Обсуждение: Visual design tools for Postgresql

Visual design tools for Postgresql

От
Erwin Moller
Дата:
Hello group,

(Please don't flame me.)
I have been looking for a database design tool for Postgresql.

What I am looking for is a tool that:
- visually represents the tables,
- is able to DELETE and ADD columns
- can set the constraints for a column, PK, FK, indexes, etc

What I am looking for is a tool that actually UPDATES the real database
when I change things in the design.

Yes, I come from the M$ SQLServer world and guess I am spoiled a bit. :-/

Tool I found so far only show, but cannot manipulate these things in a
database.

I am running RHDB (Redhat Database) which is actually the latest
reincarnation of Postgres.
It runs on Redhat8

Packages I tried:

Tools I looked at and tried, but didn't do what I want:
- RedHat Database Administrator
- Redhat Database Visual Explain
- phpPGAdmin
- DBVisualizer
- pgaccess
- the tool included in Webmin

PGAdmin / PGAdmin II: Doesn't run on Linux. :-(

What makes developing on Postgres slow for me is the fact that I have to
recreated tables from the PSQL commandline tool, drop indexes by hand.
That is just a lot of work when you are designing your database.

Don't get me wrong: I love Postgres, but I am missing that really great
visual tool.

It think my question is clear: Does anybody know of such a tool?

Tip for other newbies: http://gborg.postgresql.org/browse.php contains
lots of lnks to all kind of products.

Please respond if you have anthing to say about this subject.

Thank you for your time.

High regards,
Erwin Moller

Re: Visual design tools for Postgresql

Дата:
Erwin Moller <erwin@_removespam_dexus.nl> writes:
> What I am looking for is a tool that:
> - visually represents the tables,
> - is able to DELETE and ADD columns
> - can set the constraints for a column, PK, FK, indexes, etc

AFAIK, RHDB Admin can do all that (except possibly DROP COLUMN,
since it's not yet up-to-date for 7.3 where the backend added that
capability).  I'm pretty sure that you've missed functionality that
exists in several other tools that you dismissed out-of-hand here.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Visual design tools for Postgresql

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Erwin Moller wrote:

> Hello group,
>
> (Please don't flame me.)
> I have been looking for a database design tool for Postgresql.
<snip>

Hi Erwin,

Other people will also be able to recommend things for you, but it's
worth pointing you to the list of PostgreSQL GUI tools that we know of
so far as well:

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Thank you for your time.
>
> High regards,
> Erwin Moller

- Indira Gandhi

Re: Visual design tools for Postgresql

От
"Alan T. Miller"
Дата:
I was just checking out Case Studio 2 tonight, which is actually linked to
the PostgreSQL site, and so far I am really impressed.

http://www.casestudio.com

Alan

> > I have been looking for a database design tool for Postgresql.
> <snip>
>
> Hi Erwin,
>
> Other people will also be able to recommend things for you, but it's
> worth pointing you to the list of PostgreSQL GUI tools that we know of
> so far as well:
>
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

> > Thank you for your time.
> >
> > High regards,
> > Erwin Moller

> - Indira Gandhi

Re: Visual design tools for Postgresql

От
"Robert Fitzpatrick"

> What I am looking for is a tool that:
> - visually represents the tables,
> - is able to DELETE and ADD columns
> - can set the constraints for a column, PK, FK, indexes, etc
>
> What I am looking for is a tool that actually UPDATES the
> real database
> when I change things in the design.

   http://ems-hitech.com/pgmanager/

Note that only PostgreSQL 7.3 will allow deletion of columns....

--
Robert