Обсуждение: Reverse compatibility

Reverse compatibility

От
"David Olbersen"
Дата:
Hello all,

I 'found' a server I'd like to use for something database related. It's got an older version of postgres on it (7.0.2)
andI'd like to install an upgraded (7.3.2) client & associated libraries.

I don't think this server is being used for anything, but if it is, will I end up making any database related items
failbecause of the newer client & libraries?

--------------------------
David Olbersen
iGuard Engineer
St. Bernard Software
11415 West Bernardo Court
San Diego, CA 92127
1-858-676-2277 x2152

Re: Reverse compatibility

Дата:
"David Olbersen" <DOlbersen@stbernard.com> writes:
> I 'found' a server I'd like to use for something database related. It's got an older version of postgres on it
(7.0.2)and I'd like to install an upgraded (7.3.2) client & associated libraries.

> I don't think this server is being used for anything, but if it is, will I end up making any database related items
failbecause of the newer client & libraries?

You might.  See the Release Notes for backwards-compatibility gotchas
introduced in 7.1, 7.2, or 7.3.  There aren't very many, but there are
some ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Reverse compatibility

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:

>> I don't think this server is being used for anything, but if it is,
>> will I end up making any database related items fail because of the
>> newer client & libraries?

TL> You might.  See the Release Notes for backwards-compatibility gotchas
TL> introduced in 7.1, 7.2, or 7.3.  There aren't very many, but there are
TL> some ...

I can tell you for sure that using the psql command line client from
7.3 will barf when connecting to a 7.2 server.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: Reverse compatibility

От
"David Olbersen"
Дата:
Vivek,

> I can tell you for sure that using the psql command line client from
> 7.3 will barf when connecting to a 7.2 server.

Is "barf" a technical term? :)

Perhaps I wasn't being clear enough. What I want to do is upgrade the client software on this machine so that I can use
itas a client for a 7.3 server. The only problem I worry about is any applications I don't know about which connect to
the7.2 server via the Pg Perl module, or something similar.

--------------------------
David Olbersen
iGuard Engineer
St. Bernard Software
11415 West Bernardo Court
San Diego, CA 92127
1-858-676-2277 x2152

Дата:

DO> Vivek,
>> I can tell you for sure that using the psql command line client from
>> 7.3 will barf when connecting to a 7.2 server.

DO> Is "barf" a technical term? :)

Yes, but you only learn it in post-graduate comp-sci classes.

DO> Perhaps I wasn't being clear enough. What I want to do is upgrade
DO> the client software on this machine so that I can use it as a
DO> client for a 7.3 server. The only problem I worry about is any
DO> applications I don't know about which connect to the 7.2 server
DO> via the Pg Perl module, or something similar.

The C client library, ie, libpq, will speak with older and newer
versions of the server since the core protocol has not canged, AFAIK.

The command line programs and utilities are version specific.