Обсуждение: 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
"Ben-Nes Michael"
Дата:
Hi

After I upgraded 7.2.3 to 7.3 I started to get the following errors:
pg_atoi: zero-length string

its seems that i get it when not all field have content:

this is one example that generate the error:
insert into images (section_id, pic_date, image_order) values ('8',
'2002-12-03', '')

7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
Lee Kindness
Дата:
Hi, one of the changes in 7.3 was to disallow '' being implicitly
converted to 0. In your example below image_order is clearly not a
text/char column, so what are you trying to set it too? If you want it
be 0 then explicitly use 0, if you want it to be undefined then use
NULL.

Lee.

Ben-Nes Michael writes:
 > Hi
 >
 > After I upgraded 7.2.3 to 7.3 I started to get the following errors:
 > pg_atoi: zero-length string
 >
 > its seems that i get it when not all field have content:
 >
 > this is one example that generate the error:
 > insert into images (section_id, pic_date, image_order) values ('8',
 > '2002-12-03', '')

Re: 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
"Ben-Nes Michael"
Дата:
That's indeed very nice but I don't see the logic in it.

If I want to upgrade I need to go on all my projects and change thousands of
lines.

And that's not all :(
I have other applications like phprojekt that was not developed by me and
became useless now as I cant insert.

Was this step so necessary ?

broadcast)---------------------------
majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
Lee Kindness
Дата:
Was it necessary? No idea, you're welcome to search through the
pgsql-hackers archives to determine the reasoning behind the change. I
believe the change was made by Bruce Momjian (going by the release
notes). I only remember reading the discussion in passing.

This is also one of the reasons for beta releases - to allow people to
test against the new version and pick up these sort of things. Either
this gives them/you time to make changes, or to lobby to get the old
behaviour back.

If I were in your situation i'd probably hack back the old behaviour
to 7.3, compile and run that while changes were made. Or stick with
7.2.x until changes were made to your applications, have you got a
'big carrot' for going with 7.3?

Lee.

Ben-Nes Michael writes:
 > That's indeed very nice but I don't see the logic in it.
 >
 > If I want to upgrade I need to go on all my projects and change thousands of
 > lines.
 >
 > And that's not all :(
 > I have other applications like phprojekt that was not developed by me and
 > became useless now as I cant insert.
 >
 > Was this step so necessary ?

Дата:
The change was made to tighten up the code to catch errors sooner.
There isn't much logic to making '' be 0, and no one could make a case
for keeping such a mapping.

Lee Kindness wrote:
> Was it necessary? No idea, you're welcome to search through the
> pgsql-hackers archives to determine the reasoning behind the change. I
> believe the change was made by Bruce Momjian (going by the release
> notes). I only remember reading the discussion in passing.
>
> This is also one of the reasons for beta releases - to allow people to
> test against the new version and pick up these sort of things. Either
> this gives them/you time to make changes, or to lobby to get the old
> behaviour back.
>
> If I were in your situation i'd probably hack back the old behaviour
> to 7.3, compile and run that while changes were made. Or stick with
> 7.2.x until changes were made to your applications, have you got a
> 'big carrot' for going with 7.3?
>
> Lee.
>
> Ben-Nes Michael writes:
>  > That's indeed very nice but I don't see the logic in it.
>  >
>  > If I want to upgrade I need to go on all my projects and change thousands of
>  > lines.
>  >
>  > And that's not all :(
>  > I have other applications like phprojekt that was not developed by me and
>  > became useless now as I cant insert.
>  >
>  > Was this step so necessary ?
>  >

Дата:
Then Why not set it to NULL

Seems logic as there is nothing between ''

What is the solution of other dbs ( oracle, db2 .. ) to:
insert into table (num) value (''); ?

Who knows how many application will suffer becouse of this.

> The change was made to tighten up the code to catch errors sooner.
> There isn't much logic to making '' be 0, and no one could make a case
> for keeping such a mapping.

-

> Lee Kindness wrote:
> > Was it necessary? No idea, you're welcome to search through the
> > pgsql-hackers archives to determine the reasoning behind the change. I
> > believe the change was made by Bruce Momjian (going by the release
> > notes). I only remember reading the discussion in passing.
> >
> > This is also one of the reasons for beta releases - to allow people to
> > test against the new version and pick up these sort of things. Either
> > this gives them/you time to make changes, or to lobby to get the old
> > behaviour back.
> >
> > If I were in your situation i'd probably hack back the old behaviour
> > to 7.3, compile and run that while changes were made. Or stick with
> > 7.2.x until changes were made to your applications, have you got a
> > 'big carrot' for going with 7.3?
> >
> > Lee.
> >
> > Ben-Nes Michael writes:
> >  > That's indeed very nice but I don't see the logic in it.
> >  >
> >  > If I want to upgrade I need to go on all my projects and change
thousands of
> >  > lines.
> >  >
> >  > And that's not all :(
> >  > I have other applications like phprojekt that was not developed by me
and
> >  > became useless now as I cant insert.
> >  >
> >  > Was this step so necessary ?
> >  >

Дата:
Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
> Then Why not set it to NULL

Well, it is not NULL, though, it is ''.  They are not the same in
strings (though for some dbms's they are), so I don't see why we would
do that for numerics.

> Seems logic as there is nothing between ''
>
> What is the solution of other dbs ( oracle, db2 .. ) to:
> insert into table (num) value (''); ?

I assume they would fail too.

> Who knows how many application will suffer becouse of this.

Yours is the first, or perhaps second to bring up this issue.
I am sure it is a pain, but it does tighten up some cases where we were
silently mapping '' to 0, and we don't exactly have a flood of problem
reports.

