Re: [GENERAL] Stored Procedures

От Brett W. McCoy
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Stored Procedures
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

>     1: does postgres support stored procedures

Yes, quite extensively, and far beyond what SQL 7 offers.  You may want
to take a look at the programmer's manual for the documentation.

>     2: say a user has a microsoft sql server 7 database
>     with ~120 stored procedures, and alot of data, is their
>     a script or tool to convert that to a postgres database
>     or does it have to be done by hand.

You can convert the data over with ODBC, but not the stored procedures.
Under SQL 7, stored procedures are essentially SQL batch files and cannot
be used as a term in an expression, whereas under PostgreSQL, you can
create true functions in PL/PgSQL (a procedural language akin to
Oracle's), or as loadable executable modules written in C, C++, Tcl, etc.,
that returns values and objects, and can be used in an expression.

I was shocked recently when we put in SQL 7 in our office (we've been
using PostgreSQL for a while now, but we needed SQL 7 to use with a
commercial retrieval system) and needed to start writing functions as I
was used to under PostgreSQL, and couldn't.  A big win for PostgreSQL!

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
There are people so addicted to exaggeration that they can't tell the
truth without lying.