Обсуждение: Stored Procedures

Stored Procedures

От
Jeff MacDonald
Дата:
Greets,

Couple of questions,

    1: does postgres support stored procedures
    2: say a user has a microsoft sql server 7 database
    with ~120 stored procedures, and alot of data, is their
    a script or tool to convert that to a postgres database
    or does it have to be done by hand.

Jeff MacDonald
jeff@hub.org

 So long as the Universe had a beginning, we can suppose it had a
creator, but if the Universe is completly self contained , having
no boundry or edge, it would neither be created nor destroyed
 It would simply be.

Re: [GENERAL] Stored Procedures

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

>     1: does postgres support stored procedures

Yes, quite extensively, and far beyond what SQL 7 offers.  You may want
to take a look at the programmer's manual for the documentation.

>     2: say a user has a microsoft sql server 7 database
>     with ~120 stored procedures, and alot of data, is their
>     a script or tool to convert that to a postgres database
>     or does it have to be done by hand.

You can convert the data over with ODBC, but not the stored procedures.
Under SQL 7, stored procedures are essentially SQL batch files and cannot
be used as a term in an expression, whereas under PostgreSQL, you can
create true functions in PL/PgSQL (a procedural language akin to
Oracle's), or as loadable executable modules written in C, C++, Tcl, etc.,
that returns values and objects, and can be used in an expression.

I was shocked recently when we put in SQL 7 in our office (we've been
using PostgreSQL for a while now, but we needed SQL 7 to use with a
commercial retrieval system) and needed to start writing functions as I
was used to under PostgreSQL, and couldn't.  A big win for PostgreSQL!

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
There are people so addicted to exaggeration that they can't tell the
truth without lying.

Re: [GENERAL] Stored Procedures

От
"Moray McConnachie"
> On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
>
> > 1: does postgres support stored procedures
>
> Yes, quite extensively, and far beyond what SQL 7 offers.  You may
want
> to take a look at the programmer's manual for the documentation.

I thought we had rather a long debate recently about whether and if
Postgres did/should support stored procedures, and the point was that
it doesn't at the moment?

PL/PgSQL functions are not at all the same thing, although they are
obviously very useful.
Yours,
Moray

----------------
Moray.McConnachie@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk

Re: [GENERAL] Stored Procedures

От
"Gene Sokolov"
Дата:
> 1: does postgres support stored procedures

Yes, but they can't return datasets in any meaningfull way. They can return
single values only.

> 2: say a user has a microsoft sql server 7 database
> with ~120 stored procedures, and alot of data, is their
> a script or tool to convert that to a postgres database
> or does it have to be done by hand.

You have to rewrite your procedures if they return rows. IMO, this is the
major deficiency of Postgers.

Gene Sokolov.

Re: [GENERAL] Stored Procedures

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Moray McConnachie wrote:

> > Yes, quite extensively, and far beyond what SQL 7 offers.  You may
> want
> > to take a look at the programmer's manual for the documentation.
>
> I thought we had rather a long debate recently about whether and if
> Postgres did/should support stored procedures, and the point was that
> it doesn't at the moment?
>
> PL/PgSQL functions are not at all the same thing, although they are
> obviously very useful.

What's the difference between the two, then?  What does a stored procedure
do that a function doesn't?  The PostgreSQL 'CREATE FUNCTION', as it is
described in the documentation, is very similar to the not yet
standardized stored module facility in SQL.

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
Commitment, n.:
    Commitment can be illustrated by a breakfast of ham and eggs.
The chicken was involved, the pig was committed.