Обсуждение: How far does interrupting vacuum full rollback?

How far does interrupting vacuum full rollback?

От
Nick Urbanik
Дата:
Dear Folks,

I would like to interrupt this full vacuum run as:

vacuum full verbose;

which has vacuumed a number of tables.

Will interrupting it (with Control-C) cause vacuuming of the previous
tables to be rolled back, or just the vacuuming of the current table?

WIll any of the work done on the current table remain if the vacuuming
process is interrupted?

This is PostgreSQL 7.3.8.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku@nicku.org

Re: How far does interrupting vacuum full rollback?

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:37:28AM +1000, Nick Urbanik wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> I would like to interrupt this full vacuum run as:
>
> vacuum full verbose;
>
> which has vacuumed a number of tables.
>
> Will interrupting it (with Control-C) cause vacuuming of the previous
> tables to be rolled back, or just the vacuuming of the current table?

Just the current table.

> WIll any of the work done on the current table remain if the vacuuming
> process is interrupted?

If it's had to cycle though the heap more than once due to running out
of maintenance_work_mem (or whatever it's called in 7.3) then I believe
some of the work will be saved.

> This is PostgreSQL 7.3.8.

You should strongly consider upgrading to 8.2 or at least 8.1. If
nothing else at least get on the latest 7.3 version.
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org

Re: How far does interrupting vacuum full rollback?

От
Nick Urbanik
Дата:
Dear Folks,

I would like to extend a big "Thank You" to all the great people who
answered my questions so quickly and helpfully.  I'd love to buy you
all a beer!

On 15/05/07 19:59 -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:37:28AM +1000, Nick Urbanik wrote:
>> Will interrupting it (with Control-C) cause vacuuming of the previous
>> tables to be rolled back, or just the vacuuming of the current table?
>
>Just the current table.

Thank you!  You were absolutely right there.

>> WIll any of the work done on the current table remain if the vacuuming
>> process is interrupted?
>
>If it's had to cycle though the heap more than once due to running out
>of maintenance_work_mem (or whatever it's called in 7.3) then I believe
>some of the work will be saved.

Thanks.  It actually completed on that table before I interrupted it.
Everything is back in action, and I now breath more freely.

>> This is PostgreSQL 7.3.8.
>
>You should strongly consider upgrading to 8.2 or at least 8.1. If
>nothing else at least get on the latest 7.3 version.

Yes, I understand, but this system has been in production for some
time, and along with many others, will get an upgrade, but only when
we have time.  It's hard for a team of six people to manage around 430
servers as well as work on many other projects.  We just do the best
we can.
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku@nicku.org