Re: 7.3.2, pam, on Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686

От ahoward
Тема Re: 7.3.2, pam, on Linux 2.4.18-18.7.x i686
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 16 May 2003, Kochin Chang wrote:

> Yes, changing permission of /etc/shadow does work, but it realy is NOT
> a 'good thing' as you said.

agreed - though the pam FAQ reccomends it.

> In fact, PostgreSQL and pam_unix (or pam_pwdb for that matter) are not
> compatible by design.
>
> PostgreSQL doesn't allow itself to run as root. On RedHat Linux a user
> postgres is used to run the server process. When a client tries to
> connect, it spawns a process, also with postgres's uid, for the
> connection.
>
> Now suppose you have an entry
>
> host   all   all   192.168.24.0   255.255.255.0   pam postgresql
>
> in your pg_hba.conf file, and your /etc/pam.d/postgresql looks like
>
> auth      required   pam_unix.so
> account   required   pam_permit.so
>
> or
>
> auth      required   pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> account   required   pam_permit.so
>
> After received username/password, PostgreSQL uses pam_unix module to
> authenticate the user. What happens with pam_unix is that it sees that
> the calling process's uid is not root, so it calls a helper program
> named unix_chkpwd to verify the password. Unix_chkpwd does a seteuid
> to use the calling process's uid, and then tries to read the password
> info.
>
> Since the process's uid is postgres's uid, the only password info
> allowed to access is postgres's. Accessing any other user's info will
> fail. Therefore the pam_unix reports authenticaion failure unless the
> user happens to be postgres.
>
> The pam_unix's behavior is designed to prevent a user to access other
> users' information. For example, a user entering passwd command can
> only change his/her own password.
>
> Therefore, unless we want to change PostgreSQL to run as root or
> pam_unix to allow access other users' info, those two won't be able to
> work together. Of course, we can create a PAM module to work specific
> for this type of situation.....
>

> Kochin Chang

thanks alot for the detailed description - i suspected that to be the case,
but it's good to have confirmed.  it would seem that making a pam module to
handle this case would be preferable to allow postgresql to run as root, since
that would seem to open many root shell exploits...

i've posted a similar email to pam-linux and am waiting for a response from
that group as well.

-a

--