Обсуждение: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Strahinja Kustudić
Дата:
I am automating Postgres deployment on Linux and I need to check if Postgres needs to be restarted when a configuration parameter that requires a restart changes, e.g. when you change wal_level. Is there a way to detect a parameter which requires a restart was changed?

Reading the log file after sending SIGHUP is not possible to automate. I know I can query pg_settings and then compare relevant parameters from the conf file, but that means I will need to check all parameters which I set and which require a restart. I only need to know if postgres requires a restart.

Strahinja Kustudić
| Lead System Engineer | Nordeus

Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Payal Singh
Дата:
you can query the context value of the particular setting in pg_settings table. http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/view-pg-settings.html

Payal Singh,
Junior Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.
Phone: 240.646.0770 x 253

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Strahinja Kustudić <strahinjak@nordeus.com> wrote:
I am automating Postgres deployment on Linux and I need to check if Postgres needs to be restarted when a configuration parameter that requires a restart changes, e.g. when you change wal_level. Is there a way to detect a parameter which requires a restart was changed?

Reading the log file after sending SIGHUP is not possible to automate. I know I can query pg_settings and then compare relevant parameters from the conf file, but that means I will need to check all parameters which I set and which require a restart. I only need to know if postgres requires a restart.

Strahinja Kustudić
| Lead System Engineer | Nordeus

Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Ian Barwick
Дата:
On 14/10/01 8:51, Strahinja Kustudić wrote:
> I am automating Postgres deployment on Linux and I need to check if Postgres
> needs to be restarted when a configuration parameter that requires a restart
> changes, e.g. when you change wal_level. Is there a way to detect a parameter
> which requires a restart was changed?
>
> Reading the log file after sending SIGHUP is not possible to automate. I know
> I can query pg_settings and then compare relevant parameters from the conf file,
> but that means I will need to check all parameters which I set and which require a
> restart. I only need to know if postgres requires a restart.

I created an experimental background worker which records configuration parameter
changes after a SIGHUP is received:

  https://github.com/ibarwick/config_log

It was originally intended to log configuration changes, however it
might be possible to create a query based off the recorded values to detect
changes which require a restart.

No guarantee of fitness for purpose. Requires 9.3 or later.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
 Ian Barwick                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Jason Mathis
Дата:
How are you automating? Have you looked at puppet or anything? Puppet labs maintains a postgresql module that has all
thatbaked in. Check it out at least it can give you some ideas.

https://forge.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs/postgresql

> On Sep 30, 2014, at 6:20 PM, Ian Barwick <ian@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14/10/01 8:51, Strahinja Kustudić wrote:
>> I am automating Postgres deployment on Linux and I need to check if Postgres
>> needs to be restarted when a configuration parameter that requires a restart
>> changes, e.g. when you change wal_level. Is there a way to detect a parameter
>> which requires a restart was changed?
>>
>> Reading the log file after sending SIGHUP is not possible to automate. I know
>> I can query pg_settings and then compare relevant parameters from the conf file,
>> but that means I will need to check all parameters which I set and which require a
>> restart. I only need to know if postgres requires a restart.
>
> I created an experimental background worker which records configuration parameter
> changes after a SIGHUP is received:
>
>  https://github.com/ibarwick/config_log
>
> It was originally intended to log configuration changes, however it
> might be possible to create a query based off the recorded values to detect
> changes which require a restart.
>
> No guarantee of fitness for purpose. Requires 9.3 or later.
>

> Regards
>
> Ian Barwick
>
> --
> Ian Barwick                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

This transmission contains confidential and privileged information intended
solely for the party identified above. If you receive this message in
error, you must not use it or convey it to others. Please destroy it
immediately and contact the sender at (303) 386-3955 or by return e-mail to
the sender.

Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 01:51 +0200, Strahinja Kustudić wrote:
> I am automating Postgres deployment on Linux and I need to check if
> Postgres needs to be restarted when a configuration parameter that
> requires a restart changes, e.g. when you change wal_level. Is there a
> way to detect a parameter which requires a restart was changed?

As you can gather, there isn't really a straightforward way.  But it
would be a great feature addition.

Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Tue, 2014-09-30 at 18:51 -0600, Jason Mathis wrote:
> How are you automating? Have you looked at puppet or anything? Puppet
> labs maintains a postgresql module that has all that baked in. Check
> it out at least it can give you some ideas.

