Обсуждение: how to see column comments?

how to see column comments?

От
"Norman J. Clarke"
Дата:
Hello,

I have not been able to get psql to show column comments in version
7.1beta4. Am I doing anything wrong, or is this a bug? A transcript of my
psql session is below.

Norm

norman=# create table test_table (col1 integer);

CREATE

norman=# comment on table test_table is 'this is a table comment';

COMMENT

norman=# \dd test_table

                Object descriptions
    Name    |   Object    |       Description
------------+-------------+-------------------------
 test_table | relation(r) | this is a table comment
(1 row)

norman=# comment on column test_table.col1 is 'this is a column comment';

COMMENT

norman=# \dd test_table.col1

     Object descriptions
 Name | Object | Description
------+--------+-------------
(0 rows)

RE: how to see column comments?

От
Mike Mascari
Дата:
Try \d+ test_table.

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com

[...]

Christopher Sawtell
Дата:
You have to put the actual name (attribute) of the column, not "col1"

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 -->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me
<<--

RE: how to see column comments?

От
Mike Mascari
Дата:
Actually, I responded a bit too hastily. That looks like a bug in psql to
me. I see it in 7.0.3 as well. The query that psql is generating is
incorrect:

SELECT relhasindex, relkind, relchecks, reltriggers, relhasrules
FROM pg_class WHERE relname='table.column';

It should be querying pg_attribute.

It seems \d+ tablename is currently the only way to view column comments.

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com

[...]

How to use gethostbyname()

От
Дата:
In psql, gethostbyname() is defined as taking a text parameter and return an
inet type value or reference.

However, if you do

psql=# select gethostbyname('www.postgres.org');
 gethostbyname
---------------
 <unprintable>
(1 row)

the inet address will be unprintable.

Has anyone got any idea?

Phillip Pan
-----------

Re: How to use gethostbyname()

Дата:
<phillip@formstar.com> writes:
> In psql, gethostbyname() is defined as taking a text parameter and return an
> inet type value or reference.

Huh?  There's no such function in the standard Postgres distribution.

            regards, tom lane

Re: How to use gethostbyname()

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
phillip@formstar.com writes:

> In psql, gethostbyname() is defined as taking a text parameter and return an
> inet type value or reference.

I don't see a function gethostbyname() in my copy.  Where did you get it
from and what is its source code?

Re: How to use gethostbyname()

Дата:
> phillip@formstar.com writes:
>
> > In psql, gethostbyname() is defined as taking a text parameter and return an
> > inet type value or reference.
>
> I don't see a function gethostbyname() in my copy.  Where did you get it
> from and what is its source code?

Don't tell me it is one of those "grab from libc" tricks.

   CREATE FUNCTION getpid () returns int4 as '/lib/libc.so.6' LANGUAGE 'C';
   SELECT getpid();

Re: How to use gethostbyname()

От
Дата:
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> <phillip@formstar.com> writes:
> > In psql, gethostbyname() is defined as taking a text parameter and return an
> > inet type value or reference.
>
> Huh?  There's no such function in the standard Postgres distribution.

If you do a '\df' at prompt, you will be able to see I am not lying.

Phillip Pan