Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP

PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP

От
"Nikola Milutinovic"
Дата:
Hi all.

Maybe this has already been discussed, but here goes. I'm trying to run PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP Professional. After
sometime I've learned that it must be installed under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL for Cygwin to work (my default drive
isD).

When I run "initdb", it starts and when it reaches a point of creating "template1" DB, it - or should I say postmaster
-crashes, saying it failed initialising Semaphores in a procedure Ipc*******. Now, I know that Windows most likely
doesn'thave IPC and that *that* procedure must be some sort of "internal adapter" for different OSes. I'm also pretty
sureit works on at least some other Windows OS, but I'd like to have it WinXP.

Can anyone lend a hand, shed some light,...

Nix.

Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi Nix,

It sounds like you're trying to run the PostgreSQL "Proof of Concept" version, which is getting a bit out-of-date now.

Although it's a little bit more tedious to install, the proper cygwin version is what you really should be looking at
fornow.

http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin

Hope that helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Maybe this has already been discussed, but here goes. I'm trying to run PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP Professional. After
sometime I've learned that it must be installed under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL for Cygwin to work (my default drive
isD).

> When I run "initdb", it starts and when it reaches a point of creating "template1" DB, it - or should I say
postmaster- crashes, saying it failed initialising Semaphores in a procedure Ipc*******. Now, I know that Windows most
likelydoesn't have IPC and that *that* procedure must be some sort of "internal adapter" for different OSes. I'm also
prettysure it works on at least some other Windows OS, but I'd like to have it WinXP.

> Can anyone lend a hand, shed some light,...
>
> Nix.

- Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP

От
Darko Prenosil (by way of Darko Prenosil
Дата:
On Tuesday 27 May 2003 07:29, Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Maybe this has already been discussed, but here goes. I'm trying to run
> PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP Professional. After some time I've learned that
> it must be installed under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL for Cygwin to work
> (my default drive is D).
>
> When I run "initdb", it starts and when it reaches a point of creating
> "template1" DB, it - or should I say postmaster - crashes, saying it failed
> initialising Semaphores in a procedure Ipc*******. Now, I know that Windows
> most likely doesn't have IPC and that *that* procedure must be some sort of
> "internal adapter" for different OSes. I'm also pretty sure it works on at
> least some other Windows OS, but I'd like to have it WinXP.
>
> Can anyone lend a hand, shed some light,...

    Yes, You have to download and install IPC package.
There is detailed description on how to install IPC and setup postgresql on
cygwin in /usr/share/packages or something like that. If You do not manage to
find it, let me know, I will send You right location(I'm on my linux box now
and can not check).

    Regards !

P.S. Pomalo smješno, ali takva su pravila (pitanje na engleskom-odgovor na
engleskom)

Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP

От
Együd Csaba
Дата:
Hi Nix,
I'm using Postgres under WinXP Prof. It works properly and smoothly. I set
up postgres 7.3.2 from the binary cygwin distribution. It does the most of
the work but I aslo had to install cygipc-1.13-2 by hand to make it work.
Thats all. The only thing I could suggest you trying this way. It must work.
Do not forget to start ipc-daemon before starting postgres.
I hope it'll be useful.

Best Regards
-- Csaba

> Maybe this has already been discussed, but here goes. I'm trying to run
PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP Professional. After some time I've learned that it
must be installed under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL for Cygwin to work (my
default drive is D).

> When I run "initdb", it starts and when it reaches a point of creating
"template1" DB, it - or should I say postmaster - crashes, saying it failed
initialising Semaphores in a procedure Ipc*******. Now, I know that Windows
most likely doesn't have IPC and that *that* procedure must be some sort of
"internal adapter" for different OSes. I'm also pretty sure it works on at
least some other Windows OS, but I'd like to have it WinXP.

> Can anyone lend a hand, shed some light,...
>
> Nix.

Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP

От
"Eric Anderson Vianet SAO"
Дата:
How can I discover which toast table referent to a phisic table?

example: table name tbdmovimento. how could i know the toast table name to
reindex it.

tnx.

Eric Anderson Martins Miranda
Net Admin @ Via Net SAO
> It sounds like you're trying to run the PostgreSQL "Proof of Concept"
version, which is getting a bit out-of-date now.

> Although it's a little bit more tedious to install, the proper cygwin
version is what you really should be looking at for now.

> http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

> Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Maybe this has already been discussed, but here goes. I'm trying to run
PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP Professional. After some time I've learned that it
must be installed under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL for Cygwin to work (my
default drive is D).

> > When I run "initdb", it starts and when it reaches a point of creating
"template1" DB, it - or should I say postmaster - crashes, saying it failed
initialising Semaphores in a procedure Ipc*******. Now, I know that Windows
most likely doesn't have IPC and that *that* procedure must be some sort of
"internal adapter" for different OSes. I'm also pretty sure it works on at
least some other Windows OS, but I'd like to have it WinXP.

> > Can anyone lend a hand, shed some light,...
> >
> > Nix.

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

> - Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on WinXP

От
"Nikola Milutinovic"
Дата:
> > Hi Nix,
> >
> > It sounds like you're trying to run the PostgreSQL "Proof of Concept"
> version, which is getting a bit out-of-date now.
> >
> > Although it's a little bit more tedious to install, the proper cygwin
> version is what you really should be looking at for now.
> >
> > http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin

Hi people, thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction - IPC Daemon of Cygwin was not running.

Reasons for my initial failure wre multiple. Firstly, my default installation is on drive D:, while Cygwin was built
fordrive C:. On the other hand, since the purpose of my installation was to test inputting data from a SQL script,
builtfrom XML using XSLT (Xalan), all I needed was a running database. I didn't want to install PostgreSQL as a
service.The "pgsqlstart" script doesn't start IPC daemon (maybe this needs to be corrected?). Also, my location of DATA
directorywas different from the default, due to lack of space.

:-)

Well, having had 2 years of expirience with PgSQL on Tru64 UNIX, I found my way around. :-)

Nix.