Обсуждение: privileges

privileges

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Hello,

I asked this question yesterday, but perhaps I did so in an
unintelligible way.  I didn't get any answer that time.  Someone
usually answers my questions, so I must not have asked it very well.
I have a new database that I'm building for a faculty research
project.  I created a role called app_admin.  I granted the app_admin
role to my user name.  When I try to describe the table using the
"\d" psql command, it tells me there are no relations.  When I issue
that command logged as postgres instead of my username, all the
tables are listed.  Since this is a new server, I thought perhaps the
database connection wasn't right but I can change to another database
that I have privileges to and I can describe the tables in that
database just fine.

Please help me with this.  I have listed the privileges with the "\z"
and it shows me that my app_admin roles has all privs to all tables
and sequences.  I tried to grant the role to my username, thinking
that it might not have worked the first time.  The system says that
that username already has that role, so that's not the problem.

Thanks,

Carol

Re: privileges

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:

>  I granted the app_admin role to my user name.  When I try to
> describe the table using the "\d" psql command, it tells me there are no
> relations.

I believe that this link explains the problem you are seeing:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/role-membership.html

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: privileges

От
"Richard Broersma"
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Richard Broersma
<richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:
>
>>  I granted the app_admin role to my user name.  When I try to
>> describe the table using the "\d" psql command, it tells me there are no
>> relations.
>
> I believe that this link explains the problem you are seeing:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/role-membership.html

Take a look the the inherits keyword.

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: privileges

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
The problem is solved.  It wasn't until I tried to work with the
database in PhpPgAdmin that I got an error message that pointed me to
the solution.  I had not granted privileges to the schemas.  I had
never had to grant privs to a schema before and the documentation
seemed to indicate that it was only necessary in certain cases.  This
didn't seem to fit my circumstances.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Carol

On Aug 28, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Richard Broersma wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Richard Broersma
> <richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Carol Walter
>> <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>  I granted the app_admin role to my user name.  When I try to
>>> describe the table using the "\d" psql command, it tells me there
>>> are no
>>> relations.
>>
>> I believe that this link explains the problem you are seeing:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/role-membership.html
>
> Take a look the the inherits keyword.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Richard Broersma Jr.
>
> Visit the Los Angeles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
> http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: privileges

От
Ben Kim
Дата:
Could it be the search path (schema) issue? Just a quick thought...

Regards,

Ben Kim