Обсуждение: php as stored procedures

php as stored procedures

От
mwaples@waples.net
Дата:
I was reading
http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=123&tid=8
and specifically
"Later in 2001 this flexibility may extend even within the MySQL
database server, with PHP scripts used as stored procedures within MySQL
database"
I won't hold my breath for that to happen in 2001 knowing MYsql's many
promised future features but it got me wondering

Since there is pl/perl is it all remotely possible that a pl/php could
be implemented ?

Re: php as stored procedures

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
mwaples@waples.net writes:

> I was reading
> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=123&tid=8
> and specifically
> "Later in 2001 this flexibility may extend even within the MySQL
> database server, with PHP scripts used as stored procedures within MySQL
> database"
> I won't hold my breath for that to happen in 2001 knowing MYsql's many
> promised future features but it got me wondering
>
> Since there is pl/perl is it all remotely possible that a pl/php could
> be implemented ?

Well, in software, you can do pretty much anything with enough
hacking, so it's definitely possible.

As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
Perl?  I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
designed to be embedded in web pages.  Given PL/Perl, do we really
need PL/PHP?

If someone (you?) think's it's important it'll probably get written.

-Doug

Re: php as stored procedures

От
"Mike Sears"
Дата:
> Well, in software, you can do pretty much anything with enough
> hacking, so it's definitely possible.
>
> As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
> Perl?  I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
> designed to be embedded in web pages.  Given PL/Perl, do we really
> need PL/PHP?
>
> If someone (you?) think's it's important it'll probably get written.
>
> -Doug

what would the over all benifit be to using stored procedures instead of
just going about php normaly?

would that not put a bit of stress on the db server as well?

Mike

Re: php as stored procedures

От
mwaples@waples.net
Дата:
Doug McNaught wrote:

> mwaples@waples.net writes:
>
> > I was reading
> > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=123&tid=8
> > and specifically
> > "Later in 2001 this flexibility may extend even within the MySQL
> > database server, with PHP scripts used as stored procedures within MySQL
> > database"
> > I won't hold my breath for that to happen in 2001 knowing MYsql's many
> > promised future features but it got me wondering
> >
> > Since there is pl/perl is it all remotely possible that a pl/php could
> > be implemented ?
>
> Well, in software, you can do pretty much anything with enough
> hacking, so it's definitely possible.
>
> As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
> Perl?  I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
> designed to be embedded in web pages.  Given PL/Perl, do we really
> need PL/PHP?
>
> If someone (you?) think's it's important it'll probably get written.
>
> -Doug

PHP probably gives not a lot over perl except for its ease of learning -
I know php reasonably well but have been too lazy to learn perl as yet.
PHP can be used for stuff like shell scripting - which I use it for
quite a bit. It's just that its got a very big and growing user
base(plus tons of crappy php scripts) to go with it. It's more of a wish
than anything and would make postgresql a bit more attractive to php
users.
I know a lot of people probably think php isn't for real programmers and
this would be a waste of time - but look at the boost MYsql got from
every man and his dog using php/mysql on web sites.

If I could help to do it I would but its way beyond my skills.

Re: php as stored procedures

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
I remember a year ago when I was looking at open source DBs, MySQL was
supposed to be getting php script support inside the database.

As for having a pl/PHP, I do not believe it is a dire need.  If it would
make someone's life easier, fine, I don't see why it couldn't be coded and
added... I just don't see it as something the steering committee
should/would use their time on.  It should be a project that is done on the
outside and submitted in.

