Обсуждение: password authentication failed for user postgres

password authentication failed for user postgres

От
Major Services
Дата:
Hi,

1. I have added  listen_addresses = '*' ; in  postgresql.conf

2. And have made the following changes to pg_hba.conf

local   DATABASE    USER   METHOD
local    samegroup      all      password
host    DATABASE    USER    CIDR-ADDRESS  METHOD  [OPTION]
host          all                 all       0.0.0.0/0             md5
hostssl      all                 all       0.0.0.0/0            md5

3. Have restarted the server

4. I can login to the server as user postgres.

But  while trying to createuser I get the following message  :
'createuser: could not connect to database postgres:  FATAL :
password authentication failed for user "postgres"

This is on Redhat running Plesk also.

I am new to Linux as well as PostgreSQL. Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Viv

Re: password authentication failed for user postgres

От
Iñigo Martinez Lasala
Дата:
In order to lauch createuser you don't need to modify listen_address since you can use unix sockets. But anyway it's a requirement if you are goint to access remotely.

Add this line in first place to your pg_hba.conf
local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

Reload postgresql and launch createuser as postgres user.

1. I have added  listen_addresses = '*' ; in  postgresql.conf

2. And have made the following changes to pg_hba.conf

local   DATABASE    USER   METHOD
local    samegroup      all      password
host    DATABASE    USER    CIDR-ADDRESS  METHOD  [OPTION]
host          all                 all       0.0.0.0/0             md5
hostssl      all                 all       0.0.0.0/0            md5

3. Have restarted the server

4. I can login to the server as user postgres.

But  while trying to createuser I get the following message  :
'createuser: could not connect to database postgres:  FATAL :
password authentication failed for user "postgres"

This is on Redhat running Plesk also.

I am new to Linux as well as PostgreSQL. Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Viv

Fwd: password authentication failed for user postgres

От
Major Services
Дата:
Thank you for your message. But am in another problem now.
In between I also tried to restart the server with 'service postgresql restart'
It stopped the server, but then server start failed.
Had restarted earlier also, without a problem.

What should I do?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> In order to lauch createuser you don't need to modify listen_address since
> you can use unix sockets. But anyway it's a requirement if you are goint to
> access remotely.
>
> Add this line in first place to your pg_hba.conf
> local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
>

> Reload postgresql and launch createuser as postgres user.

Дата:
But the server restart has failed; I am yet to make the changes suggested by you in the first instance.

Try with these parameters in pg_hba.conf. Perhaps your postgres-redhat compilation does not have ident enabled...

local all postgres trust

Thank you for your message. But am in another problem now.
In between I also tried to restart the server with 'service postgresql restart'
It stopped the server, but then server start failed.
Had restarted earlier also, without a problem.

What should I do?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> In order to lauch createuser you don't need to modify listen_address since
> you can use unix sockets. But anyway it's a requirement if you are goint to
> access remotely.
>
> Add this line in first place to your pg_hba.conf
> local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
>

> Reload postgresql and launch createuser as postgres user.

Дата:
Ah... ok.
In /var/lib/pgsql you will find a file called pgstartup.log
Could you post here last lines of this file ?

But the server restart has failed; I am yet to make the changes suggested by you in the first instance.

Try with these parameters in pg_hba.conf. Perhaps your postgres-redhat compilation does not have ident enabled...

local all postgres trust

Thank you for your message. But am in another problem now.
In between I also tried to restart the server with 'service postgresql restart'
It stopped the server, but then server start failed.
Had restarted earlier also, without a problem.

What should I do?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> In order to lauch createuser you don't need to modify listen_address since
> you can use unix sockets. But anyway it's a requirement if you are goint to
> access remotely.
>
> Add this line in first place to your pg_hba.conf
> local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
>

> Reload postgresql and launch createuser as postgres user.

Дата:
pgstartup.log:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

Success. You can now start the database server using:
/usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
or
/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -1 logfile start
FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid"already exists
HINT:Is another postmaster (PID 3300) running in data directory"b/pgsql/data"?
LOG:  logger shutting down
runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
LOG:  logger shutting down
FATAL: syntax error in file "/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf", near token ","

Now, in the "/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf" the only change I have made is in listen_addresses; viz
listen_addresses = 'localhost', '*'

Let me know how to move ahead.
Thanks.

