Обсуждение: 7.3.2, pam, on Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686

7.3.2, pam, on Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686

От
ahoward

greetings-

i've read quite a few posts, but no resolution, to woes people seem to have
setting pam up in pg_hba.conf.

my problem is as all the rest - it doesn't work, but should.  i'm 100%
confident that i've set things up correctly as i've got pam working on another
linux/pgsql pair (different versions).

so, before i post another detailed trace of my exact error's/failures i wanted
to see if anyone knows of bugs pertaining to pam or postgresql's interface to
it?  if so, are there patches out there?  has anyone out there gotten pam to
work unsing 7.3.2 on Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686?

thanks in advance for any information.

regards.

-a

--
  ====================================
  | Ara Howard
  | NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
  | Information and Technology Services
  | Data Systems Group
  | R/FST 325 Broadway
  | Boulder, CO 80305-3328
  | Email: ara.t.howard@fsl.noaa.gov
  | Phone:  303-497-7238
  | Fax:    303-497-7259
  ====================================

Re: 7.3.2, pam, on Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686

От
ahoward
Дата:
well - scoured the new groups and no fixes seem to exist.

this works though:

  chmod 444 /etc/shadow

;-)

i know that's no a 'good thing'.  but how else is a daemon running as user
postgres supposed to use a lib which must eventually open /etc/shadow (i some
configurations).  does this sound like a bug in pam?

-a

--
  ====================================
  ====================================

Re: 7.3.2, pam, on Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686

От
ahoward
Дата:
On Sat, 16 May 2003, Kochin Chang wrote:

> Yes, changing permission of /etc/shadow does work, but it realy is NOT
> a 'good thing' as you said.

agreed - though the pam FAQ reccomends it.

> In fact, PostgreSQL and pam_unix (or pam_pwdb for that matter) are not
> compatible by design.
>
> PostgreSQL doesn't allow itself to run as root. On RedHat Linux a user
> postgres is used to run the server process. When a client tries to
> connect, it spawns a process, also with postgres's uid, for the
> connection.
>
> Now suppose you have an entry
>
> host   all   all   192.168.24.0   255.255.255.0   pam postgresql
>
> in your pg_hba.conf file, and your /etc/pam.d/postgresql looks like
>
> auth      required   pam_unix.so
> account   required   pam_permit.so
>
> or
>
> auth      required   pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> account   required   pam_permit.so
>
> After received username/password, PostgreSQL uses pam_unix module to
> authenticate the user. What happens with pam_unix is that it sees that
> the calling process's uid is not root, so it calls a helper program
> named unix_chkpwd to verify the password. Unix_chkpwd does a seteuid
> to use the calling process's uid, and then tries to read the password
> info.
>
> Since the process's uid is postgres's uid, the only password info
> allowed to access is postgres's. Accessing any other user's info will
> fail. Therefore the pam_unix reports authenticaion failure unless the
> user happens to be postgres.
>
> The pam_unix's behavior is designed to prevent a user to access other
> users' information. For example, a user entering passwd command can
> only change his/her own password.
>
> Therefore, unless we want to change PostgreSQL to run as root or
> pam_unix to allow access other users' info, those two won't be able to
> work together. Of course, we can create a PAM module to work specific
> for this type of situation.....
>

> Kochin Chang

thanks alot for the detailed description - i suspected that to be the case,
but it's good to have confirmed.  it would seem that making a pam module to
handle this case would be preferable to allow postgresql to run as root, since
that would seem to open many root shell exploits...

i've posted a similar email to pam-linux and am waiting for a response from
that group as well.

-a

--
  ====================================
  ====================================

Re: 7.3.2, pam, on Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686

От
ahoward
Дата:
On Sun, 18 May 2003, root wrote:

> ilia@prohost.org
> My Email
>
> Root's sig

huh?

--

Re: 7.3.2, pam, on Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686

От
kochinc@yahoo.com (Kochin Chang)
Дата:
Hi Ara,

Have you got any things from pam-linux mailing list? I am also
interested in their opinions.

Kochin Chang