Обсуждение: Problems With pg_dumpall and OIDs

Problems With pg_dumpall and OIDs

От
Tim Gustafson
Дата:
Hello,

I currently have a old GForge installation running on Postgres 7.4.19.  GForge relies on the OID columns of their
applicationtables for different things.  I'm trying to upgrade Postgres to 8.2, and in order to do so, I'm doing:

pg_dumpall --oids --clean > foo.sql

However, the "CREATE TABLE" statements in foo.sql don't have "WITH OIDS" specified, so when the tables are created in
thenew server, they are not getting OID columns, and then the data load portion of the SQL script appears to
essentiallybe ignoring the OID information.

Is there an updated pg_dumpall that fixes this problem?  Was this a known issue in the 7.4.19 pg_dumpall that was
fixed? Any suggestions on how best to get the data out of the 7.4 server and in to the 8.2 server while maintaining all
theOID information?

Thanks for all your help!

Tim Gustafson
SOE Webmaster
UC Santa Cruz
tjg@soe.ucsc.edu
831-459-5354

Re: Problems With pg_dumpall and OIDs

От
"Milen A. Radev"
Дата:
Tim Gustafson написа:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have a old GForge installation running on Postgres 7.4.19.  GForge relies on the OID columns of their
applicationtables for different things.  I'm trying to upgrade Postgres to 8.2, and in order to do so, I'm doing:

> pg_dumpall --oids --clean > foo.sql
>
> However, the "CREATE TABLE" statements in foo.sql don't have "WITH OIDS" specified, so when the tables are created in
thenew server, they are not getting OID columns, and then the data load portion of the SQL script appears to
essentiallybe ignoring the OID information.

> Is there an updated pg_dumpall that fixes this problem?  Was this a known issue in the 7.4.19 pg_dumpall that was
fixed? Any suggestions on how best to get the data out of the 7.4 server and in to the 8.2 server while maintaining all
theOID information?
[...]

A workaround: temporarily turn to "on" the value off the "default_with_oids"
parameter in your configuration file (the defaults is "off").

--
Milen A. Radev

Re: Problems With pg_dumpall and OIDs

От
Tim Gustafson
> A workaround: temporarily turn to "on" the value off the
> "default_with_oids" parameter in your configuration file
> (the defaults is "off").

I tried that, but still got warning messages about no OID columns when I imported the data into 8.2.  :(  Unless maybe
I'mdoing something wrong.  I'm getting ready to "try again" shortly.

Tim Gustafson
SOE Webmaster
UC Santa Cruz
tjg@soe.ucsc.edu
831-459-5354

Re: Problems With pg_dumpall and OIDs

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Tim Gustafson <tjg@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
>> A workaround: temporarily turn to "on" the value off the
>> "default_with_oids" parameter in your configuration file
>> (the defaults is "off").
>
> I tried that, but still got warning messages about no OID columns when I imported the data into 8.2.  :(  Unless
maybeI'm doing something wrong.  I'm getting ready to "try again" shortly.

Did you reload / restart postgrseql after making the change?  When you
psql into the server, what does

show default_with_oids;

say?

Re: Problems With pg_dumpall and OIDs

Дата:
Tim Gustafson <tjg@soe.ucsc.edu> writes:
> I currently have a old GForge installation running on Postgres 7.4.19.  GForge relies on the OID columns of their
applicationtables for different things.  I'm trying to upgrade Postgres to 8.2, and in order to do so, I'm doing:

> pg_dumpall --oids --clean > foo.sql

> However, the "CREATE TABLE" statements in foo.sql don't have "WITH
> OIDS" specified,

7.4's pg_dump doesn't know it ought to do that.  Try taking the dump
with the newer version's pg_dump(all).

            regards, tom lane