Re: [GENERAL] Stored Procedures

От Brett W. McCoy
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Stored Procedures
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Moray McConnachie wrote:

> > Yes, quite extensively, and far beyond what SQL 7 offers.  You may
> want
> > to take a look at the programmer's manual for the documentation.
>
> I thought we had rather a long debate recently about whether and if
> Postgres did/should support stored procedures, and the point was that
> it doesn't at the moment?
>
> PL/PgSQL functions are not at all the same thing, although they are
> obviously very useful.

What's the difference between the two, then?  What does a stored procedure
do that a function doesn't?  The PostgreSQL 'CREATE FUNCTION', as it is
described in the documentation, is very similar to the not yet
standardized stored module facility in SQL.

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
Commitment, n.:
    Commitment can be illustrated by a breakfast of ham and eggs.
The chicken was involved, the pig was committed.