Обсуждение: pgsql: Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.

pgsql: Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.

Since the current version is 1.1, the 1.0 file isn't really needed.  We do
need the 1.0--1.1 upgrade file, so people on 1.0 can upgrade.

Per recent discussion on pgsql-hackers.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d4fb2f99ec86edc5c7ad11a9c7adc0d977cbb4d7

Modified Files
--------------
contrib/hstore/Makefile |    3 +--

Re: pgsql: Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.

Дата:
Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> writes:
> Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.
> Since the current version is 1.1, the 1.0 file isn't really needed.  We do
> need the 1.0--1.1 upgrade file, so people on 1.0 can upgrade.

Shouldn't this commit have removed the 1.0 file from git altogether?
It's quite useless if it's not going to get installed.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 23 February 2012 16:25, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.
>> Since the current version is 1.1, the 1.0 file isn't really needed.  We do
>> need the 1.0--1.1 upgrade file, so people on 1.0 can upgrade.
>
> Shouldn't this commit have removed the 1.0 file from git altogether?
> It's quite useless if it's not going to get installed.

It's worth noting that the recent commit "Make EXPLAIN (BUFFERS) track
blocks dirtied, as well as those written" did not remove
pg_stat_statements--1.0.sql either.

Re: pgsql: Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.
>> Since the current version is 1.1, the 1.0 file isn't really needed.  We do
>> need the 1.0--1.1 upgrade file, so people on 1.0 can upgrade.
>
> Shouldn't this commit have removed the 1.0 file from git altogether?
> It's quite useless if it's not going to get installed.

I left it for the possible documentation value thereof.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgsql: Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.

Дата:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Shouldn't this commit have removed the 1.0 file from git altogether?
>> It's quite useless if it's not going to get installed.

> I left it for the possible documentation value thereof.

We do not keep around dead code in HEAD for historical reference
purposes.  We have an SCM for that, and we should use it.  The only
reason to keep this file would be if people were possibly still going to
install 1.0 in preference to 1.1 ... but this commit eliminated the
possibility of users doing so.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.

Дата:
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 05:26:03PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> Shouldn't this commit have removed the 1.0 file from git altogether?
> >> It's quite useless if it's not going to get installed.
>
> > I left it for the possible documentation value thereof.
>
> We do not keep around dead code in HEAD for historical reference
> purposes.  We have an SCM for that, and we should use it.  The only
> reason to keep this file would be if people were possibly still going to
> install 1.0 in preference to 1.1 ... but this commit eliminated the
> possibility of users doing so.

Would someone please do the above --- I am unclear exactly what files
need to be removed, and any Makefile adjustments.

Re: pgsql: Don't install hstore--1.0.sql any more.

Дата:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 05:26:03PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> We do not keep around dead code in HEAD for historical reference
>> purposes.  We have an SCM for that, and we should use it.  The only
>> reason to keep this file would be if people were possibly still going to
>> install 1.0 in preference to 1.1 ... but this commit eliminated the
>> possibility of users doing so.

> Would someone please do the above --- I am unclear exactly what files
> need to be removed, and any Makefile adjustments.

Done.  There aren't any Makefile adjustments: the whole point of the
complaint was that the file was now useless because unreferenced.

            regards, tom lane