Обсуждение: Moving data directory

Moving data directory

От
"Linux Geeks"
Дата:
Hi All,

I'm very new to postgresql and would like to move my data directory to
another partition in Ubuntu. The standard installation is in
/usr/lib/postgresql. How do I move it into /var/lib/postgresql.

Regards,

Dino

--
To Analyze Is To Know Batte Field, Differ from Battle Itself

Re: Moving data directory

От
"Srinivas Kotapally"
Дата:
You can do an initdb -d /var/lib/postgresql  to initialize the data directory in
the /var/lib/postgresql directory.  If you also have data in the
/usr/lib/postgresql - make sure you back it up and restore it in the new
directory.

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org]
On Behalf Of Linux Geeks
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:48 PM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] Moving data directory

Hi All,

I'm very new to postgresql and would like to move my data directory to another
partition in Ubuntu. The standard installation is in /usr/lib/postgresql. How do
I move it into /var/lib/postgresql.

Regards,

Dino

--
To Analyze Is To Know Batte Field, Differ from Battle Itself

Re: Moving data directory

От
"Linux Geeks"
Дата:
Hi Srinivas,

Is it permanently change it ? Do I have to change some entry in
configuration file ?

Regards,

Dino

On 5/12/07, Srinivas Kotapally <ksrinivas@coriendo.com> wrote:
> You can do an initdb -d /var/lib/postgresql  to initialize the data directory in
> the /var/lib/postgresql directory.  If you also have data in the
> /usr/lib/postgresql - make sure you back it up and restore it in the new
> directory.

To Analyze Is To Know Batte Field, Differ from Battle Itself

Re: Moving data directory

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Linux Geeks wrote:
> I'm very new to postgresql and would like to move my data directory
> to another partition in Ubuntu. The standard installation is in
> /usr/lib/postgresql. How do I move it into /var/lib/postgresql.

The standard data directory on Ubuntu *is* /var/lib/postgresql.  You
must be confusing something.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Moving data directory

От
"Srinivas Kotapally"
Дата:
No this will permanently change it.  Check out the documentation:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/server-start.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/app-initdb.html

Cheers

Srinivas

Is it permanently change it ? Do I have to change some entry in configuration
file ?

Regards,

Dino

On 5/12/07, Srinivas Kotapally <ksrinivas@coriendo.com> wrote:
> You can do an initdb -d /var/lib/postgresql  to initialize the data
> directory in the /var/lib/postgresql directory.  If you also have data
> in the /usr/lib/postgresql - make sure you back it up and restore it
> in the new directory.

To Analyze Is To Know Batte Field, Differ from Battle Itself

Re: Moving data directory

От
Ray Stell
Дата:
On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 11:47:46PM +0700, Linux Geeks wrote:
> I'm very new to postgresql and would like to move my data directory to
> another partition in Ubuntu.

I don't think there is anything internal to pg that locks the data
location.  Just tell postmaster where you move it to.  Shut down the
postmaster and move it and start it with the -D flag pointing to the
new location:

$  pg_ctl start -D /var/pgsql/data
server starting

$ psql -p 5437 testdb jira
Password for user jira:

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

testdb=> \q

pg_ctl stop -D /var/pgsql/data
waiting for server to shut down....,7222,,2007-05-13 19:52:06.675 EDT,,1,,, LOG:  logger shutting down
 done
server stopped

$ mv /var/pgsql/data-move-test /var/pgsql/data

$  pg_ctl start -D /var/pgsql/data-move-test
server starting

$ psql -p 5437 testdb jira
Password for user jira:

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

testdb=> \q

pg_ctl stop -D /var/pgsql/data-move-test
waiting for server to shut down....,7245,,2007-05-13 19:55:00.944 EDT,,1,,, LOG:  logger shutting down
 done
server stopped

$ mv /var/pgsql/data-move-test /var/pgsql/data

$  pg_ctl start -D /var/pgsql/data
server starting

$ psql -p 5437 testdb jira
Password for user jira:

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

testdb=> \q

--
  Lost time is when we learn nothing from the experiences of life. Time
 gained is when we grow to have a wisdom that is tested in the reality of life.

Re: Moving data directory

От
"Linux Geeks"
Дата:
Hi Ray,

Sorry for late reply. Yes, I have tested your instructions and working
well. The think is now I need to configure so that it will always
automically start with the new location.