The way I see it  (as for adding languages to postgres) is a lot like what
Microsoft does for their scripting language.  You set up basic core
functionality that supports the most users (WSH, VBScript, and Jscript) and
then have it so that other developers can make add-ons to support other
languages.  As an example, you can get a python and/or perl engine that will
run over the Windows Scripting Host. Perl script on Windows isn't something
overly important for MS to support, but the functionality was there to allow
someone that did see a need for it to be able to develop add-ons for it.
I'd say something along the lines of pl/ languages work the same way.  The
major ones are supported, if someone wants to add more, more power to them.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> > "Later in 2001 this flexibility may extend even within the MySQL
> > database server, with PHP scripts used as stored procedures within MySQL
> > database"
> > I won't hold my breath for that to happen in 2001 knowing MYsql's many
> > promised future features but it got me wondering
> >
> > Since there is pl/perl is it all remotely possible that a pl/php could
> > be implemented ?
>
> Well, in software, you can do pretty much anything with enough
> hacking, so it's definitely possible.
>
> As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
> Perl?  I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
> designed to be embedded in web pages.  Given PL/Perl, do we really
> need PL/PHP?
>
> If someone (you?) think's it's important it'll probably get written.
>
> -Doug

Re: Re: php as stored procedures

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Stored procedures put LESS strain on a database.

When you send a query to postgres via PHP, postgres runs the query.

If you have a stored procedure on postgres and have PHP use that to execute
the query, you get better performance since stored procedures are (should
be) precompiled.

In both situations the db server does the work.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> what would the over all benifit be to using stored procedures instead of
> just going about php normaly?
>
> would that not put a bit of stress on the db server as well?
>
> Mike

Re: php as stored procedures

От
"Gregory Wood"
Дата:
> what would the over all benifit be to using stored procedures instead of
> just going about php normaly?

If it were used as a stored procedure, it could be used to enforce database
integrity within the database, particularly when used with triggers.

> would that not put a bit of stress on the db server as well?

Doesn't any stored procedure?

Greg

Re: php as stored procedures

От
"Mitch Vincent"
Дата:
PHP is nice, but it's designed for a very specific purpose --  to write web
based applications quickly. Having it in a DB is a little silly if you ask
me.. Pl/pgsql is nice for smaller functions, C is great for everything else
and of course, if you're a Perl monk, use it! :-)

Pl/PHP is possible (simply because anything is possible) but I doubt you'll
see any of the core developers doing anything of the sort though.. However,
I'm sure they'd encourage anyone to write anything they wanted so go for it!

Pl/Ruby - there is an idea *grin*

-Mitch

> I remember a year ago when I was looking at open source DBs, MySQL was
> supposed to be getting php script support inside the database.
>
> As for having a pl/PHP, I do not believe it is a dire need.  If it would
> make someone's life easier, fine, I don't see why it couldn't be coded and
> added... I just don't see it as something the steering committee
> should/would use their time on.  It should be a project that is done on
the
> outside and submitted in.
>
> The way I see it  (as for adding languages to postgres) is a lot like what
> Microsoft does for their scripting language.  You set up basic core
> functionality that supports the most users (WSH, VBScript, and Jscript)
and
> then have it so that other developers can make add-ons to support other
> languages.  As an example, you can get a python and/or perl engine that
will
> run over the Windows Scripting Host. Perl script on Windows isn't
something
> overly important for MS to support, but the functionality was there to
allow
> someone that did see a need for it to be able to develop add-ons for it.
> I'd say something along the lines of pl/ languages work the same way.  The
> major ones are supported, if someone wants to add more, more power to
them.

> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

Дата:
postgres support for pl/VB? :)

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> PHP is nice, but it's designed for a very specific purpose --  to write
web
> based applications quickly. Having it in a DB is a little silly if you ask
> me.. Pl/pgsql is nice for smaller functions, C is great for everything
else
> and of course, if you're a Perl monk, use it! :-)
>
> Pl/PHP is possible (simply because anything is possible) but I doubt
you'll
> see any of the core developers doing anything of the sort though..
However,
> I'm sure they'd encourage anyone to write anything they wanted so go for
it!

> Pl/Ruby - there is an idea *grin*
>
> -Mitch

Re: php as stored procedures

От
"Dan Wilson"
Дата:
: As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
: Perl?  I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
: designed to be embedded in web pages.  Given PL/Perl, do we really
: need PL/PHP?

I wouldn't call PHP a subset of Perl at all!  I'd call them sibling
languages with different strengths.  I think Perl does certain things better
than PHP but PHP has strengths that Perl probably can't compete with.  But
for the most part, AFAIK, anything you can do in Perl, you can also do in
PHP.