In /var/lib/pgsql you will find a file called pgstartup.log
Could you post here last lines of this file ?

But the server restart has failed; I am yet to make the changes suggested by you in the first instance.

Try with these parameters in pg_hba.conf. Perhaps your postgres-redhat compilation does not have ident enabled...

local all postgres trust

Thank you for your message. But am in another problem now.
In between I also tried to restart the server with 'service postgresql restart'
It stopped the server, but then server start failed.
Had restarted earlier also, without a problem.

What should I do?

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> In order to lauch createuser you don't need to modify listen_address since
> you can use unix sockets. But anyway it's a requirement if you are goint to
> access remotely.
>
> Add this line in first place to your pg_hba.conf
> local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
>

> Reload postgresql and launch createuser as postgres user.

Kenneth Marshall
Дата:
You cannot have a '*' in listen_addresses with anything else.
That already means bind to EVERY available interface. When you
added localhost, it tried to re-bind localhost twice. Try just
using '*'.

Cheers,
Ken

<imartinez@vectorsf.com<%3d%3fISO-8859-1%3fQ%3fI%3dF1igo%3f%3d%20Martinez%20Lasala%20%3cimartinez@vectorsf.com%3e>

> > *Cc*: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
> > *Subject*: Re: [ADMIN] password authentication failed for user postgres
> > *Date*: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 16:40:47 +0530
> >
> > But the server restart has failed; I am yet to make the changes suggested
> > by you in the first instance.
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM, I?igo Martinez Lasala <
> > imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> >
> > Try with these parameters in pg_hba.conf. Perhaps your postgres-redhat
> > compilation does not have ident enabled...
> >
> > local all postgres trust

Дата:
Ok, made it
listen_addresses = '*'

Now, can you please help me start the server. ( As I mentioned in earlier post,  'service postgresql restart' had stopped the server but  *server start failed*.)

Step wise list of commands to be given would be great!
Do I need to login as postgres?

Thanks
You cannot have a '*' in listen_addresses with anything else.
That already means bind to EVERY available interface. When you
added localhost, it tried to re-bind localhost twice. Try just
using '*'.

Cheers,
Ken

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 07:19:47PM +0530, Major Services wrote:
> pgstartup.log:
>
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
> "postgres".
>
> Success. You can now start the database server using:
> /usr/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
> or
> /usr/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -1 logfile start
> FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid"already exists
> HINT:Is another postmaster (PID 3300) running in data
> directory"b/pgsql/data"?
> LOG:  logger shutting down
> runuser: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
> LOG:  logger shutting down
> FATAL: syntax error in file "/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf", near
> token ","
>

> Now, in the "/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf" the only change I have
> made is in listen_addresses; viz
> listen_addresses = 'localhost', '*'
>
> Let me know how to move ahead.
> Thanks.
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:55 PM, I?igo Martinez Lasala <
> imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
>
> >  Ah... ok.
> > In /var/lib/pgsql you will find a file called pgstartup.log
> > Could you post here last lines of this file ?

Дата:
Finally, I am able to create a user.

Now when I try to connect to the server through DBWebAdmin (in
Parallels Plesk Panel); I get the following :
Error: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

(earlier, with this link I could reach the login screen for PgAdmin )

 Do I need to remove the following from pg_hba.conf now?
 local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala
<imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> In order to lauch createuser you don't need to modify listen_address since
> you can use unix sockets. But anyway it's a requirement if you are goint to
> access remotely.
>
> Add this line in first place to your pg_hba.conf
> local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
>

> Reload postgresql and launch createuser as postgres user.

Дата:
Great. You managed to start server. :-)

You are using user postgres and you shoudn't use it.I suggest you to create your own dbadmin...

In your linux box, as root user:

su - postgres
createuser -s dbadmin -P

You will create a new user called dbadmin. It will ask you for a password for this user and some extra options. Response YES to all.

Now you can connect remotely with this dbadmin user.

