Обсуждение: createdb fails

createdb fails

От
Bill Chandler
Дата:
Hi,

My first post so I hope this isn't too much of a
beginner question for this list.

Installed cygwin & postgreSQL 7.4.1 on my XP machine.
Ran ipc-daemon2, initdb, pg_ctl as per
instructions.  A few questionable log messages (see
below) but postmaster appeared to have started ok.

However, when I try to create a database with

  createdb -U "My User Name" mydb

or even:

  createdb mydb

I get the following error:

  createdb: could not connect to database template1:
  expected authentication request from server but
  received

Here is the initdb command I ran:

  initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

Here is the pg_ctl command I ran:

  pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -l /tmp/pg.log start

Got the following in log file:

LOG:  shmdt(0x1b40000) failed: Invalid argument
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2004-03-23
22:35:41 EST
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/9EAB40LOG:  redo
record is at 0/9EAB40; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown
TRUE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 541; next OID: 17142
LOG:  database system is ready

Despite the first few lines, it does say "database
system ready".  "pg_ctl ... status" says that
postmaster is up and running.

I've tried lots of different variations on .conf
files, etc.  Nothing seems to work.

Anybody have any ideas?  Getting desparate. Thanks
in advance.

Bill Chesky
billybobc1210@yahoo.com

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Re: createdb fails

От
Christof Glaser
Дата:
Hi Bill,

Am 26.03.2004 um 06:11 schrieb Bill Chandler:

> Installed cygwin & postgreSQL 7.4.1 on my XP machine.
> Ran ipc-daemon2, initdb, pg_ctl as per
> instructions.  A few questionable log messages (see
> below) but postmaster appeared to have started ok.
>
> However, when I try to create a database with
>
>   createdb -U "My User Name" mydb
>
> or even:
>
>   createdb mydb
>
> I get the following error:
>
>   createdb: could not connect to database template1:
>   expected authentication request from server but
>   received

This message looks incomplete to me somehow.

Some ideas though:

- Perhaps the pg_hba.conf settings don't allow to connect to template1?

It should contain lines like
local all  all                              trust
host  all  all  127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255  trust

- Did you try
   psql -h localhost -l  # list all databases: template0 and template1
should show up
         ^^^^^^^^^^^
         connecting using TCP/IP instead of socket?

   In postgresql.conf then there must be
   tcpip_socket = true

- Perhaps you have another copy of PostgreSQL installed?
Mixing the client of one version with the server of another gives
mostly unexpected results.

> Got the following in log file:
>
> LOG:  shmdt(0x1b40000) failed: Invalid argument

This is "normal" on cygwin, I heard (my log has it too, but PG works
well).
The other messages are even more normal, documenting ordinary server
operation.

Hope it helps a bit,

Best regards,

Christof Glaser
--
--      gl.aser   .   software engineering  .   internet service
-- Doelitzer Strasse 37  .  D-04277 Leipzig   .   fon +49-341-303 20 51

Re: createdb fails

От
Bill Chandler
Дата:
--- Christof Glaser <gcg@gl.aser.de> wrote:
> Some ideas though:
>
> - Perhaps the pg_hba.conf settings don't allow to
> connect to template1?
>
> It should contain lines like
> local all  all                              trust
> host  all  all  127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255  trust

Yes, my pg_hba.conf contains both these lines.

> - Did you try
>    psql -h localhost -l  # list all databases:
> template0 and template1
> should show up

This gives me the message:

  Could not receive server response to SSL negotiation
  packet: Resource temporarily unavailable

At this point I tried starting postmaster directly
with SSL connection enabled using the command:

  postmaster -l -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &

This failed with the log message:

  FATAL:  could not load server certificate file
  "/usr/local/pgsql/data/server.crt": No such file
  or directory

>          connecting using TCP/IP instead of socket?
>
>    In postgresql.conf then there must be
>    tcpip_socket = true

Yes, I have this line in postgresql.conf.

> - Perhaps you have another copy of PostgreSQL
> installed?
> Mixing the client of one version with the server of
> another gives
> mostly unexpected results.

Nope, this is the only version I've ever installed.

Could I have installed it wrong somehow?  I followed
the instructions here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/text/FAQ_MSWIN

The only thing I did differently (I'm pretty sure --
it's been a couple of weeks) was that when I first
attempted to run initdb I got an error about not
having an encryption package installed.  I did some
research on the web and found others solved the
problem by installing the cygwin package:

  Libs -> "crypt: Encryption / Decryption utility
  and library

Could it be a config problem on my XP box?  Is there
something I need to change in my networking
configuration?

Thanks again.

Bill

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Re: createdb fails

От
Bill Chandler
Дата:
> Ah it's SSL. Try to disable SSL in postgresql.conf,
> then it should work.

Nope.  Same results.  In fact, it looks like
ssl=false is the default anyway right?  So I've been
running w/ SSL off all along.

> If you really need SSL, then you have to create
> that missing certificate file - don't ask me how,
> I don't know.  (The file is there on my Debian Linux
> installation.)

Well, I found out at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/ssl-tcp.html

Created server.crt file as per instructions above.
Set ssl=true in postgresql.conf.  Postmaster started
successfully.  Tried to createdb.  Same message!!!

BTW, this is after uninstalling and reinstalling
Cygwin and PostgreSQL.

I feel like I must have done something wrong on
installation.  Or maybe my machine is configured
strangely.  I followed the instructions at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/text/FAQ_MSWIN

Are these instructions complete?

thanks,

Bill