Обсуждение: Distributed database with PostgreSQL

Distributed database with PostgreSQL

От
POLONKAI Gergely
Дата:
Hello list,

We are currently developing a server cluster, and we are thinking of
using PostgreSQL as our database backend. As I haven't found any
information about this on the web (maybe I searched on the wrong
keywords), I ask here: is it possible to run one database on multiple
servers, so all the nodes would see the same data?

Regards,
Gergely POLONKAI

Re: Distributed database with PostgreSQL

От
"hubert depesz lubaczewski"
Дата:
keywords), I ask here: is it possible to run one database on multiple
servers, so all the nodes would see the same data?

what you're asking is replication, and i belive that if you do a simple search on "postgresql replication" it will return a lot of results.

basic choice for postgresql replication is slony, but there are other (both free and proprietary) options.

depesz

--
http://www.depesz.com/ - nowy, lepszy depesz

Re: Distributed database with PostgreSQL

От
POLONKAI Gergely
Дата:
hubert depesz lubaczewski írta:
> On 6/28/07, POLONKAI Gergely <polesz@w00d5t0ck.info> wrote:
>>
>> keywords), I ask here: is it possible to run one database on multiple
>> servers, so all the nodes would see the same data?
>>

> what you're asking is replication, and i belive that if you do a simple
> search on "postgresql replication" it will return a lot of results.
>
> basic choice for postgresql replication is slony, but there are other
> (both
> free and proprietary) options.
>
> depesz

Actually, it is not replication we need, as all the nodes are equal, so
there is no master server at all. I'm googling around now with these
keywords tho, but I think this is not we need...

Re: Distributed database with PostgreSQL

От
Adam Radlowski
Some ideas:
With Slony one the one of these server You can install paralell a
"central" database and "slave". They can work on two database clusters
with running two PostgreSQL instances (on two different ports).
Read the docs about dbmirror too (source tree - contrib/dbmirror).
You can make Your own replication using the module dblink (If You are
using PostgreSQL compiled from sources, You have to change directory in
source tree to contrib/dblink; read there all docs, compile and install;
You have to remember to run script dblink.sql calling it from psql after
"make install").
Adam

POLONKAI Gergely pisze:
> hubert depesz lubaczewski írta:
>
>> On 6/28/07, POLONKAI Gergely <polesz@w00d5t0ck.info> wrote:
>>
>>> keywords), I ask here: is it possible to run one database on multiple
>>> servers, so all the nodes would see the same data?
>>>

>> what you're asking is replication, and i belive that if you do a simple
>> search on "postgresql replication" it will return a lot of results.
>>
>> basic choice for postgresql replication is slony, but there are other
>> (both
>> free and proprietary) options.
>>
>> depesz
>>

> Actually, it is not replication we need, as all the nodes are equal, so
> there is no master server at all. I'm googling around now with these
> keywords tho, but I think this is not we need...

Re: Distributed database with PostgreSQL

От
"hubert depesz lubaczewski"
Дата:
On 6/28/07, POLONKAI Gergely <polesz@w00d5t0ck.info> wrote:
hubert depesz lubaczewski írta:
Actually, it is not replication we need, as all the nodes are equal, so
there is no master server at all. I'm googling around now with these
keywords tho, but I think this is not we need...

if the nodes are equal it's not the case that there is no master, but rather - there are no slave nodes.
so it would look like a situation for multi-master replication.
unfortunately there is no such system yes for postgresql.there are some that do things alike to multi-master replication, but none of them is full multi-master replication system.
you can try your luck with pgpool/pgpool2 or sequoia.

depesz

--
http://www.depesz.com/ - nowy, lepszy depesz

Re: Distributed database with PostgreSQL

От
Hannes Dorbath
Дата:
POLONKAI Gergely wrote:
> We are currently developing a server cluster, and we are thinking of
> using PostgreSQL as our database backend. As I haven't found any
> information about this on the web (maybe I searched on the wrong
> keywords), I ask here: is it possible to run one database on multiple
> servers, so all the nodes would see the same data?

No.

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath