Обсуждение: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
Thomas.Favier@accelance.fr
Дата:
Hello,

   For one of our customer, we are running a PostgreSQL database on a
dynamic PHP-driven site. This site has a minimum of 40 visitors at a
time and must be responsive 24h a day.

   One of the table has 500.000 rows and is very frequently accessed
(it is the table registering basic users infos). We have no performance
problem dispite the large amount of updates done on this table.

   The problem is with VACUUMing this table. It takes 2 long minutes
everyday. Two minutes during wich no request can be done because of the
lock on the table... (nearly every request is involving this large
table). Our customer really dislike this fact and is planning to
replace PostgreSQL with Oracle.
   2 minutes is seen by our customer as sufficent for his customer to
get away from his site.

   Questions :

- Is 2 minutes a standard time for vacuuming a 500.000 rows table ?

- Can it be reduced ?

- In a far future, what are the problems we can run into not vacuuming
that table ? We have already seen that after a month, some transactions
involving where id >= some_value take forever, so we supressed them.

Below are details on the table :

erp-# \d visiteurs
                  Table "visiteurs"
   Attribute   |     Type     |       Modifier
---------------+--------------+----------------------
 id            | integer      | not null
 login         | varchar(127) | not null
 password      | varchar(10)  | not null
 name          | varchar(10)  | not null
 datecrea      | timestamp    | not null
 payszoneid    | varchar(127) | not null
 ptzoneid      | varchar(127) | not null
 dialertitle   | varchar(15)  |
 referer       | varchar(255) |
 exported      | varchar(2)   | not null default 'N'
 earncentmin   | float8       |
 opearncentmin | float8       |
 ret           | float8       |
 paymentid     | integer      |
 entiteid      | varchar(127) | not null
 etat          | varchar(2)   | default 'E'
 devise        | smallint     |
 entitelogin   | varchar(20)  |
Indices: visiterus_etat,
         visiteurs_exported,
         visiteurs_id_btree,
         visiteurs_login

erp=# select relname,relpages,reltuples from pg_class where
relname='visiteurs';
  relname  | relpages | reltuples
-----------+----------+-----------
 visiteurs |    14549 |    584489
(1 row)

Thank you.

Thomas FAVIER
thomas.favier@accelance.fr
ACCELANCE - www.accelance.fr
97, rue Racine - 69100 Villeurbanne
Tel: +33 (0)4 37 43 12 22 / Fax: +33 (0)4 37 43 12 20

Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
"Gordan Bobic"
Дата:
>    For one of our customer, we are running a PostgreSQL database on a
> dynamic PHP-driven site. This site has a minimum of 40 visitors at a
> time and must be responsive 24h a day.

And from the bandwidth and hit logs, they cannot determine a time of day
when there are hardly any hits? Possible, but it might be worth a
double-check.

>    The problem is with VACUUMing this table. It takes 2 long minutes
> everyday. Two minutes during wich no request can be done because of the
> lock on the table... (nearly every request is involving this large
> table). Our customer really dislike this fact and is planning to
> replace PostgreSQL with Oracle.

If they are sufficiently desperate over 2 minutes per day, which is, BTW,
less than 0.14% of the time, to want to replace it with Oracle at the full
cost of it (and last time I checked, Oracle in full server setup costs were
in 5 figures, just for the software), then I'd say let them. It's their
money they are throwing away. I am assuming here that they have checked and
confirmed that Oracle would no suffer a similar problem?

>    2 minutes is seen by our customer as sufficent for his customer to
> get away from his site.

That would be the 0.14%, would it? What sort of service are they running on
it?

> - Is 2 minutes a standard time for vacuuming a 500.000 rows table ?

I'd say that is pretty good. I have a 30M row table with 30K-100K
inserts/updates per day (not including selects here), and I'm quite happy
if I can get it to vacuum in less than 15 minutes on a P2/400.

> - Can it be reduced ?

I guess. If you run your database on am ultra-fast RAID stripe, put more
memory and a faster processor in the server, you could probably reduce it.

Have you considered running two servers? If you set up two replicated
servers, then you could run everything off one server. At a convenient time
of day, when there's minimum load, you could swap vacuum the backup one,
wait for the queued replicated queries to be executed, and then fail them
over. Then, you can vacuum the primary server, and make it wait as the
fail-over server until next time it's time to vacuum the database. The
fail-over should take a matter of seconds (fractions of seconds?),
depending on how you do it. A second server is likely to cost them less
than a full Oracle licence...

