Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation

От Doug Semig
Тема Re: Re: VACUUM and 24/7 database operation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I remember the days way back when America Online (that's AOL to you
youngsters) ran under GEOWORKS and had just come out for Windows 3.1.  We
used to pay for every minute we were online over a certain number of hours.
 There were different pricing packages, but I always took the one that made
the individual minutes the least expensive, and that was 6 cents per minute.

Even way back then when every minute cost AOL tons and tons and tons of
money, they would go down about once every two weeks for either three,
four, or five hours for maintenance.  I remember it quite well.  A message
would come on the screen at either 2am, 3am, or 4am (it varied from time to
time) saying that they were going down until 7am.  It was always until 7am
(that was the only thing that was predictable about every instance).

They were stupid for doing business that way.  They probably lost
customers.  Maybe even 20 a week.

But wait.  Even though they operated that way, AOL is now a formidable
media and communications powerhouse.

The lesson is that you gotta to do what you gotta to do.  Even those with
the word "Online" right in their name would go offline every so often,
regardless of their destiny to become a formidable media and communications
powerhouse.

If you have to vacuum for 2 minutes a day, then vacuum for 2 minutes a day.
 When you're a formidable media and communications powerhouse, then you can
hire someone to program PostgreSQL to do what you want it to do.  Of
course, if you're a formidable media and communications powerhouse, you'll
probably switch to Oracle and make LE richer instead of giving some poor
sap a job, but that's business, too.

Doug