr.com
>
> Common header:

                 ^^^^^

You should filter on this string (which MUST contain a dot according
to RFC 2821).  You can do this by rejecting HELO/EHLO commands which
lack a ".".  Be sure to activate this filter only for mail received
from the Internet; your local Windows clients might generate it, too.

Re: The ..... worm

От
expect
Дата:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:18:19 -0700
Why does this list even use real addresses?  Why not have From and To the same?
i.e. pgsql-general@postgresql.org

Is it a social issue or technical? I'd be surprised if it was the latter.

> <OT about the worm>
> Jeessh, a lot of people have my email address.
>
> I have received about 500 copies of the worm in the last 24 hours. My
> mail spool at work was sooooo full I couldn't get out or relay or
> anything. The wierd part is that it's my work address, and I'm
> subscribed to almost all my lists through the address above or my
> previous home address. YEARS ago I was using the work address for lists,
> but not for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.
> </OT about the worm>

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: The ..... worm

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 15:49:26 -0700,
  expect <expect@ihubbell.com> wrote:

> Why does this list even use real addresses?  Why not have From and To the same?
> i.e. pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>
> Is it a social issue or technical? I'd be surprised if it was the latter.

As you have been told previously, not everyone who posts to these lists
are on the lists and their address is needed to get replies.

Re: The ..... worm

От
expect
Дата:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:35:17 -0500
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 15:49:26 -0700,
>   expect <expect@ihubbell.com> wrote:
> >
> > Why does this list even use real addresses?  Why not have From and To the same?
> > i.e. pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> >
> > Is it a social issue or technical? I'd be surprised if it was the latter.
>
> As you have been told previously, not everyone who posts to these lists
> are on the lists and their address is needed to get replies.

Really?  I don't remember anyone pointing that out.
Anyway it's a social issue then...it's unfortunate.  Since signing on to the
list my inbox is looking a lot worse than I've ever seen it.

Other lists I subscribe to do not suffer from the spam plague in the way this
list does.  I wish I'd known that before signing on rather than after.
<shrug>

Re: The ..... worm

Дата:
expect <expect@ihubbell.com> writes:
> Other lists I subscribe to do not suffer from the spam plague in the way this
> list does.  I wish I'd known that before signing on rather than after.

[ raised eyebrow ]  I subscribe to many mailing lists.  On most of the
other lists I have to apply spam filtering to what arrives, but the PG
lists are very nearly spam-free (thanks to Marc's hard work).  I dunno
what you are complaining about.

            regards, tom lane

Re: The ..... worm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:17:21AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> expect <expect@ihubbell.com> writes:
> > Other lists I subscribe to do not suffer from the spam plague in the way this
> > list does.  I wish I'd known that before signing on rather than after.
>
> [ raised eyebrow ]  I subscribe to many mailing lists.  On most of the
> other lists I have to apply spam filtering to what arrives, but the PG
> lists are very nearly spam-free (thanks to Marc's hard work).  I dunno
> what you are complaining about.

It is a valid complaint.  The fact was that the archives (at least on
archives.postgresql.org) kept the email addresses verbatim, right in front
of the eyes of any spammer's web crawler.

Fortunately, Cristoph Dalitz's repeated complaints have finally caused
Marc to reconfigure MHonArc so it won't publish the addresses.

You are right in that there is very little spam coming from the lists
themselves...

We take risks not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us.

Re: The ..... worm

От
Dennis Gearon
Tom Lane wrote:

>expect <expect@ihubbell.com> writes:
>

>>Other lists I subscribe to do not suffer from the spam plague in the way this
>>list does.  I wish I'd known that before signing on rather than after.
>>

>[ raised eyebrow ]  I subscribe to many mailing lists.  On most of the
>other lists I have to apply spam filtering to what arrives, but the PG
>lists are very nearly spam-free (thanks to Marc's hard work).  I dunno
>what you are complaining about.
>
>            regards, tom lane

>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

I get no spam or worms from the email  I use on this list.

Re: The ..... worm

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Fortunately, Cristoph Dalitz's repeated complaints have finally caused
> Marc to reconfigure MHonArc so it won't publish the addresses.

