Обсуждение: physical memory

physical memory

От
Antonio Corardi
Дата:
Hi all,
    I'm new here and my doubt is very basic. I'm wondering how to set
the max amount of space(physical, not RAM) to be used by postgreSQL.
Moreover, Is such amount limited to the hard disk in wich postgreSQL is
installed or it scales  automatically to the others HD available? How
can I manage it.
Thanks in advance.
Antonio

Fwd: physical memory

От
Rich
Дата:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rich <rhdyes@gmail.com>
Date: Jan 10, 2008 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] physical memory
To: Antonio Corardi <antonio.corardi@gmail.com>

There is probably no limit except the limitations of your hardware at
this time.  As far as it automatically incorporating other hard
drives, that is probably more of a function of your operating system.
Example if you put your tabelspace on a system where the filesystem
spans multiple drives, it will grow till you run out of space.  This I
would say is based on your filesystem design.

On Jan 10, 2008 12:53 PM, Antonio Corardi <antonio.corardi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I'm new here and my doubt is very basic. I'm wondering how to set
> the max amount of space(physical, not RAM) to be used by postgreSQL.
> Moreover, Is such amount limited to the hard disk in wich postgreSQL is
> installed or it scales  automatically to the others HD available? How
> can I manage it.
> Thanks in advance.
> Antonio

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Fwd: physical memory

От
Antonio5556
Дата:
My fear is that the tablespace is related to a specific directory of the OS;
and, in my best understanding on OS, the amount of memory of a directory is
bounded by the amount of memory of the related HD. Hence, when the amount of
memory related to such directory will run out of space it will not scale to
other HD. :rules:

Richmond Dyes-2 wrote:

> [...]

Tino Schwarze
Дата:
On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 12:39:52AM -0800, Antonio5556 wrote:

> My fear is that the tablespace is related to a specific directory of the OS;
> and, in my best understanding on OS, the amount of memory of a directory is
> bounded by the amount of memory of the related HD. Hence, when the amount of
> memory related to such directory will run out of space it will not scale to
> other HD. :rules:

That's what Logical Volume Management (LVM) is for - it allows you to
have a filesystem which spans multiple HDs (or RAIDs). So this is not an
issue of PostgreSQL but of the operating system.

Tino.

--
www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.spiritualdesign-chemnitz.de

Tino Schwarze * Parkstraße 17h * 09120 Chemnitz

Re: Fwd: physical memory

От
Antonio5556
Дата:
Thankyou
Mmaybe it is off topic but is LVM available in Windows (xp?)? Or have I to
buy a specific tool? Which one?
Thanks

Re: Fwd: physical memory

От
Adam Tauno Williams
Дата:
> Mmaybe it is off topic but is LVM available in Windows (xp?)?

Yes.

> Or have I to buy a specific tool? Which one?

Just use the standard disk / volume management tools included under
Computer Management.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com