Обсуждение: Ridicolus Postgresql review

Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
"Andrea Aime"
Дата:
If you want to get angry, take a look at:

http://www.iemagazine.com/010918/414feat3_1.shtml

You will read a PostgreSQL review that has been made by a man
that didn't even read the documentation (and surely didn't tried
it...). I don't want to say that PostgreSQL is the best DB ever,
but take a look at this:

" Complex SQL, in the form of subqueries and correlated queries,
  are largely unsupported" (????)
" However, unlike most commercial databases, users do not have
  the ability to create their own stored procedures" (what?)

... and so on... have fun.

Best regards
Andrea Aime

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
Gunnar Rønning
Дата:
* "Andrea Aime" <aaime@comune.modena.it> wrote:

| If you want to get angry, take a look at:

| " However, unlike most commercial databases, users do not have
|   the ability to create their own stored procedures" (what?)

I can't find anything in the documentation in PostgreSQL on how to make
a stored procedure return a result set. AFAIK it cannot and then it is not
really fair to claim that pgsql has stored procedures.

Some other goodies from the article :

"PostgreSQL provides support for queries and data manipulation
statements that span multiple database instances."

"Both MySQL and PostgreSQL are multithreaded servers"

But I agree, this author is a joke.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Gunnar Rønning writes:

> I can't find anything in the documentation in PostgreSQL on how to make
> a stored procedure return a result set. AFAIK it cannot and then it is not
> really fair to claim that pgsql has stored procedures.

There seems to be a rather narrow view of what a stored procedure is.  A
procedure is just a sequence of statements collected under a name,
possibly parametrized.  "Stored" simply means that it's stored in the
server.  PostgreSQL supports both of these things just fine.  A whole
'nother thing is the ability to return result sets from functions.

OK, other vendors may call the latter for "stored procedures", but that is
terminological nonsense.  And going out there writing an article claiming
that in PostgreSQL "users do not have the ability to create their own
stored procedures", without further qualification, is confusing at best.

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
Gunnar Rønning
Дата:
* Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

| server.  PostgreSQL supports both of these things just fine.  A whole
| 'nother thing is the ability to return result sets from functions.
|
| OK, other vendors may call the latter for "stored procedures", but that is
| terminological nonsense.  And going out there writing an article claiming
| that in PostgreSQL "users do not have the ability to create their own
| stored procedures", without further qualification, is confusing at best.

That's not nonsense at all, you can't just go around and redefine the
language used in the database world at your own whims.

Everybody I know employed in the database arena thinks of a stored procedure
as something that may return result sets. In PostgreSQL it cannot and
does therefore not fit the term stored procedure.

What is confusing is the PostgreSQL use of the term "stored
procedure". To me it sounds like bad marketing, something we really
shouldn't need in the open source world.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
"Mitch Vincent"
Дата:
> That's not nonsense at all, you can't just go around and redefine the
> language used in the database world at your own whims.

"Stored Procedure".. Hmm, that seems to me that the definition of that would
be "a procedure that's stored somewhere". When talking about stored
procedures and databases I would assume that the stored procedure would be
some database procedure (anything you can do with or in a database could be
seen as a procedure, IMHO), that's stored in the said database...

"Stored Procedure" is a very ambiguous term and probably needs to be treated
as such.. Unless there is a written definition somewhere that outlines
exactly how a stored procedure has to return things then I think PG's stored
procedures have the right to carry the name...

> Everybody I know employed in the database arena thinks of a stored
procedure
> as something that may return result sets. In PostgreSQL it cannot and
> does therefore not fit the term stored procedure.

What do they base that on though? The inability to return a record set from
a PG stored procedure is a limitation, no doubt, but not cause to say that
PG doesn't support stored procedures..

> What is confusing is the PostgreSQL use of the term "stored
> procedure". To me it sounds like bad marketing, something we really
> shouldn't need in the open source world.

    I think PG is using the term as well as anyone could use such an
ambiguous term.. I think it's fair to list the limitations of PG stored
procedures when discussing feature sets but I don't think it's fair to say
that PG doesn't have stored procedures as clearly it does!

-Mitch

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
Alex Pilosov
Дата:
On 11 Sep 2001, Gunnar [iso-8859-1] R�nning wrote:

> * Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> | server.  PostgreSQL supports both of these things just fine.  A whole
> | 'nother thing is the ability to return result sets from functions.
> |
> | OK, other vendors may call the latter for "stored procedures", but that is
> | terminological nonsense.  And going out there writing an article claiming
> | that in PostgreSQL "users do not have the ability to create their own
> | stored procedures", without further qualification, is confusing at best.
>

> That's not nonsense at all, you can't just go around and redefine the
> language used in the database world at your own whims.
>
> Everybody I know employed in the database arena thinks of a stored procedure
> as something that may return result sets. In PostgreSQL it cannot and
> does therefore not fit the term stored procedure.
Its a limitation, which is currently being worked on. Everywhere _I_ work,
stored procedure is just that, a function stored inside the server that
does some useful work.