Actually, someone finally providing me with a means to 'mangle' the
addresses caused me to reconfigure it ... Christoph could complain until
his face turned blue, but if I didn't have a means to do it, it would
never have been done *shrug*

Re: The ..... worm

От
"Mark Cave-Ayland"
> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:40:28 -0400
> From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>
> To: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> Cc: expect <expect@ihubbell.com>, pgsql-general@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: The ..... worm
>
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:17:21AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > expect <expect@ihubbell.com> writes:
> > > Other lists I subscribe to do not suffer from the spam plague in
the
> > > way this list does.  I wish I'd known that before signing on
rather
> > > than after.
> >
> > [ raised eyebrow ]  I subscribe to many mailing lists.  On most of
the
> > other lists I have to apply spam filtering to what arrives, but the
PG
> > lists are very nearly spam-free (thanks to Marc's hard work).  I
dunno
> > what you are complaining about.
>
> It is a valid complaint.  The fact was that the archives (at least on
> archives.postgresql.org) kept the email addresses verbatim, right in
front of the eyes > > of any spammer's web crawler.

> Fortunately, Cristoph Dalitz's repeated complaints have finally caused
Marc to
> reconfigure MHonArc so it won't publish the addresses.

Hi everyone,

While we are still on this topic, can I put in another request? What I
didn't realise when I joined the postgresql mailing lists is that emails
to the mailing lists are sent to usenet comp.databases.postgresql.*
WITHOUT obfuscation/removal of email addresses. While I am happy for my
email address to be visible to private members of a mailing list, I
wasn't aware until after I had posted to the list and the spam started
trickling in that the email address was available publically on usenet
:(.

Mark, would it cause anyone any great problems if posts gated onto the
newsgroups had their email addresses removed, and would this be
possible? I can't see that it would cause anybody any problems since
casual readers could then still read/post to the group, and anyone
involved with any of the postgresql lists long enough for this to be a
problem would probably end up subscribing via email anyway. Anyone else
have any feelings on this? I know it's too late for most of us but it
might help some newbies...

Cheers,

Mark.

--

Mark Cave-Ayland
Webbased Ltd.

Tel: +44 (0)1752 764445
Fax: +44 (0)1752 764446

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You
should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute
its contents to any other person.

Re: The ..... worm

От
Francois Suter
Дата:
> Mark, would it cause anyone any great problems if posts gated onto the
> newsgroups had their email addresses removed, and would this be
> possible? I can't see that it would cause anybody any problems since
> casual readers could then still read/post to the group, and anyone
> involved with any of the postgresql lists long enough for this to be a
> problem would probably end up subscribing via email anyway. Anyone else
> have any feelings on this? I know it's too late for most of us but it
> might help some newbies...

I am not sure this is really going to help, because the e-mail
addresses are also harvested from the web-based archives. Still doesn't
such a reknowned ML tool as Majordomo have a feature that can hide
e-mail addresses (like automatically write them as someone AT any DOT
com) in the web archives?

Cheers.

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco

Re: The ..... worm

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 14:12:43 +0200,
  Francois Suter <dba@paragraf.ch> wrote:

> I am not sure this is really going to help, because the e-mail
> addresses are also harvested from the web-based archives. Still doesn't
> such a reknowned ML tool as Majordomo have a feature that can hide
> e-mail addresses (like automatically write them as someone AT any DOT
> com) in the web archives?

That isn't a real solution. Any standard way of munging addresses in a
reversable way will result in spammers writing a tool to extract the
addresses. So if you don't spammers to get addresses off the web archives,
then you don't want addresses there.

Re: The ..... worm

От
Guy Fraser

Francois Suter wrote:

>> Mark, would it cause anyone any great problems if posts gated onto the
>> newsgroups had their email addresses removed, and would this be
>> possible? I can't see that it would cause anybody any problems since
>> casual readers could then still read/post to the group, and anyone
>> involved with any of the postgresql lists long enough for this to be a
>> problem would probably end up subscribing via email anyway. Anyone else
>> have any feelings on this? I know it's too late for most of us but it
>> might help some newbies...
>

> I am not sure this is really going to help, because the e-mail
> addresses are also harvested from the web-based archives. Still
> doesn't such a reknowned ML tool as Majordomo have a feature that can
> hide e-mail addresses (like automatically write them as someone AT any
> DOT com) in the web archives?
>
> Cheers.
>
> ---------------
> Francois
>
> Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/
>
> "Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco

Unfortunatly harvesting (.*) at (.*)( dot (.*)){1,3} is not difficult
either.