Re: 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
Lee Kindness
Дата:
I don't think many will be caught-out, since it's an overwhelmingly
daft thing to do anyway!

If you've got a numeric type column then assign numeric values to, not
strings. Or explicitly convert.

I'm sure all occurrences of this "in the wild" are due to sloppy
SQL...

For the record:

 lkind@coulin:~% sql -uingres iidbdb
 INGRES TERMINAL MONITOR Copyright (c) 1981, 1997 Computer Associates Intl, Inc.
 OpenIngres SPARC SOLARIS Version OI 2.0/9712 (su4.us5/00) login
 Tue Dec  3 16:17:27 2002

 continue
 * create table test(f1 int);\g
 Executing . . .

 continue
 * insert into test(f1) values('');\g
 Executing . . .

 E_US0B61 line 1, You cannot assign  a value of type 'varchar' to a column
     of type 'integer'. Explicitly convert the value to the required type.
     (Tue Dec  3 16:18:22 2002)
 continue

 * select int4('');\g
 Executing . . .
  col1
  0
 (1 row)
 continue

Lee.

Ben-Nes Michael writes:
 > Then Why not set it to NULL
 >
 > Seems logic as there is nothing between ''
 >
 > What is the solution of other dbs ( oracle, db2 .. ) to:
 > insert into table (num) value (''); ?
 >
 > Who knows how many application will suffer becouse of this.

Re: [HACKERS] 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
Larry Rosenman

--On Tuesday, December 03, 2002 11:21:04 -0500 Bruce Momjian
<pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
>> Then Why not set it to NULL
>
> Well, it is not NULL, though, it is ''.  They are not the same in
> strings (though for some dbms's they are), so I don't see why we would
> do that for numerics.
>
>> Seems logic as there is nothing between ''
>>
>> What is the solution of other dbs ( oracle, db2 .. ) to:
>> insert into table (num) value (''); ?
>
> I assume they would fail too.
>
>> Who knows how many application will suffer becouse of this.
>
> Yours is the first, or perhaps second to bring up this issue.
> I am sure it is a pain, but it does tighten up some cases where we were
> silently mapping '' to 0, and we don't exactly have a flood of problem
> reports.
He's at least the 2nd.  I have one, that I've complained to the
PHPGroupware folks (which
BREAKS severely with this change).

LER

>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
> 19073

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
Mike Mascari
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
>
>>Then Why not set it to NULL
>
> Well, it is not NULL, though, it is ''.  They are not the same in
> strings (though for some dbms's they are), so I don't see why we would
> do that for numerics.
>
>>Seems logic as there is nothing between ''
>>
>>What is the solution of other dbs ( oracle, db2 .. ) to:
>>insert into table (num) value (''); ?
>
> I assume they would fail too.

Oracle doesn't fail because it converts an empty string into
NULL. So the insert succeeds if the column lacked a NOT NULL
constraint. But Oracle's treatment of empty strings as NULL *is
insane*. Not sure about DB2...

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com

Re: [HACKERS] 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

Дата:
If we had received more complaints about the change during beta, we
would have added a mention that the change would be in 7.4.  As we got
few complaints, the change went into 7.3, and it is mentioned in the
porting section of the release notes (last item):

     * An empty string ('') is no longer allowed as the input into an
       integer field. Formerly, it was silently interpreted as 0.

Larry Rosenman wrote:

> --On Tuesday, December 03, 2002 11:21:04 -0500 Bruce Momjian
> <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
>
> > Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
> >> Then Why not set it to NULL
> >
> > Well, it is not NULL, though, it is ''.  They are not the same in
> > strings (though for some dbms's they are), so I don't see why we would
> > do that for numerics.
> >
> >> Seems logic as there is nothing between ''
> >>
> >> What is the solution of other dbs ( oracle, db2 .. ) to:
> >> insert into table (num) value (''); ?
> >
> > I assume they would fail too.
> >
> >> Who knows how many application will suffer becouse of this.
> >
> > Yours is the first, or perhaps second to bring up this issue.
> > I am sure it is a pain, but it does tighten up some cases where we were
> > silently mapping '' to 0, and we don't exactly have a flood of problem
> > reports.
> He's at least the 2nd.  I have one, that I've complained to the
> PHPGroupware folks (which
> BREAKS severely with this change).
>
> LER
>

> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 359-1001
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
> > 19073

> Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
> Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
> US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: [HACKERS] 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
"Ben-Nes Michael"
Дата:
Well I already fixed all my application, it was quiet easy though more code
was entered :(

like:

if ( !is_numeric($var) )
    $var = 0;

I hope the other projects will fix compliance fast.

maybe this feature should be enabled when compiling ?

broadcast)---------------------------
> > > TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> > >

> > --
> > Larry Rosenman                     http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
> > Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
> > US Mail: 1905 Steamboat Springs Drive, Garland, TX 75044-6749

>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
19073

Re: 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
SZUCS Gábor
Дата:
I don't have 7.3 installed, just wondering...

What do the following do in PostgreSQL 7.3?

SELECT int4('');
SELECT CAST('' AS int4);

G.
--
while (!asleep()) sheep++;

> Well I already fixed all my application, it was quiet easy though more
code
> was entered :(
>
> like:
>
> if ( !is_numeric($var) )
>     $var = 0;
>
> I hope the other projects will fix compliance fast.
>
> maybe this feature should be enabled when compiling ?

Re: 7.3 -> pg_atoi: zero-length string

От
Lee Kindness
Дата:
Same as in the INSERT case:

 iidbdb=# SELECT version();
                           version
  PostgreSQL 7.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
 (1 row)

 iidbdb=# SELECT int4('');
 ERROR:  pg_atoi: zero-length string
 iidbdb=# SELECT CAST('' AS int4);