> What is confusing is the PostgreSQL use of the term "stored
> procedure". To me it sounds like bad marketing, something we really
> shouldn't need in the open source world.

a) You CAN return result sets already (sort of) by returning a cursor,
then doing 'fetch all from cursor'. Its not quite standard, but its
possible.

b) Soon enough you'll be able to do 'select * from func(args)', half of
the code is already written and being committed.  Its a question whether I
will be able to finish it and get it in 7.2, but at any case, soon this
minor limitation will be removed.

-ale

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
Carlos Felipe Zirbes
Дата:
As far as I know even Oracle Stored Procedures cannot return result sets,
unless you do some hack using packages...
MSSQL Server can return resultsets, but in a really strange way, I would
say.

Carlos Felipe Zirbes
DBServer Assessoria em Sistemas de Informação
E-mail: carlosz@dbserver.com.br
Fone: (51) 3342-8055
Fax: (51) 3342-4838

> That's not nonsense at all, you can't just go around and redefine the
> language used in the database world at your own whims.

"Stored Procedure".. Hmm, that seems to me that the definition of that would
be "a procedure that's stored somewhere". When talking about stored
procedures and databases I would assume that the stored procedure would be
some database procedure (anything you can do with or in a database could be
seen as a procedure, IMHO), that's stored in the said database...

"Stored Procedure" is a very ambiguous term and probably needs to be treated
as such.. Unless there is a written definition somewhere that outlines
exactly how a stored procedure has to return things then I think PG's stored
procedures have the right to carry the name...

> Everybody I know employed in the database arena thinks of a stored
procedure
> as something that may return result sets. In PostgreSQL it cannot and
> does therefore not fit the term stored procedure.

What do they base that on though? The inability to return a record set from
a PG stored procedure is a limitation, no doubt, but not cause to say that
PG doesn't support stored procedures..

> What is confusing is the PostgreSQL use of the term "stored
> procedure". To me it sounds like bad marketing, something we really
> shouldn't need in the open source world.

    I think PG is using the term as well as anyone could use such an
ambiguous term.. I think it's fair to list the limitations of PG stored
procedures when discussing feature sets but I don't think it's fair to say
that PG doesn't have stored procedures as clearly it does!

-Mitch

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
Gunnar Rønning
Дата:
* Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com> wrote:

| b) Soon enough you'll be able to do 'select * from func(args)', half of
| the code is already written and being committed.  Its a question whether I
| will be able to finish it and get it in 7.2, but at any case, soon this
| minor limitation will be removed.

Cool ! I don't agree it is minor though, as I've encountered organizations
using Oracle that has ditched PostgreSQL because of this particular
limitation.

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar@polygnosis.com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
Shaun Thomas
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Mitch Vincent wrote:

>     I think PG is using the term as well as anyone could use such an
> ambiguous term.. I think it's fair to list the limitations of PG
> stored procedures when discussing feature sets but I don't think it's
> fair to say that PG doesn't have stored procedures as clearly it does!

Well, the author of the article was an idiot for many reasons.  Mainly
because he talked about Mysql and Postgres most of the time without
differentiating between them, and sometimes mixing up facts between the
databases when he *did*.  In which case, the article *did* mention that
perl, and other languages are available, but not to what database
(clearly) and not to what extent; while at the same time saying neither
database supports stored procedures.

I blame the author.

But as far as the comments on this list, the main differentiation
between stored procedures and functions (as commonly accepted in the
database world) was that stored procedures can return result sets and
can be associated in packages, functions do not have this distinction.

That said, postgres has functions, not stored procedures.  Personally,
I wish postgres *did* have stored procedures... I like them far better.

--
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Shaun M. Thomas                INN Database Programmer              |

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
"Mitch Vincent"
Дата:
It seems that the argument is over what a "stored procedure" is.... So can
anyone answer that with something to back it up? Opinions are great and all
but I think something more substantial than the "just 'cause" reason is
needed here :-)

Thanks!

-Mitch

> I blame the author.
>
> But as far as the comments on this list, the main differentiation
> between stored procedures and functions (as commonly accepted in the
> database world) was that stored procedures can return result sets and
> can be associated in packages, functions do not have this distinction.
>
> That said, postgres has functions, not stored procedures.  Personally,
> I wish postgres *did* have stored procedures... I like them far better.
>
> --
> +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
> | Shaun M. Thomas                INN Database Programmer              |
> | Phone: (309) 743-0812          Fax  : (309) 743-0830                |
> | Email: sthomas@townnews.com    AIM  : trifthen                      |
> | Web  : hamster.lee.net                                              |
> |     "Most of our lives are about proving something, either to       |
> |      ourselves or to someone else."                                 |
> |                                           -- Anonymous              |

Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От
A_Schnabel@t-online.de (Andre Schnabel)
Дата: