Re: createdb fails

От Christof Glaser
Тема Re: createdb fails
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Hi Bill,

Am 26.03.2004 um 06:11 schrieb Bill Chandler:

> Installed cygwin & postgreSQL 7.4.1 on my XP machine.
> Ran ipc-daemon2, initdb, pg_ctl as per
> instructions.  A few questionable log messages (see
> below) but postmaster appeared to have started ok.
>
> However, when I try to create a database with
>
>   createdb -U "My User Name" mydb
>
> or even:
>
>   createdb mydb
>
> I get the following error:
>
>   createdb: could not connect to database template1:
>   expected authentication request from server but
>   received

This message looks incomplete to me somehow.

Some ideas though:

- Perhaps the pg_hba.conf settings don't allow to connect to template1?

It should contain lines like
local all  all                              trust
host  all  all  127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255  trust

- Did you try
   psql -h localhost -l  # list all databases: template0 and template1
should show up
         ^^^^^^^^^^^
         connecting using TCP/IP instead of socket?

   In postgresql.conf then there must be
   tcpip_socket = true

- Perhaps you have another copy of PostgreSQL installed?
Mixing the client of one version with the server of another gives
mostly unexpected results.

> Got the following in log file:
>
> LOG:  shmdt(0x1b40000) failed: Invalid argument

This is "normal" on cygwin, I heard (my log has it too, but PG works
well).
The other messages are even more normal, documenting ordinary server
operation.

Hope it helps a bit,

Best regards,

Christof Glaser
--
--      gl.aser   .   software engineering  .   internet service
-- Doelitzer Strasse 37  .  D-04277 Leipzig   .   fon +49-341-303 20 51