Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Ridicolus Postgresql review
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Gunnar Rønning writes:

> I can't find anything in the documentation in PostgreSQL on how to make
> a stored procedure return a result set. AFAIK it cannot and then it is not
> really fair to claim that pgsql has stored procedures.

There seems to be a rather narrow view of what a stored procedure is.  A
procedure is just a sequence of statements collected under a name,
possibly parametrized.  "Stored" simply means that it's stored in the
server.  PostgreSQL supports both of these things just fine.  A whole
'nother thing is the ability to return result sets from functions.

OK, other vendors may call the latter for "stored procedures", but that is
terminological nonsense.  And going out there writing an article claiming
that in PostgreSQL "users do not have the ability to create their own
stored procedures", without further qualification, is confusing at best.