Incidentally, how do they handle backups? I am not sure how well a backup
of the database will work out with it still running, and records being
inserted during the backup. Running two servers will also get you around
this problem, in the same way, because you can shut down a database while
you back it up without loosing any uptime or data.

> - In a far future, what are the problems we can run into not vacuuming
> that table ? We have already seen that after a month, some transactions
> involving where id >= some_value take forever, so we supressed them.

Performance on inserts and updates will degrade, especially if there are
lots of deletes as well. Basically, the tables will get fragmented, because
deletes, AFAIK, do lazy deletion, so the tables aren't cleaned out until
you vacuum them. This also tends to mess up the index timings because there
is a lot of dead records in them.

Eventually, it will grind to a halt.

Depending on what your performance and requirements are, you could do a
vacuum once per week, perhaps?

Regards.

Gordon

Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

Дата:
Thomas.Favier@accelance.fr writes:
> - Is 2 minutes a standard time for vacuuming a 500.000 rows table ?
> - Can it be reduced ?
> - In a far future, what are the problems we can run into not vacuuming
> that table ? We have already seen that after a month, some transactions
> involving where id >= some_value take forever, so we supressed them.

If it takes a month before query performance gets bad, then perhaps you
could vacuum the table only once a month.  However, that vacuum would
probably take longer than two minutes, so it's a tradeoff...

We have plans for 7.2 to reduce the need for periodic vacuums, but that
won't help you much now.

There are patches available for a "lazy vacuum" process on 7.0.3,
which can be a win if vacuum only needs to get rid of a few rows.
But they're not very thoroughly tested IMHO.  See
http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/

            regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
Sanjay Arora
Дата:
Tom,

Shouldn't it be possible to build vacuum as an ongoing internal PG process,
instead of a seperate operation? How does Oracle byepass this? Must be some
way that can be implemented.

Any pointers to further reading to brush up my theory in this regard please?

IAC, regarding the actual inquiry, wouldn't be a replicated database on a
second server be more cheaper than Oracle, if the party is satisfied with
PG performance? I browsed some PG commercial organization site that told
about a Replication Server being available for PG. I am about to look into
that next month. Is it any good like PG? Will provide failover too..rather
than using Oracle.

With best regards.
Sanjay.

At 05:53 PM 1/23/01 , Tom Lane wrote:
>Thomas.Favier@accelance.fr writes:
>> - Is 2 minutes a standard time for vacuuming a 500.000 rows table ?
>> - Can it be reduced ?
>> - In a far future, what are the problems we can run into not vacuuming
>> that table ? We have already seen that after a month, some transactions
>> involving where id >= some_value take forever, so we supressed them.
>
>If it takes a month before query performance gets bad, then perhaps you
>could vacuum the table only once a month.  However, that vacuum would
>probably take longer than two minutes, so it's a tradeoff...
>
>We have plans for 7.2 to reduce the need for periodic vacuums, but that
>won't help you much now.
>
>There are patches available for a "lazy vacuum" process on 7.0.3,
>which can be a win if vacuum only needs to get rid of a few rows.
>But they're not very thoroughly tested IMHO.  See
>http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/
>
>            regards, tom lane

Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
> With best regards.
> Sanjay.
>
> At 05:53 PM 1/23/01 , Tom Lane wrote:
> >Thomas.Favier@accelance.fr writes:
> >> - Is 2 minutes a standard time for vacuuming a 500.000 rows table ?
> >> - Can it be reduced ?
> >> - In a far future, what are the problems we can run into not vacuuming
> >> that table ? We have already seen that after a month, some transactions
> >> involving where id >= some_value take forever, so we supressed them.
> >
> >If it takes a month before query performance gets bad, then perhaps you
> >could vacuum the table only once a month.  However, that vacuum would
> >probably take longer than two minutes, so it's a tradeoff...
> >
> >We have plans for 7.2 to reduce the need for periodic vacuums, but that
> >won't help you much now.
> >
> >There are patches available for a "lazy vacuum" process on 7.0.3,
> >which can be a win if vacuum only needs to get rid of a few rows.
> >But they're not very thoroughly tested IMHO.  See
> >http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/

We've been running them since I released them with only a single
problem that has never resurfaced.  I would say they are pretty stable.

It's not "just a few rows" by the way, it's several thousand and up to
probably 50,000 rows we get about a 20-40x speedup in the time taken
to vacuum (10-15 minutes to 13-40 seconds).  This is on tables that
are over 300megabytes and indecies that are even larger (multiple
column indicies).