-Dan

Re: php as stored procedures

От
Adam Haberlach
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:15:49PM -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:
> mwaples@waples.net writes:
>
> > I was reading
> > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article.php3?aid=123&tid=8
> > and specifically
> > "Later in 2001 this flexibility may extend even within the MySQL
> > database server, with PHP scripts used as stored procedures within MySQL
> > database"
> > I won't hold my breath for that to happen in 2001 knowing MYsql's many
> > promised future features but it got me wondering
> >
> > Since there is pl/perl is it all remotely possible that a pl/php could
> > be implemented ?
>
> Well, in software, you can do pretty much anything with enough
> hacking, so it's definitely possible.
>
> As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
> Perl?  I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
> designed to be embedded in web pages.  Given PL/Perl, do we really
> need PL/PHP?

    Given PL/pgsql do we really need PL/Perl?

    PHP is by no means a subset of perl, nor tiny.

    I've been using PHP for some stuff lately, and it reads like a cross
between C and Perl, with some other interesting behaviors.  It is very
un-perl-like, unless you write your perl like C.  I've found that it is
handy for small projects, but they tend to get pretty hairy as soon as
you put more then two engineers on them, since there is really no type
checking involved.  Perl has some of these issues as well, but with many
more options for "creative syntax."  I've not used PL/Perl, but I would
expect that PL/PHP would be no more or less useful.

    I've had a few encounters with the internals of Zend, the interpreter
engine upon which PHP is based, and it seems pretty well done.  If anything,
it might be interesting to adopt some of the ideas of PHP and create our
own language or sub-PHP.  I am, however, in no way volunteering for such
a project.

--
Adam Haberlach            |A cat spends her life conflicted between a
adam@newsnipple.com       |deep, passionate, and profound desire for

Re: Re: php as stored procedures

От
GH
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 02:58:23PM -0500, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> postgres support for pl/VB? :)

Well, the most important, of course, would be.... pl/COBOL!!!

gh

> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

Re: php as stored procedures

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Dan Wilson wrote:

> I wouldn't call PHP a subset of Perl at all!  I'd call them sibling
> languages with different strengths.  I think Perl does certain things better
> than PHP but PHP has strengths that Perl probably can't compete with.  But
> for the most part, AFAIK, anything you can do in Perl, you can also do in
> PHP.

Err... I would say it's more the other way around... anything you can do
in PHP you can do in Perl.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Learn to pause -- or nothing worthwhile can catch up to you.

Re: php as stored procedures

От
"Denis A. Doroshenko"
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 12:15:49PM -0500, Doug McNaught wrote:

> As for whether it will be done, well, what does PHP give you over
> Perl?  I know Perl well and PHP AFAICS is a tiny subset of Perl
> designed to be embedded in web pages.  Given PL/Perl, do we really
> need PL/PHP?

PHP is a tiny subset of Perl? Did you use PHP? Dunno, personally i think
PHP's syntax (being very similar to C's) is more clear than Perl's (which
is full of "features" smelling like hacks).

> If someone (you?) think's it's important it'll probably get written.

I would appreciate if it would get written, but unfortunatelly i amn't
seem to be the one who is going to do the actual work...

--
Denis A. Doroshenko  [GPRS/IN/WAP, VAS group engineer] .-.        _|_  |
[Omnitel Ltd., T.Sevcenkos st. 25, Vilnius, Lithuania] | | _ _  _ .| _ |

Re: php as stored procedures

От
Adam Haberlach
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 07:34:51PM -0500, Brett W. McCoy wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Dan Wilson wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't call PHP a subset of Perl at all!  I'd call them sibling
> > languages with different strengths.  I think Perl does certain things better
> > than PHP but PHP has strengths that Perl probably can't compete with.  But
> > for the most part, AFAIK, anything you can do in Perl, you can also do in
> > PHP.
>
> Err... I would say it's more the other way around... anything you can do
> in PHP you can do in Perl.

    Well, they are both turing complete and extensible enough to be able
to execute arbitrary functions via plug-ins.  I studied computer engineering
and not computer science, but I'm pretty sure this makes them functionally
equivalent, so you are both right.