I would not be suprised if harvesting tools don't already support most
obfuscation techniques.

The only way to quell spam is by having laws put in place that will make
such activities illegal,
and to force ISP's to enforce a minimum standard for their acceptable
use policy.

I work for an ISP and we have dumped a number of customers for spam
related activities.
Even though there is nothing legaly wrong with what they were doing, it
is against our acceptable
use policy. Unsolicited email cost us money, usualy more than what the
service costs the perpetrator.

In Canada their are general rules that CAIP {Canadian Assosiation of
Internet Providers} expect
members to follow. On the other hand starting in January 2004 the new
privacy laws come into
effect in Canada and in some ways may protect unsolicited email
perpetrators by making customers
log activities private. Although in raw form, ISP are expected to keep
archives of logs in case a
warant is issued. It makes enforcement of AUP's difficult, but internet
access is not a right and we
are not obliged to renew access to anyone once the service they paid for
expires.

If more ISP's banned such activities, there would not be such a problem.
But I know from experience
that once you have tracked down a spammer or hacker, it can be next to
impossible to get many ISP's
to stop the perpetrator. Most of the time law enforcement are just as
disinterested, unless the action is
media worthy.

Good luck
--

Guy Fraser
Network Administrator

There is a fine line between genius and lunacy, fear not, walk the
line with pride. Not all things will end up as you wanted, but you
will certainly discover things the meek and timid will miss out on.

Re: The ..... worm

От
"Keith G. Murphy"
Дата:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 14:12:43 +0200,
>   Francois Suter <dba@paragraf.ch> wrote:
>
>>I am not sure this is really going to help, because the e-mail
>>addresses are also harvested from the web-based archives. Still doesn't
>>such a reknowned ML tool as Majordomo have a feature that can hide
>>e-mail addresses (like automatically write them as someone AT any DOT
>>com) in the web archives?
>

> That isn't a real solution. Any standard way of munging addresses in a
> reversable way will result in spammers writing a tool to extract the
> addresses. So if you don't spammers to get addresses off the web archives,
> then you don't want addresses there.

Check this out:

http://nlug.org/listserv.php

They only show graphical images of the return addresses.  You'd have to
use text recognition software to harvest them.

Don't know what software they use, though; might be homegrown for all I
know.

Re: The ..... worm

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
Some of these image generating apps are even using a background similar
to the color blindness tests. I think even an image recognition program
would have a hard time with those.

Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 14:12:43 +0200,
>>   Francois Suter <dba@paragraf.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure this is really going to help, because the e-mail
>>> addresses are also harvested from the web-based archives. Still
>>> doesn't such a reknowned ML tool as Majordomo have a feature that
>>> can hide e-mail addresses (like automatically write them as someone
>>> AT any DOT com) in the web archives?
>>

>> That isn't a real solution. Any standard way of munging addresses in a
>> reversable way will result in spammers writing a tool to extract the
>> addresses. So if you don't spammers to get addresses off the web
>> archives,
>> then you don't want addresses there.
>>
> Check this out:
>
> http://nlug.org/listserv.php
>
> They only show graphical images of the return addresses.  You'd have
> to use text recognition software to harvest them.
>
> Don't know what software they use, though; might be homegrown for all
> I know.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: The ..... worm

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Дата:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Dennis Gearon wrote:

> Some of these image generating apps are even using a background similar
> to the color blindness tests. I think even an image recognition program
> would have a hard time with those.

Well that's us colour blind readers flumoxed when trying to reply. :)

--
Nigel Andrews

Re: The ..... worm

От
"Keith G. Murphy"
Дата:
Hmmm, speaking of blindness... that's the objection to doing it that
way: blind users using speech synthesis software couldn't see the return
addresses...