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions, really appreciated it.

Regards,

Dino

On 5/14/07, Ray Stell <stellr@cns.vt.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 11:47:46PM +0700, Linux Geeks wrote:
> > I'm very new to postgresql and would like to move my data directory to
> > another partition in Ubuntu.
>

> I don't think there is anything internal to pg that locks the data
> location.  Just tell postmaster where you move it to.  Shut down the
> postmaster and move it and start it with the -D flag pointing to the
> new location:
>
> $  pg_ctl start -D /var/pgsql/data
> server starting
>
> $ psql -p 5437 testdb jira
> Password for user jira:
> Welcome to psql 8.2.3, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> testdb=> \q
>
> pg_ctl stop -D /var/pgsql/data
> waiting for server to shut down....,7222,,2007-05-13 19:52:06.675 EDT,,1,,, LOG:  logger shutting down
>  done
> server stopped
>
> $ mv /var/pgsql/data-move-test /var/pgsql/data
>
> $  pg_ctl start -D /var/pgsql/data-move-test
> server starting
>
> $ psql -p 5437 testdb jira
> Password for user jira:
> Welcome to psql 8.2.3, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> testdb=> \q
>
> pg_ctl stop -D /var/pgsql/data-move-test
> waiting for server to shut down....,7245,,2007-05-13 19:55:00.944 EDT,,1,,, LOG:  logger shutting down
>  done
> server stopped
>
> $ mv /var/pgsql/data-move-test /var/pgsql/data
>
> $  pg_ctl start -D /var/pgsql/data
> server starting
>
> $ psql -p 5437 testdb jira
> Password for user jira:
> Welcome to psql 8.2.3, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> testdb=> \q
>
> --
>   Lost time is when we learn nothing from the experiences of life. Time
>  gained is when we grow to have a wisdom that is tested in the reality of life.

--
To Analyze Is To Know Batte Field, Differ from Battle Itself

Re: Moving data directory

От
"Vishal Arora"
Дата:
Each time you start postgres server using pg_ctl you have to mention the
data directory location using -D option. Alternatively you can specify in
the data_directory parameter of postgresql.conf file.

- vishal

> [...]
>>
>>$ mv /var/pgsql/data-move-test /var/pgsql/data
>>
>>$  pg_ctl start -D /var/pgsql/data
>>server starting
>>
>>$ psql -p 5437 testdb jira
>>Password for user jira:
>>Welcome to psql 8.2.3, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>>
>>Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>>        \h for help with SQL commands
>>        \? for help with psql commands
>>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>>        \q to quit
>>
>>testdb=> \q
>>
>>--
>>   Lost time is when we learn nothing from the experiences of life. Time
>>  gained is when we grow to have a wisdom that is tested in the reality of
>>life.
>>

>--
>To Analyze Is To Know Batte Field, Differ from Battle Itself

>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

More photos, more messages, more storage�get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.

Re: Moving data directory

От
"Khan, Mahmood Ahram"
Дата:
No needs to specify in pg_ctl start/stop clause instead add a variable
in PATH. PG_DATA = d:\postgresdata\data. It is start by just typing
pg_ctl start/stop.
Thanks & Best Regards

M.AHRAM KHAN

broadcast)---------------------------
>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

More photos, more messages, more storage-get 2GB with Windows Live
Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migr
ation_HM_mini_2G_0507

       match

Re: Moving data directory

От
"Vishal Arora"
Дата:
This is also an alternative that can be used. I am not sure about windows,
but it is PGDATA variable in Linux. it can be set using export command.
- vishal

>From: "Khan, Mahmood Ahram" <Mahmood.Khan@in.unisys.com>
>To: "Vishal Arora"
><aroravishal22@hotmail.com>,<indolinux.geeks@gmail.com>,<stellr@cns.vt.edu>
>CC: <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
>Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Moving data directory
>Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 11:11:00 +0530
>
>No needs to specify in pg_ctl start/stop clause instead add a variable
>in PATH. PG_DATA = d:\postgresdata\data. It is start by just typing
>pg_ctl start/stop.
>Thanks & Best Regards
>
>M.AHRAM KHAN

Catch suspicious messages before you open them�with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507