It's a shame this still hasn't made it into 7.1 :(

* Sanjay Arora <sk@pobox.com> [010123 12:10] wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to build vacuum as an ongoing internal PG process,
> instead of a seperate operation? How does Oracle byepass this? Must be some
> way that can be implemented.
>
> Any pointers to further reading to brush up my theory in this regard please?

Follow the long trail of my messages on the lists about it, I'd
say about 1/3 of my posts have to do with the problems we were
facing before contracting Vadim to do the patches available at:

  http://people.freebsd.org/~alfred/vacfix/

> IAC, regarding the actual inquiry, wouldn't be a replicated database on a
> second server be more cheaper than Oracle, if the party is satisfied with
> PG performance? I browsed some PG commercial organization site that told
> about a Replication Server being available for PG. I am about to look into
> that next month. Is it any good like PG? Will provide failover too..rather
> than using Oracle.

It should, but I havne't read up on it much.

Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
"Steve Wolfe"
Дата:
> Shouldn't it be possible to build vacuum as an ongoing internal PG
process,
> instead of a seperate operation? How does Oracle byepass this? Must be
some
> way that can be implemented.

  Well, here's what it comes down to:  Do you want updates to happen
quickly, and vacuum when load is low, or do you want updates to be slow all
the time?  I suppose that there are some sites that can't find two minutes
per day when updates will block (not selects), but I imagine they're very
few.

steve

Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Steve Wolfe <steve@iboats.com> [010123 13:11] wrote:
> > Shouldn't it be possible to build vacuum as an ongoing internal PG
> process,
> > instead of a seperate operation? How does Oracle byepass this? Must be
> some
> > way that can be implemented.
>
>   Well, here's what it comes down to:  Do you want updates to happen
> quickly, and vacuum when load is low, or do you want updates to be slow all
> the time?  I suppose that there are some sites that can't find two minutes
> per day when updates will block (not selects), but I imagine they're very
> few.

There are some sites where going for more than an hour without a
VACUUM makes response times unnaceptable, and each vacuum can take
20 minutes a run.

Yes, I'm _an_ exception, but I know I'm not the only one out there.

Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
Tiger Technologies
Дата:
At 1/23/01 4:20 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>* Steve Wolfe <steve@iboats.com> [010123 13:11] wrote:
>>   Well, here's what it comes down to:  Do you want updates to happen
>> quickly, and vacuum when load is low, or do you want updates to be slow all
>> the time?  I suppose that there are some sites that can't find two minutes
>> per day when updates will block (not selects), but I imagine they're very
>> few.
>
>There are some sites where going for more than an hour without a
>VACUUM makes response times unnaceptable, and each vacuum can take
>20 minutes a run.

In addition, the suggestion that vacuum isn't a problem because it only
takes two minutes is misleading.

Sure, it's only 2 minutes out of 24 hours. However, any given visitor
isn't at my site for 24 hours. If she arrives just as I'm starting the
vacuum, and it takes her less than two minutes to give up and go
somewhere else, the site was unavailable 100% of the time as far as she's
concerned.

If your site is down two minutes a day, and you have 14,000 unique
visitors a week, each of whom requires a database update, that's 20
people a week for whom the site isn't working when they arrive.

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies

Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
Doug Semig
Дата:
I remember the days way back when America Online (that's AOL to you
youngsters) ran under GEOWORKS and had just come out for Windows 3.1.  We
used to pay for every minute we were online over a certain number of hours.
 There were different pricing packages, but I always took the one that made
the individual minutes the least expensive, and that was 6 cents per minute.

Even way back then when every minute cost AOL tons and tons and tons of
money, they would go down about once every two weeks for either three,
four, or five hours for maintenance.  I remember it quite well.  A message
would come on the screen at either 2am, 3am, or 4am (it varied from time to
time) saying that they were going down until 7am.  It was always until 7am
(that was the only thing that was predictable about every instance).

They were stupid for doing business that way.  They probably lost
customers.  Maybe even 20 a week.

But wait.  Even though they operated that way, AOL is now a formidable
media and communications powerhouse.

The lesson is that you gotta to do what you gotta to do.  Even those with
the word "Online" right in their name would go offline every so often,
regardless of their destiny to become a formidable media and communications
powerhouse.

If you have to vacuum for 2 minutes a day, then vacuum for 2 minutes a day.
 When you're a formidable media and communications powerhouse, then you can
hire someone to program PostgreSQL to do what you want it to do.  Of
course, if you're a formidable media and communications powerhouse, you'll
probably switch to Oracle and make LE richer instead of giving some poor
sap a job, but that's business, too.