Their "idea" is to maintain a hard-coded list about which parameter
changes need a restart, and their list is wrong.

Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Strahinja Kustudić
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-09-30 at 18:51 -0600, Jason Mathis wrote:
> How are you automating? Have you looked at puppet or anything? Puppet
> labs maintains a postgresql module that has all that baked in. Check
> it out at least it can give you some ideas.

Their "idea" is to maintain a hard-coded list about which parameter
changes need a restart, and their list is wrong.

I'm deploying Postgres with Ansible, so Puppet doesn't help.

The idea of maintaining a list of parameters which require a restarts is ok for automation, since you usually only change a few of them. I also have a list of those parameters which can be changed by Ansible and I would like to detect if any of them changed, so I know I need to restart. Or it would be even better if Postgres can tell me if it requires a restart to apply all parameter changes, something like when you send SIGHUP and in the log it tells you that a parameter can only be changed after restart. But I can see that doesn't exist.

I have a relatively easy solution for this with Ansible. Ansible saves the values of all parameters which require a restart in one file and I just check if that file changed, but the problem with this is that if I change this file for any other reason, it could restart Postgres even if it doesn't need a restart. The right way is to parse the postgresql.conf and compare the values with pg_settings, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Shreeyansh dba

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Strahinja Kustudić <strahinjak@nordeus.com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-09-30 at 18:51 -0600, Jason Mathis wrote:
> How are you automating? Have you looked at puppet or anything? Puppet
> labs maintains a postgresql module that has all that baked in. Check
> it out at least it can give you some ideas.

Their "idea" is to maintain a hard-coded list about which parameter
changes need a restart, and their list is wrong.

I'm deploying Postgres with Ansible, so Puppet doesn't help.

The idea of maintaining a list of parameters which require a restarts is ok for automation, since you usually only change a few of them. I also have a list of those parameters which can be changed by Ansible and I would like to detect if any of them changed, so I know I need to restart. Or it would be even better if Postgres can tell me if it requires a restart to apply all parameter changes, something like when you send SIGHUP and in the log it tells you that a parameter can only be changed after restart. But I can see that doesn't exist.

I have a relatively easy solution for this with Ansible. Ansible saves the values of all parameters which require a restart in one file and I just check if that file changed, but the problem with this is that if I change this file for any other reason, it could restart Postgres even if it doesn't need a restart. The right way is to parse the postgresql.conf and compare the values with pg_settings, but I was hoping to avoid that.

                  I am not sure the reason behind for this requirement which can be accomplished using a shell script that compares the database parameters which needs a start whenever changes in postgresql.conf happen result towards restart of the database. I feel this implementation may not be a good fit for the production implementations as the database parameter changes which need a  restart need to go through various business approvals to happen these changes only in off peak hours.  Implementing auto start of the shell script for the changes on postgresql.conf may lead towards loosing control over this as user mistakes in changing this file may result towards restart of the database automatically at any time.

Regards:

Nitin Magdum

www.shreeyansh.com

Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Stuart Bishop
Дата:
On 1 October 2014 16:18, Strahinja Kustudić <strahinjak@nordeus.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 2014-09-30 at 18:51 -0600, Jason Mathis wrote:
>> > How are you automating? Have you looked at puppet or anything? Puppet
>> > labs maintains a postgresql module that has all that baked in. Check
>> > it out at least it can give you some ideas.
>>
>> Their "idea" is to maintain a hard-coded list about which parameter
>> changes need a restart, and their list is wrong.
>

> I'm deploying Postgres with Ansible, so Puppet doesn't help.
>
> The idea of maintaining a list of parameters which require a restarts is ok
> for automation, since you usually only change a few of them. I also have a
> list of those parameters which can be changed by Ansible and I would like to
> detect if any of them changed, so I know I need to restart. Or it would be
> even better if Postgres can tell me if it requires a restart to apply all
> parameter changes, something like when you send SIGHUP and in the log it
> tells you that a parameter can only be changed after restart. But I can see
> that doesn't exist.

It is unnecessary maintaining a list of parameters which require a
restart, as you can tell by looking at pg_settings.

The way I do it is by comparing the contents of pg_settings with a
snapshot I made just after (or just before) the server was last
restarted. If any settings have been changed that have a context of
'postmaster', the server needs a restart.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/

Re: How to detect if Postgres needs a restart when configuration changes

От
Strahinja Kustudić
Дата: