Обсуждение: RE: [GENERAL] slow queries

RE: [GENERAL] slow queries

От
"Jackson, DeJuan"
Дата:
> seems that by creating a view ( with the query i mentioned before ),
> my
> queries were sped up by roughly 10 seconds... odd odd odd.

Not really so odd when you think of everything the backend has to do to
process a query.  Parsing, planning, and optimizing (not necessarily in
that order) can be very costly.  A view basically skips most of those
three steps.
        -DEJ

Is there a server log????

От
Jeremy Hansen
Дата:
Is there a server log for postgres?  Something that records errors,
or some type of debugging information.  I'm trying to debug a simple
modify in perl that's not working and it's driving me crazy because
I see no error output.

Thanks
-jeremy

Re: [GENERAL] Is there a server log????

От
"Oliver Elphick"
Дата:
Jeremy Hansen wrote:

  >Is there a server log for postgres?  Something that records errors,
  >or some type of debugging information.  I'm trying to debug a simple
  >modify in perl that's not working and it's driving me crazy because
  >I see no error output.

Debugging options can be set on the backend; look at the man page for
postgres.  Use the -o option to the postmaster to set the backend options,
remembering to enclose all the backend options in single quotes.

     "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor
      angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor
      things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor
      any other created thing, shall be able to separate us
      from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
      Lord."          Romans 8:38,39

Re: [GENERAL] Is there a server log????

От
rmcm@compsoft.com.au
Дата:
You can start postmaster with stdout/stderr directed to syslogd;

su postgres -c '/bin/sh -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -o-e 2>&1 | logger -t postgres -i
-plocal1.notice &"
Rex McMaster                            rmcm@compsoft.com.au
                                   rex@mcmaster.wattle.id.au
     PGP Public key: http://www.compsoft.com.au/~rmcm/pgp-pk

--

RE: [GENERAL] slow queries

От
Howie
Дата:
On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Jackson, DeJuan wrote:

> > seems that by creating a view ( with the query i mentioned before ),
> > my
> > queries were sped up by roughly 10 seconds... odd odd odd.
> >
> Not really so odd when you think of everything the backend has to do to
> process a query.  Parsing, planning, and optimizing (not necessarily in
> that order) can be very costly.  A view basically skips most of those
> three steps.

all thats taken out is the parsing bit.  the planning and optimizing still
must be done ( unless its done when the view is/was created ), yesno ?
the view should still hit the indexes created for the underlying tables,
right ?

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
        "Oh my god, they killed init!  YOU BASTARDS!"