Doug

At 05:13 PM 1/23/01 -0800, Tiger Technologies wrote:
>At 1/23/01 4:20 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
>>* Steve Wolfe <steve@iboats.com> [010123 13:11] wrote:
>>>   Well, here's what it comes down to:  Do you want updates to happen
>>> quickly, and vacuum when load is low, or do you want updates to be slow
all
>>> the time?  I suppose that there are some sites that can't find two minutes
>>> per day when updates will block (not selects), but I imagine they're very
>>> few.
>>
>>There are some sites where going for more than an hour without a
>>VACUUM makes response times unnaceptable, and each vacuum can take
>>20 minutes a run.
>

>In addition, the suggestion that vacuum isn't a problem because it only
>takes two minutes is misleading.
>
>Sure, it's only 2 minutes out of 24 hours. However, any given visitor
>isn't at my site for 24 hours. If she arrives just as I'm starting the
>vacuum, and it takes her less than two minutes to give up and go
>somewhere else, the site was unavailable 100% of the time as far as she's
>concerned.
>
>If your site is down two minutes a day, and you have 14,000 unique
>visitors a week, each of whom requires a database update, that's 20
>people a week for whom the site isn't working when they arrive.
>
>--
>Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies

Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Tiger Technologies wrote:
  >If your site is down two minutes a day, and you have 14,000 unique
  >visitors a week, each of whom requires a database update, that's 20
  >people a week for whom the site isn't working when they arrive.

Since vacuuming is necessary, one solution is to tell the user exactly
what is happening.  People get very fed up with unresponsive servers, but
are much more ready to accept things if they know what is happening.

Just before you start the vacuum, redirect queries to a page that
says:

  "Started database maintenance at <time>; this process normally takes
  about two minutes; time taken so far <mm:ss>.  While you are waiting,
  here are some nice photos to look at."

     "If anyone has material possessions and sees his
      brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the
      love of God be in him?"
                                    I John 3:17

Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
"Adam Lang"
Дата:
Any type of commerce or site that tracks user profiles... That's a LOT of
sites that would have a need for a enterprise level DB.

Remember, the goal is 5 nines uptime. :)

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com
> > Shouldn't it be possible to build vacuum as an ongoing internal PG
> process,
> > instead of a seperate operation? How does Oracle byepass this? Must be
> some
> > way that can be implemented.
>
>   Well, here's what it comes down to:  Do you want updates to happen
> quickly, and vacuum when load is low, or do you want updates to be slow
all
> the time?  I suppose that there are some sites that can't find two minutes
> per day when updates will block (not selects), but I imagine they're very
> few.
>
> steve

Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
"David Wall"
Дата:
>   Well, here's what it comes down to:  Do you want updates to happen
> quickly, and vacuum when load is low, or do you want updates to be slow
all
> the time?  I suppose that there are some sites that can't find two minutes
> per day when updates will block (not selects), but I imagine they're very
few.

I think the problem is that there are log and audit files that are generally
big on inserts, with periodic cleanups after backing the data up to some
offline or other storage.  These are always being updated and are only
'select'ed when researching a customer complaint, break-in, general
troubleshooting, stats reports, etc.

David

Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От
"Steve Wolfe"
Дата:
> In addition, the suggestion that vacuum isn't a problem because it only
> takes two minutes is misleading.
>
> Sure, it's only 2 minutes out of 24 hours. However, any given visitor
> isn't at my site for 24 hours. If she arrives just as I'm starting the
> vacuum, and it takes her less than two minutes to give up and go
> somewhere else, the site was unavailable 100% of the time as far as she's
> concerned.

  Well, from what I've seen, vacuum's only block updates/inserts, not
selects.  So, the reality of it will be different depending on your traffic.
If you run the kind of site where people are routinely signing up for your
services at 4 in the morning, then it's a big deal for you.

> If your site is down two minutes a day, and you have 14,000 unique
> visitors a week, each of whom requires a database update, that's 20
> people a week for whom the site isn't working when they arrive.

    Only if by some fluke you have people arriving at evenly spaced
schedules every minute of the day and night.  In reality, you'll do 5 to 10
times that many (or more) during peak periods, and then in the off-hours,
you'll have far, far fewer than that.  Sometimes 1/100th or less (again,
depending on your customers).  That's when you schedule the vacuum.

   Vacuuming isn't perfect.  It would be nice if we could not have to vacuum
at all, without sacrificing update speed.  For the mean time, I don't think
it's going to happen.  So, we schedule the vacuums when they do the least
damage, and (for us, at least), that damage is negligible.

steve