Now when I try to connect to the server through DBWebAdmin (in
Parallels Plesk Panel); I get the following :
Error: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

(earlier, with this link I could reach the login screen for PgAdmin )
Do I need to remove the following from pg_hba.conf now?local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala
<imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> In order to lauch createuser you don't need to modify listen_address since
> you can use unix sockets. But anyway it's a requirement if you are goint to
> access remotely.
>
> Add this line in first place to your pg_hba.conf
> local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
>

> Reload postgresql and launch createuser as postgres user.

Дата:
Thanks.
I already have created a user.
And can connect to the server through the PgAdmin on my local system.

My query now is :
Now when I try to connect to the server through DBWebAdmin (in
 Parallels Plesk Panel); I get the following :
 Error: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

 (earlier, with this link I could reach the login screen for PgAdmin )

  Do I need to remove the following from pg_hba.conf now?
  local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

Thanks for all your help & support.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala
<imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> Great. You managed to start server. :-)
>
> You are using user postgres and you shoudn't use it.I suggest you to create
> your own dbadmin...
>
> In your linux box, as root user:
>
> su - postgres
> createuser -s dbadmin -P
>
> You will create a new user called dbadmin. It will ask you for a password
> for this user and some extra options. Response YES to all.
>
> Now you can connect remotely with this dbadmin user.

Дата:
OK, it's a web app installed locally...

Modify config file for this app (I don't know about it, so you will have to search by yourserlf) and point to 127.0.0.1 instead of use unix sockets, and also change use postgres for user dbadmin.

Or modify your pg_hba.conf like this
local     all     postgres     trust

I don't suggest to revert to "local all postgres password" since you will have to enter password for any local operation in your server, but anyway, it's your decision.

And can connect to the server through the PgAdmin on my local system.

My query now is :
Now when I try to connect to the server through DBWebAdmin (inParallels Plesk Panel); I get the following :Error: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"
(earlier, with this link I could reach the login screen for PgAdmin )
 Do I need to remove the following from pg_hba.conf now? local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser

Thanks for all your help & support.

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala
<imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> Great. You managed to start server. :-)
>
> You are using user postgres and you shoudn't use it.I suggest you to create
> your own dbadmin...
>
> In your linux box, as root user:
>
> su - postgres
> createuser -s dbadmin -P
>
> You will create a new user called dbadmin. It will ask you for a password
> for this user and some extra options. Response YES to all.
>
> Now you can connect remotely with this dbadmin user.

Дата:
When I try to login as dbadmin through shell, I get 'access denied'.

What could be wrong?

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala
<imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> OK, it's a web app installed locally...
>
> Modify config file for this app (I don't know about it, so you will have to
> search by yourserlf) and point to 127.0.0.1 instead of use unix sockets, and
> also change use postgres for user dbadmin.
>
> Or modify your pg_hba.conf like this
> local     all     postgres     trust
>
> I don't suggest to revert to "local all postgres password" since you will
> have to enter password for any local operation in your server, but anyway,
> it's your decision.

Дата:
dbadmin is a database user, not a Linux user.
You cannot use dbadmin in order to get logged to your machine. Only to access database.

Why are you using dbadmin to login to unix? Use root.

Configure your web app using your root user to login to postgresql with dbadmin. You will have to modify a config file somewhere in the path of this app. Read INSTALL or README files of your web app.

Use phppgadmin as alternative. It's also free and it will be probably at RedHat/CentOS repos. "yum install phppgadmin" or "up2date install phppgadmin"
Or webmin if you want to admin all server without having to use command line. http://www.webmin.com/

When I try to login as dbadmin through shell, I get 'access denied'.

What could be wrong?

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala
<imartinez@vectorsf.com> wrote:
> OK, it's a web app installed locally...
>
> Modify config file for this app (I don't know about it, so you will have to
> search by yourserlf) and point to 127.0.0.1 instead of use unix sockets, and
> also change use postgres for user dbadmin.
>
> Or modify your pg_hba.conf like this
> local     all     postgres     trust
>
> I don't suggest to revert to "local all postgres password" since you will
> have to enter password for any local operation in your server, but anyway,
> it's your decision.

Дата:
I see.

I have pgAdmin III on my local system and have been able to create database and tables through it. I hope this is fine?

Thanks once again; though I am sure I'll be back with some query for you and the community.

Вложения