Обсуждение: Shared memory failure?

Shared memory failure?

От
"Justin S."
Дата:
First off, I'd just like to thank everyone for their help with my last
problem. It worked, but now it gives me another error:

IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Permission denied) key=5432010, size=144,
permission=700
This type of error is usually caused by an improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
IpcMemoryAttach: shmat failed (Permission denied) id=2
FATAL 1:  AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment

I looked through the troubleshooting guide, but it wasn't very helpful.
Anyone know how to get around this? Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Justin Stayton
CometFly Media, LLC.
jstayton@cometfly.com

Re: Shared memory failure?

От
"Steve Wolfe"
Дата:
> First off, I'd just like to thank everyone for their help with my last
> problem. It worked, but now it gives me another error:
>
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Permission denied) key=5432010, size=144,
> permission=700
> This type of error is usually caused by an improper
> shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
> For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
> FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
> web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
> IpcMemoryAttach: shmat failed (Permission denied) id=2
> FATAL 1:  AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment
>
> I looked through the troubleshooting guide, but it wasn't very helpful.
> Anyone know how to get around this? Thanks again.

  It's OS-dependant.  What OS are you running, and if it's Linux, which
kernel?

steve

RE: Shared memory failure?

От
"Justin S."
Дата:
Cobalt RaQ4i with version 6 of their operating system.

Sincerely,

Justin Stayton
CometFly Media, LLC.
jstayton@cometfly.com

> First off, I'd just like to thank everyone for their help with my last
> problem. It worked, but now it gives me another error:
>
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Permission denied) key=5432010, size=144,
> permission=700
> This type of error is usually caused by an improper
> shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
> For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
> FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
> web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
> IpcMemoryAttach: shmat failed (Permission denied) id=2
> FATAL 1:  AttachSLockMemory: could not attach segment
>
> I looked through the troubleshooting guide, but it wasn't very helpful.
> Anyone know how to get around this? Thanks again.

  It's OS-dependant.  What OS are you running, and if it's Linux, which
kernel?

steve

Re: Shared memory failure?

Дата:
"Justin S." <cometfly@cometfly.com> writes:
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Permission denied) key=5432010, size=144,
> permission=700

Apparently you have an existing shm segment belonging to a different
userid.  Did you previously start the postmaster under a different user?
If so you'll need to get rid of the old segment (using ipcrm under the
old userid).

7.1 handles this stuff a little more gracefully, btw ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: Shared memory failure?

Дата:
"Justin S." <cometfly@cometfly.com> writes:
> Cobalt RaQ4i with version 6 of their operating system.

Oh.  I think Cobalt has a Postgres (6.5.something?) installed as part of
the OS.  You'll need to pick a different port number than 5432 to avoid
conflicting with the system's server.

BTW, I've heard that people tried to replace the built-in Postgres with
newer releases and had troubles, so I don't recommend trying that unless
you're ready to do some debugging.

            regards, tom lane

RE: Shared memory failure?

От
"Justin S."
Дата:
Thanks Tom. Yeah, I heard that an older version PostgreSQL was used. So if I
just use a different port number, and not try replacing the version that
comes with the OS, everything should work fine? How do I start PostgreSQL on
a different port (and which would you recommend)? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Justin Stayton
CometFly Media, LLC.
jstayton@cometfly.com

> Cobalt RaQ4i with version 6 of their operating system.

Oh.  I think Cobalt has a Postgres (6.5.something?) installed as part of
the OS.  You'll need to pick a different port number than 5432 to avoid
conflicting with the system's server.

BTW, I've heard that people tried to replace the built-in Postgres with
newer releases and had troubles, so I don't recommend trying that unless
you're ready to do some debugging.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Shared memory failure?

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
"Justin S." wrote:

> Thanks Tom. Yeah, I heard that an older version PostgreSQL was used. So if I
> just use a different port number, and not try replacing the version that
> comes with the OS, everything should work fine? How do I start PostgreSQL on
> a different port (and which would you recommend)? Thanks.

As the PostgreSQL that comes with that system is from RPM, that
version's executables are in /usr/bin -- if you want the new version's
executables to be used, put the path to them _before_ /usr/bin in your
PATH -- are you WILL be surprised at the buggy results.

If you are not actively using the old PostgreSQL, and have the RPMset
files to reinstall, you should be safe  in issuing an 'rpm -e' for each
postgresql rpm that 'rpm -qa|grep postgresql' returns.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Shared memory failure?

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
"Justin S." wrote:

> Thanks Tom. Yeah, I heard that an older version PostgreSQL was used. So if I
> just use a different port number, and not try replacing the version that
> comes with the OS, everything should work fine? How do I start PostgreSQL on
> a different port (and which would you recommend)? Thanks.

Oh, and BTW: when you rpm-e postgresql, you have to put all of the rpms
on one line, or the circular dependencies that sometimes have been
present will bite you.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio